2013 Recruit Question

auburnandjagsfan

We all know Cameron Luper is the son of CCL.  As of now, he has offer from some midmajors.  He may or may not receive a scholly from AU.  My question starts here, would they offer him a full scholarship or just a preferred walk on??  As a faculty member (unless things have changed) CCL's children go to school 1/2 off.  Do you things may go that route?  Think about it, Auburn could easily give CCL a raise to cover the other 50% and save the scholly.  Just something I have thought about.  Thoughts?

We have had sons of AU coaches here in the past...Ensminger comes to mind...and I think he was on scholarship.  JMO but I would prefer that we not be looking to pull an NS and try to find some loophole for young Luper.  If he meets the normal standards of players we are recruiting, make him an offer...if not, let him go somewhere that he can play and enjoy his college athletic experience.   

Again, JMO, but I doubt Coach Luper expects AU to offer unless Cam is a legitimate SEC prospect.    :dunno:

We all know Cameron Luper is the son of CCL.  As of now, he has offer from some midmajors.  He may or may not receive a scholly from AU.  My question starts here, would they offer him a full scholarship or just a preferred walk on??  As a faculty member (unless things have changed) CCL's children go to school 1/2 off.  Do you things may go that route?  Think about it, Auburn could easily give CCL a raise to cover the other 50% and save the scholly.  Just something I have thought about.  Thoughts?

Joe Whitt Jr. was a walkon player for awhile. Not sure if he ever got an athletic schollie or not. If I`m not wrong, you can only have 85 schollies on thre roster at a time even if one is on a different type; academic or whatever. Keeps a school from putting players on suspect schollies.

Joe Whitt Jr. was a walkon player for awhile. Not sure if he ever got an athletic schollie or not. If I`m not wrong, you can only have 85 schollies on thre roster at a time even if one is on a different type; academic or whatever. Keeps a school from putting players on suspect schollies.

Exactly right.

bahr used to have football players on track, baseball, basketball, golf, swimming, tiddlywinks and anything else he could find.  that was one way he could have 185 players on the team.

What pos. , class?

2013 and Ath (likely DB). I will say this though. watch out for Oregon if they offer him as a QB. He would be perfect in that system.

Re Shug's comment. 

SEC / NCAA had to make some changes once the states with lottery started giving scholarships to so many kids.  But apparently it only applies to football cause one of the big problems for the AU baseball program is that most other SEC states (especially the East Div) give general scholarships and half their teams are on non-athletic scholarships which allows them to use the limited baseball scholarships for out-of-state students. 

As for CL...expect there are some olther schools where his style of play would be better appreciated.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that a football player who receives any scholarship or discounted tuition counts against the 85 scholarship total. 

So, for example, you can't put a dual sport player on a baseball scholarship and he not count against the 85 if he is also playing football.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that a football player who receives any scholarship or discounted tuition counts against the 85 scholarship total. 

So, for example, you can't put a dual sport player on a baseball scholarship and he not count against the 85 if he is also playing football.

You used a double negative there my friend. It would have been easier to say a dual sport player on a baseball scholarship also counts against the 85 if he is also playing football....and you are correct.

If it comes from the institution, yeah. Pretty sure a soldier who came back from being overseas and had the military paying his tuition could play and not count against the 85, but I'm not positive.

Have any of you ever played for your Dad,I did and it was not a fun season.

But is the younger Luper a running back? Otherwise, he wouldn't be coached much by his dad...

You used a double negative there my friend. It would have been easier to say a dual sport player on a baseball scholarship also counts against the 85 if he is also playing football....and you are correct.

Yes, even scholastic as I understand it. I have a friend who this applied to at Bama.

Archived