Food for thought

dave69

I grew up in the 50's and at that time most basketball shots (except for lay-ups) were made with the set shot.  There were basically two varieties, the one-handed and the two-handed set shots.  And free throws were also attempted with the set shot.  It wasn't until the late 50's and the early 60's that the jump shot became popular.  It offered a chance (although with a little less balance) to get a shot off with less intimidation from the defender.  Well I don't have to tell you that over the last several decades the jump shot has become the shot of choice for all teams, world-wide, outside the lay-up range (with the exception of a few pseudo hook shots, I'll explain the use of the word pseudo later).

The point I'm trying to make is this.  With the exception of Wilt Chamberlains's celebrated under-hand shot, virtually every player uses the set shot from the free throw line.  In 50's and 60's that was their favorite shot but it no longer is.  In my opinion the free throw should be attempted with the players's most comfortable shot.

In that vein I would like to suggest two things:

1. Engourage the player to use his favorite shot from the stripe.

2. Not everyone scores best from 19' directly in front of the basket.  Experiment with moving back a few steps or  moving left or right a few steps if the shot appeals to them.  I assume the entire semi-circle behind the stripe is fair territory.

I realize that for the most part I'm just an observer of the game, but I have a sneaking suspicion that a move like this could change the face of basketball today.

My mention of the pseudo hook shot refers to the fact that most so-called hook shots today are no more than highly elevated push shots.  If you want to see a true hook shot look at some video of Goose Tatum from the original Globetrotters.  Goose was about 6' 3" and a ten-foot defender couldn't block that shot.

I am a life-long Auburn fan and would like nothing more to see Auburn on the forefront of something like this.

As Takeo would say...WGDE

I grew up in the 50's and at that time most basketball shots (except for lay-ups) were made with the set shot.  There were basically two varieties, the one-handed and the two-handed set shots.  And free throws were also attempted with the set shot.  It wasn't until the late 50's and the early 60's that the jump shot became popular.  It offered a chance (although with a little less balance) to get a shot off with less intimidation from the defender.  Well I don't have to tell you that over the last several decades the jump shot has become the shot of choice for all teams, world-wide, outside the lay-up range (with the exception of a few pseudo hook shots, I'll explain the use of the word pseudo later).

The point I'm trying to make is this.  With the exception of Wilt Chamberlains's celebrated under-hand shot, virtually every player uses the set shot from the free throw line.  In 50's and 60's that was their favorite shot but it no longer is.  In my opinion the free throw should be attempted with the players's most comfortable shot.

Interesting...

In that vein I would like to suggest two things:

1. Engourage the player to use his favorite shot from the stripe.

2. Not everyone scores best from 19' directly in front of the basket.  Experiment with moving back a few steps or   moving left or right a few steps if the shot appeals to them.  I assume the entire semi-circle behind the stripe is fair territory.

I realize that for the most part I'm just an observer of the game, but I have a sneaking suspicion that a move like this could change the face of basketball today.

My mention of the pseudo hook shot refers to the fact that most so-called hook shots today are no more than highly elevated push shots.  If you want to see a true hook shot look at some video of Goose Tatum from the original Globetrotters.  Goose was about 6' 3" and a ten-foot defender couldn't block that shot.

I am a life-long Auburn fan and would like nothing more to see Auburn on the forefront of something like this.

As Takeo would say...WGDE

I too recall the old days when a couple players used the underhand shot for free throws and were quite good with it....and I recall that Hal Greer took a little jump shot for his fouls shots. 

No one shoots the old fashioned set shot from the field anymore which means the only time they try it in a game is from the foul line a couple times a game with no warm up. 

Dave...I think you have something. 

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=underhand%20foul%20shot&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDkQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdiscovermagazine.com%2F2008%2Fthe-body%2F07-physics-proves-it-everyone-should-shoot-granny-style&ei=vZtPT5upHdOltwed-umyDQ&usg=AFQjCNFrs5W5PrXTjykjN3BSU1Yvk4oSzg&cad=rja

Think of Rick Barry shooting FT's. One of the best of all time

this. aint no one arguing with red. AU should definitely incorporate the "grandma" shot if it gets better %.

i seem to recall reading that barry told shaq to try this years ago and we would not do it.  might have helped him.  he was horrible from the line.

i seem to recall reading that barry told shaq to try this years ago and we would not do it.  might have helped him.  he was horrible from the line.

Yes he did and Shaq could not make himself try it on a steady basis. I believe Shaq did try it a few times in games but his ego couldn't handle it.

Archived