Auburn mascot in danger

AU64

Check this:    http://www.chron.com/news/article/Feds-say-Wyo-tribe-s-bald-eagle-permit-a-first-3406939.php

Federal government now issueing permits for killing of Bald and Golden Eagles.  Did you ever think you would see that happen?  How long before Bama applies? 

ok you need to look at the big upside of this.  It was not long ago that the bald eagle and the golden eagle were endangered species.  Some Native American tribes in their history have taken a few of these animals for religious purposes.  Because these animals have been managed thanks in part to hunters and fishermans taxation through amunition, liscenses and taxation on other equipment they have made a comeback.  It appears that they have made enough of a comeback to allow Native Americans to take a few for their religious purposes....  Game management for game species has a direct effect on non game species.  Wet land work by groups like Ducks unlimited have surely had an affect on Bald Eagle.

ok you need to look at the big upside of this.  It was not long ago that the bald eagle and the golden eagle were endangered species.  Some Native American tribes in their history have taken a few of these animals for religious purposes.  Because these animals have been managed thanks in part to hunters and fishermans taxation through amunition, liscenses and taxation on other equipment they have made a comeback.  It appears that they have made enough of a comeback to allow Native Americans to take a few for their religious purposes....  Game management for game species has a direct effect on non game species.  Wet land work by groups like Ducks unlimited have surely had an affect on Bald Eagle.

Good post.

Very good point.  I remember growing up thinking that I would never see an actual eagle even though it is the symbol of the USA. Then I came to Auburn and saw them all the time since back then (1989) an eagle was kept on campus behind Haley Center.  Now within the past 3-4 years I have seen eagles in the wild at least twice and even had a friend take pictures of an eagle flying in Montgomery near Atlanta Hwy. 

Very good point.  I remember growing up thinking that I would never see an actual eagle even though it is the symbol of the USA. Then I came to Auburn and saw them all the time since back then (1989) an eagle was kept on campus behind Haley Center.  Now within the past 3-4 years I have seen eagles in the wild at least twice and even had a friend take pictures of an eagle flying in Montgomery near Atlanta Hwy. 

That eagle in Montgomery finds his home in the East Montgomery area/neighborhoods.  He was recently photographed on the Wynlakes golf course having just finished his "dinner" , what appeared to be a fine mallard duck.  He can be spotted at various times in the Eastchase shopping center, perched atop light poles or on roof-tops.  He's quite a specimen to see, very magestic.

I have seen Eagles while fishing on the Madison River in Wyoming. You are floating down the river, not one thing made by humans in sight (save the boat and your gear), and you see a bald eagle soaring around hunting. They really are magnificent creatures.

I understand the Native Americans request and can respect it. I wish they wouldn't however.

I am glad that conservation efforts have afforded the ability to allow them to take the animals. That is a positive sign.

Have counted as many as 26 sightings in a single day on Town Creek into Lake Guntersville.

Not necessarily 26 eagles, as they were soaring around pretty good in the high pressure. On this particular day one swooped down from a couple hundred foot perch, into a banked curved descent while looking down on me. He got to within twenty feet overhead and started squawking. He obviously thought I was a school of shad, being in a brand new baby blue metal flaked slalom canoe. Dropping a feather as he flew back overhead, I scooped it up initially, but upon circumspection decided to leave floating. Karma was in full force that day (and their feathers are generally illegal to own).

We see them often on rivers like those into Little River Canyon, South Sauty into Bucks Pocket, Town Creek, Short Creek, and other N.Alabama creeks, even on The Mulberry Fork.... This is usually a good time to spot one, as many just winter over down here. Good luck -and- WDE

Have counted as many as 26 sightings in a single day on Town Creek into Lake Guntersville. 

Not necessarily 26 eagles, as they were soaring around pretty good in the high pressure.  On this particular day one swooped down from a couple hundred foot perch, into a banked curved descent while looking down on me.  He got to within twenty feet overhead and started squawking.  He obviously thought I was a school of shad, being in a brand new baby blue metal flaked slalom canoe.  Dropping a feather as he flew back overhead, I scooped it up initially, but upon circumspection decided to leave floating. Karma was in full force that day (and their feathers are generally illegal to own).

We see them often on rivers like those into Little River Canyon, South Sauty into Bucks Pocket, Town Creek, Short Creek, and other N.Alabama creeks, even on The Mulberry Fork.... This is usually a good time to spot one, as many just winter over down here.    Good luck -and- WDE

i have no idea why the bird stooped toward you but i doubt he thought you were a school of shad or anything else. these birds have exellent vision.

i will also take it as good news that they are issueing limited permits for the natives but i certainly wish they were not.

Not to mention the banning of the pesticide that was apparently causing their demise (Chlorodane). I have seen hundres while fishing in the Ocala Forest in Florida, and large numbers all around the Tennessee River. However, I still believe it is a mistake to let people start killing them. They are not like alligators. They rerely cause anybody a problem, except for other birds.

I think we as outsiders must take into context their reasoning. Imagine for a moment that the government took away the Christian's Baptism or the Jewish Yom Kippur. While I'm not trying to be political or religious with this post, I think it is important to understand where they are coming from.

I take it as a good sign of the eagle's resurgence. I take it on good faith that the Native Americans petitioned the government to do it(because they could have did it anyway and in much larger numbers). So in my opinion they have did it the correct way and have a right(freedom of religion) to do so. I do hate that two beautiful creatures must die for it but I understand.

I also think that the eagle swooped down just to skwalk War Eagle.

I'm the very first to fight for fair treatment of animals, but at the same time, as long as there is a thriving population of eagles, Native Americans should be able to do just about whatever the hell they want with what they've had to put up with in the past 200 or so years.

I'm the very first to fight for fair treatment of animals, but at the same time, as long as there is a thriving population of eagles, Native Americans should be able to do just about whatever the hell they want with what they've had to put up with in the past 200 or so years.

This^^^^^ x1000

I will preface this by saying my paternal grandmother was 1/2 Creek Indian.  The American Indian has been mistreated by the US Government for over two hundred years.  It is almost too late to try to give them rights again.  The American Indian Culture has been degraded for so long that much of the culture has even been forgotten by their own.

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be like the Eskimo whaling fiasco.  When the US Government gave the American Eskimo the rights to hunt whales several years ago, the hunters had no idea what they were doing.  They hunted whales with bows and arrows out of canoes.  And sadly, most of them were stone drunk while doing it.  Needless to say, most of those adventures didn't end well for the Eskimos.  The whales fared much better than the Eskimos did.       

While the things that you mentioned above were certainly instrumental in helping the eagles come back from the brink of extinction, the Endangered Species Act was the instrument that set the stage for the eagle's comeback.  The cause of the eagles demise was actually the widespread use of DDT over time.  This chemical was prevalent in the eagle's food chain and the result was the thinning of the shell of the eagle's eggs.  The recovery plans required by the ESA set the stage for its comeback as well as the banning of widespread DDT use.  Just thought I would give a little historical perspective for a tremendous come back story...WAR EAGLE!

And for the record, I have no problem with Native Americans taking a few for religous purposes...as I have no problem with Eskimos taking a few whales for religous (and survival) purposes.  But the first Updyke I see try to take one will have to deal with me!

I don't like it at all.  I don't undertsand the purpose of blasting our national bird out of the sky.  When tribes can already get permits to keep captive eagles in order to obtain any products they might require. 

What kind of danger is Aubie in? :o

;)

I hear that for the first home game Aubie do the flight prior to the kick-off.  The question is whether he can make the first gliding turn when they toss him out of the cage. :laugh:

I don't like it at all.  I don't undertsand the purpose of blasting our national bird out of the sky.  When tribes can already get permits to keep captive eagles in order to obtain any products they might require. 

Ask those in the plains states how they feel about golden/bald eagles taking down their goat and sheep populations. I'm okay with it so long as its regulated correctly and done for the right reason. It's expensive enough to be a farmer these days without mother nature.

I don't like it at all. I don't undertsand the purpose of blasting our national bird out of the sky. When tribes can already get permits to keep captive eagles in order to obtain any products they might require.

Ask those in the plains states how they feel about golden/bald eagles taking down their goat and sheep populations. I'm okay with it so long as its regulated correctly and done for the right reason. It's expensive enough to be a farmer these days without mother nature.

That is another problem I have with this thing. People aren't allowed to protect their property. But others are allowed to kill the bird when there is already an avenue for them to obtain anything they need without killing wild birds. Either by a permit to keep captive birds or through the National Eagle Repository. I have lost my share of goat kids and chickens to redtail hawks here in the south. But, if I start blasting away and get caught to jail I will go. The idea that this is based on religion doesn't hold water either. It doesn't matter under federal law if you practice native american religion or not. You are prohibited from possessing legal feathers/parts unless you are a member of a federally recognized tribe or a past, present, or future member of the 101st airborne division who can have 1 single feather(these feathers cannot be passed on to family members who are not members of the division). Different rules for different groups of people is bull no matter what it is based on. But, especially when those laws are based more on race as determined by the bureau of Indian affairs rather than actual religious faith.

;)

I hear that for the first home game Aubie do the flight prior to the kick-off. The question is whether he can make the first gliding turn when they toss him out of the cage. :laugh:

If he's able to pull that off, then he will most definitely capture the national title for best mascot again next year.

For goodness sakes, look what you guys have started... Who's got the instructions for rigging a Zip Line please?

;)

I hear that for the first home game Aubie do the flight prior to the kick-off.  The question is whether he can make the first gliding turn when they toss him out of the cage. :laugh:

If he's able to pull that off, then he will most definitely capture the national title for best mascot again next year. 

I thought Wade Christopher was going to fly around the stadium prior to kickoff?

Archived