Arizona series preview

So here's a look at what the Tigers will be facing this weekend

#8 Arizona 3-1

Pitching Matchups

Friday: Derek Varnadore (1-0 1.29 era) vs Kurt Heyer (1-0 1.29 era)

Saturday: Daniel Koger (0-0 0.00 era) vs Konner Wade (0-0 2.45 era)

Sunday: Slade Smith (0-1 9.64 era) vs James Ferris (0-0 0.00 era)

Kurt Heyer Breakdown

Heyer is their ace and he's good. He's a junior RHP that has a good fastball that sinks some that allowed him to give up only 5 HRs last season so don't expect any longballs from the Tigers. Last season he was a 3rd team all american and was named to the College Station all tournament team. Has been their ace the last two seasons and has a combined record of 15-9 record. His era last season was 2.41 and struck out 128 batters. Had a great showing in the Cape Code League posting a 2-0 record with 3.18 era.  Some scouts have him this early as a possible top 10 pick but most certainly an early draft choice. Last week against North Dakota State he had some rust early in the first inning but was shut down the rest of the way going 7 innings and striking out 7 wiht 5 hits and 2 walks to get the opening day 3-1 win for the Wildcats. This is gonna be a real tough one to win so let's hope Derek is on his game like last weekend.

Konner Wade

Wade is a sophomore RHP that set the Arizona freshman era record last season (3.21). Had only six games as a regular in the starting rotation, he posted a 2-0 record with a 2.94 ERA in 33.2 innings. Struck out 13 and issued just seven walks ... Improved to 3-0 on season with sensational performance against Seton Hall in an elimination game at the College Station Regional. In 2010 he was drafted by the Diamondbacks in the 35th round but decided to be a Wildcat. Last weekend Wade was flat out amazing where he struck out 13 batters in 7.1 innings surrendering only 2 hits and 2 ER. He walked 2 and unfortunately for him he did not have the scoring to back him up and received a no decision. This kid is really solid and I hope Koger is up for the challlenge

James Ferris

Ferris is a sophomore RHP that did not get much action last season. However in his first appearance this season he was spectacular going the distance in the Arizona's 8-0 series clinching win. He struck out 6 and surrendered 5 hits with no walks. Not much info on him but it looks like he is making the most of his first significant innings at Arizona

Hitting Stats (Possible lineup)

CF Joey Rickard .467 2RBI 3/3 SB

2B Trent Gilbert .167

RF Robert Refsnyder .500 5 RBI 5/5 SB

LF Johnny Field .700 2 RBI 2/3 SB

DH Bobby Brown .000 RBI

1B Brandon Dixon .091 RBI 3/3 SB

C Riley Moore .077 3 RBI

SS Alex Mejia .267 6 RBI

They seem to be a small ball team like us with the number of stolen bases they have and no HRs. The middle of their order is potent and they have some speed on their team as well. They weren't exactly explosive on offense last weekend and seem to be heavily focused on pitching and pushing runs across

Overall this is gonna be a real tough challenge for this team. Arizona has sold out all their home games this year and you know they will show up for this one. They have a ridiculous starting rotations. However whenever Varnadore is on the mound I feel like we have a shot. The key is getting those hits with RISP. I'm hoping to see us possibly get to these guys early and get to their bullpen which is solid but I think hittable. We need either Slade or Daniel (preferably both) to step up. Honestly I think we only get one and lose 2. But I could see us if we execute get 2 of them. I just hope we don't get swept like against Arizona State the past few seasons. This will be a good early test for this squad. War Eagle and let's get a big top 10 series win!!!

I have no confidence going into these non-conference series due to how much we've struggled in the past.  I would be happy with 1 win.  Sounds like Arizona has a really solid rotation.  Maybe our small ball will pay off.  A bunt single by Andrews or Gonzalez, a squeeze play with a man at 3rd, stealing bases.  These are the type of things you can and have to do against great pitching.  My hope is that we have some good pitching ourselves and don't make mistakes to get beat.  Its baseball though, anything can happen.

:we:

Love these breakdowns. Thanks for the info, TigerPaw.

I do too. I'd like to add my thanks also!

Arizona will be a very tough challenge. I hope our team can be competitive.

i dont know it's just aggravating to have to play hard ooc teams when our SEC schedule is tough enough! the same morons thought it was cute to schedule clemson in football while we have to play georgia,ark,LSU,UAT etc... as well.

i'm just tired of the mediocrity in most major sports. I was looking forward to this years baseball team and now we are 3-2 and probably lose this game as well as the next 2. Softball is undefeated so thats good!

I dont want to watch the game. We are pathetic in baseball, pathetic in mens and womens basketball, and average in football.   :pcprobs: :pcprobs: :pcprobs: :pcprobs: :pcprobs: :pcprobs:

Nice start on posting. Calm down

Archived