Thoughts from the Weekend

The good

-Really encouraged by the starting pitching.  Varnadore and Koger pitched great.  Slade Smith wasn't too bad just judging by the box score. 

-Trey Cochran-Gill pitched great

-We have speed and can get guys on base.

The bad

-No home runs, we'll struggle to hit for power this weekend.

-Base running mistakes and errors cost us (similar to last year).

-Zach Alvord looked like he had no confidence on Friday (the newcomer Glevenyak looks to get a lot of playing time going forward).

-And most importantly, we seemed to lack that killer instinct in the rubber match.  Last year it seemed like we found ways to lose (inopportune errors/leaving runners on base) just stuff that kills you.

Overall, it was a bad weekend (not terrible) but disappointing to not be able to take the series after we played so well Friday.  Our pitching will keep us in games.  The questions become, Can we score some runs?  Can we cut down on errors?  Can we be a team that believes it can and finds ways to win?  Hopefully so.  2 midweek games against a good Alcorn State team, lets get back on track and take a winning streak into Tuscon.

Alcorn State lost to LSU 19-0.. I wouldn't call them good.

Alcorn State is NOT good.

They have played 3 games against a decent Missouri team.  I would consider one of those games blown.  I do agree that there were some errors and mistakes not considered errors.  Our hitting will have to come around and Coach Pawlowski will have to adjust the lineup some to get the consistent hitters at the top.  The starting pitching was pretty good, the bullpen will have to carry it's weight for us to be successful. 

It is way too early to compare this team to previous teams.  I will hold judgement for a few more series. 

So I was fortunate enough to see most of this series. Here are a few observations from this weekend.

1.) We do a really good job of working counts and finding ways on base. Very rarely are we swinging at garbage pitches. I thought we did a solid job of forcing Mizzou to come to us. And we got plenty of men on base throughout the series

2.) Starting pitching was very good for opening weekend. I did not get to see Slade unfortunately but Derek and Daniel both looked solid. I think Koger has a chance of locking that Saturday spot down if he can go further into games. There's no doubt Varnadore is the ace and with him we have a shot at beating anybody

3.) Very aggressive on the basepaths. This was good and bad this weekend. I like the fact that with the speed we have on this team that we are looking to advance everytime. However I believe we got picked off three times this weekend and ran ourselves out of a few possible big innings. Have to clean that up

4.) Fielding issues are still there. Especially Smith at third. He had 2 errors this weekend and that last one hurt as both of those runners ended up scoring. I will say that I think SS and 2B play is a lot strong and Cooper looked good at first

5.) Still struggling in the clutch. Both pitching and batting struggled to get those clutch plays. We needed a pitcher to throw strikes Sunday afternoon and nobody stepped up and did. Then we needed someone to get that important hit and again we failed. Those are things you can't coach. The players have to step up in the moment and get those big plays

6.) Blake Austin and Dan Glevenyak should be higher up in the order. Every time Austin was up to bat he made good contact including a few doubles. He stepped up there late but unfortunately was left on base. I really like Dan's stroke as well plus he seemed solid in the field. These 2 guys I thought looked the best at the plate this weekend

7.) The bullpen is still a question mark for me. Blatt looked pretty solid Friday and then not so much Sunday. Ortman did not look good in either of his appearances. However Trey Cochran Gill was outstanding and I though Justin Bryant looked strong in his comeback. Anybody know why we didn't see Ethan Wallen? He was 5-5 with 5 saves last year but did not get an appearance this weekend. I was hoping after Ortman gave in a run that we would bring him in

8.) Outside of Austin and maybe Cooper I did not see much power on this team. We most likely will be dead last in homeruns this season in the SEC. That's not necessarily a bad thing as long as we can get those clutch hits and execute hit and runs. Still it would be nice to have one guy in the lineup that scares opponents. Right now I don't think anyone in our lineup is that intimidating

Personally this is what lineup I would go with in Tucson. Again this is after 3 games so I'm sure some guys will step up and other fall but based on what I saw this is who I would start

Friday: Varnadore

Saturday: Koger

Sunday: Smith/Luckie/Jacobs (haven't seen Jacobs and Luckie this season so not sure)

1.) RF Jay Gonzalez

2.) SS Dan Glevenyak

3.) C Blake Austin

4.) 1b Garret Cooper

5.) 2b Creede Simpson

6.) CF Ryan Tella

7.) DH Cullen Wacker/Patrick Savage (depends on whether facing a RHP or LHP)

8.) 3b Jarred Smith

9.) LF Bobby Andrews

Bobby seemed to struggle in the leadoff spot this weekend. I would move him last like we did Hargett last year to give us some speed in the bottom of the order. Jay seemed to do well getting on base but not driving in runs necessarily. Again Dan and Blake seemed to get a good at bat every time they were up and Austin was the only guy I would consider clutch this weekend. I think Creede is solid in that 5 or 6 hole. Tella is the question mark to me. He has the ability to be a 3 hole hitter but he sure did not look confident at the plate Sunday. Again I expect my opinion to change after this week but as of right now that's who I would go with

It is still early and hard to tell how this team will end up. We MUST win our weekday games. That absolutely killed us last season. No excuse but to come out and sweep Alcorn State. I'm hoping Jon Luke and Luckie get some work in these games. Arizona will be a challenge. We must at least get one and of course I'm always hoping for 2. I thought Coach P made a few questionable decision pitching wise in the 2nd game Sunday so I'm hoping he sorts out what he wants to do in the bullpen. At the end of the day I just want this team to find a way to Hoover. I think they can do it if they execute better and step up in crunch time

:we:

Also for all those interested here's how stat wise we look after one series

Record: 1-2

Batting            AB    H    AVG     2B    3B    HR    RBI    OBP    SB

Blake Austin          9     5    .556     4       0     0      2     .600     0

Dan Glevenyak       6     3    .500     0      0      0      0     .625   1-1

Jay Gonzalez         12    5    .417     0      0     0       2     .500   4-5

Creede Simpson     10    4    .400     1      0      0      1     .500   1-2

Garrett Cooper       9     3    .333     1      0      0      2     .500    1-1

Cullen Wacker        7     2    .286     1      0      0      3     .375     0

Patrick Savage       7     2    .286     0      0     0       0      .286    0

Bobby Andrews      11    2    .182     0      0      0      0      .308    1-2

Ryan Tella             12    2    .167     1      0      0      1     .231     0

Jarred Smith          6      1    .167    0       0      0      1     .444    0-1

Zach Alvord           4     0     .000    0       0      0      0     .000    0

Pitching                         ERA    IP     H     R     ER    BB    K

Derek Varnadore (1-0)     1.29   7      5     1     1      1     11

Daniel Koger                   0.00    5      5     1     0     3      5

Slade Smith (0-1)           9.64   4.2    9     5     5     2      3

Trey Cochran Gill            2.45    3.2   3     1     1      0      1

Zach Blatt (0-1)            13.50   2.0   2     3     3      1      3

Dillon Ortman                 0.00    1.2   0     0     0      4      2

Justin Bryant                 9.00    1.0   0     1     1      1      0

I wonder if Justin Bryant has been practicing hitting.  He had a great bat 2 years ago.  Could really help us out at DH.  I think Tella remains in the middle of the order and Austin settles in somewhere between 4-6.  I do like your 9,1, 2 though Tigerpaw.

Archived