Trovon reed????

blitzingrhino55

During his recruitment wasn't it said he could be one of the best db prospects in the land. I know we promised him offense but does anyone think he may serve us better on defense???

There is a ton of talent already in the defensive backfield. Keep him on offense where he may be able to bust out as a secondary option at receiver. He is electric in the open field, it just seemed impossible to get him the ball last season for a number of reasons. My two cents.

During his recruitment wasn't it said he could be one of the best db prospects in the land. I know we promised him offense but does anyone think he may serve us better on defense???

There is a ton of talent already in the defensive backfield. Keep him on offense where he may be able to bust out as a secondary option at receiver. He is electric in the open field, it just seemed impossible to get him the ball last season for a number of reasons. My two cents.

When he did get the ball, he tried too much bob and weave instead of moving forward.  Hopefully, he's outgrown that tendancy, that I'm sure was leftover from high school. 

Up to this point he certainly does seem like he was a bit "over-rated" coming out of high-school...BUT, wasn't this his first year? I think he still has potential at WR, but I thought after watching him in the Under Armour game a couple years ago that he played much better as a DB than WR.

Again, I think he'll come into his own. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

When he did get the ball, he tried too much bob and weave instead of moving forward.  Hopefully, he's outgrown that tendancy, that I'm sure was leftover from high school. 

He did dance a bit, but that may have been because of the lack of down field blocking. He had a straight line burst at Clemson that was very impressive. I think he will be much improved this season.

^^This^^  We need him much more on offense than on defense. 

Let the guy get through at least 1 year without a serious injury and then judge his ability.  He and Bray at the very least solidified our ability to catch punts.

I'm not downing him I know he is electric with the ball in his hands. I'm sure he is coming into his own this year. Just thought he could possibly be a Thorpe winner before it was over with.

I'm not downing him I know he is electric with the ball in his hands. I'm sure he is coming into his own this year. Just thought he could possibly be a Thorpe winner before it was over with.

I think it would be too late to make that type of transition. Moving to defensive back with so many guys in front of him would be a really difficult hill to climb. I don't think the question was off base or downing him at all, I just think there is a wealth of proven talent at DB and virtually no proven talent at receiver behind Emory Blake.

Knee injury first year...second leading receiver until shoulder injury second year...he has not been healthy enough. But I have seen glimpses of his potential...his speed and balance are outstanding and he is a solid punt returner.....the kid is a baller..you will see

Knee injury first year...second leading receiver until shoulder injury second year...he has not been healthy enough. But I have seen glimpses of his potential...his speed and balance are outstanding and he is a solid punt returner.....the kid is a baller..you will see

Agreed  :bow:

Give the kid a chance. I dont know of many Freshmen who come in a light the world on fire. It takes time to get used to the speed of college, especially SEC, as well as the talent. I think that in the Trovon will live up to his hype and be a special player on offense.

It didn't help that the only pass he ever got thrown to him was a screen. Considering that the screen didn't work when anyone else caught it either, I think he did a fine job. Some variety will do all of our receivers some good I think.

Not to knock TR... But personally I saw in Quan Bray during the Chicken Bowl what I had hoped to see from Trovon. Hopefully Trovon comes into his own and the light clicks and he sets the field on fire.

Till then, I'm sure he'll be working his tail off to get better. If I remember right... Didn't Cam say Trovon was borderline stalking him to go work on routes and stuff when he got to AU? Could be remembering wrong but I think it was TR..

he caught 21 passes last year... while missing a few games to injury.

Bray caught 17 and he was still a baby... I think both will be weapons this year.

Exactly. This. We need both of them. Imagine a 3 or four wide set with both on the field at the same time. Mismatches anyone?

Up to this point he certainly does seem like he was a bit "over-rated" coming out of high-school...BUT, wasn't this his first year? I think he still has potential at WR, but I thought after watching him in the Under Armour game a couple years ago that he played much better as a DB than WR.

Again, I think he'll come into his own. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

If our Oline can protect whichever QB will be playing long enough for the QB to actually throw the ball to him, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by Reed's performance.  Honestly, with our dismal line play last year, I'm not willing to judge any of our WR's performance.  Hopefully this year will be better.

Both him and Bray have only played 1 year. Both are studs and will develop over the next year or two. If anything, I hope Emory shows them the ropes this year to help the program. I trust he is to some extent.

I get the feeling AU is looking to use larger WR's in the new offense (just look at recruiting). His chances to touch the ball may be limited to special teams and some limited slot stuff when they go 3 wide.

It just doesn't seem like smaller WR's are putting up big numbers in the SEC.

Archived