Sooners...running up score

AU4Ever

OK was ahead of Kansas 35-10 with about a minute left to play. Stoops still had the 1st team in going after another score. ESPN announcer said that Stoops had told everyone he would run up the score as much as possible. His motive is to impress the voters who don't watch the game.

AU up 21-7 over a 1-5 UK team. Tuberville pulls the 1st team and puts the second team in the second quarter. Tuberville may be the kind that would never run up the score. But IMO, this is the type of game we need to pour it on as much as possible.

"Hey you want me to stop scoring on offense, put a defense out there that can stop me." - Steve Spurrier.

Aslong as his players don't get hurt and his backups don't get frustrated, Stoops can do whatever he wants. Stoops wants to show the BCS people that his team deserves to be in the NC. Can't blame him

It was with 35 seconds left in the game. That's just terrible. Every voter is going to know he went first string and did it in that final 35 seconds, it wouldn't impress me if I was a voter.

It was with 35 seconds left in the game.  That's just terrible.  Every voter is going to know he went first string and did it in that final 35 seconds, it wouldn't impress me if I was a voter.

114136[/snapback]

the game wasnt televised. that was the point he was trying to make. voters from up north and out west only look at the box scores. i think it was smart on his part.

It was with 35 seconds left in the game.  That's just terrible.  Every voter is going to know he went first string and did it in that final 35 seconds, it wouldn't impress me if I was a voter.

114136[/snapback]

the game wasnt televised. that was the point he was trying to make. voters from up north and out west only look at the box scores. i think it was smart on his part.

114139[/snapback]

He shouldn't have announced that he was going to do it, those guys see the highlights (sportscenter, gameday final etc) and every highlight shows him scoring with 35 seconds and the hosts saying Stoops said he would do this to impress the voters. I don't think that one touchdown is going to make a difference anyway, but it does bring back up the cncern they had a few years ago about running up the score.

Stoops is classless when things don't go his way, like when he talked big about revenge against Okla State a couple years ago and turned his back and walked away from Les Miles while he was trying to wish them luck in the championship game after the pokes handed it to them.

Even if Auburn was to run up scores it won't really matter unless teams ahead of us lose. Our preseason ranking was too high to begin with.

Of course, none of this matters if we lose a game.

"Hey you want me to stop scoring on offense, put a defense out there that can stop me." - Steve Spurrier.

Aslong as his players don't get hurt and his backups don't get frustrated, Stoops can do whatever he wants. Stoops wants to show the BCS people that his team deserves to be in the NC. Can't blame him

114071[/snapback]

exactly! I wish we dropped a few more touchdowns on UK. If thats what it takes to impress the voters, then thats what we should be doing.

But Spurrier did that with his second string offense late in games and I honestly can't remember him throwing TD's on a beat team with 35 seconds left.

I'm all for getting the second string in and letting them run the offense.

Anyway, when they look at the box score and see White to whoever at 14:15 in the fourth I really doubt it will swing what they were gonna do with their vote anyway.

Far as computers, they have played one ranked team and one road game so far this year, they perform well against OSU and Texas aTm they will move up with the cpu's.

I don't mind his running up the score. If he wants to risk injury to do it, that's fine by me. It isn't going to make a difference. Everyone knows that Kansas is no good.

But for a contrast in attitude, I offer:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha...60930811810.xml

The Tigers just turned it up for a couple of quick scores, took all their starters out and coasted home, figuring they had done enough to hold their national ranking and their No. 4 spot in the Bowl Championship Series standings.

"We pretty much dominated the game," said Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville. "It could have been worse than what it was. But there was no use in it."

Think Tuberville called off the wolves? Auburn threw only five passes in the second half, none in the fourth quarter. Certainly the 1-6 Wildcats could do nothing to stop Auburn, a team that has been challenged just once this season, that coming five weeks ago against LSU.

One day, I hope, the NCAA will have a playoff process and the playoff berths will be based soley on 1) won-loss record, then 2) won-loss records of defeated opponents to factor in strength of schedule. I've seen various proposals in the past of this sort where, for example, a team gets say 10 points for each victory, and an additional point for each victory by a defeated opponent. [Admittedly, this gives teams with an extra conference championship game a slight edge, 12 games vs. a normal 11 in a regular year. But you could just count the best 11 out of those twelve. Some might say getting to drop their worst game still favors the teams in conference play-offs, but those teams also have the extra pressure and injury risk of that last big conference championship game.]

If you want to factor in "quality victories", then award an extra point or two for that, but stop the counting after a two-score margin--i.e., a 15-point victory and a 30-point victory mean the same, so there's no reward for running up the score excessively. I'll admit that Georgia's victory over LSU looked more impressive than our's, and even if Bama had scored on their last drive to beat the Vols 20-17, our Tennessee victory was much more impressive than that would have been. But I think a 15-point margin at game's end is enough to demonstrate that a team had control of the game. An objective, purely mathematical, way to factor opponent's strength into the quality win bonus would also be helpful--beating Georgia or Miami by 15 points would be a lot more impressive than beating Kentucky by 15 points.

And while I'm on a role--

I'd then like to see the top eight teams play the first playoff round in four major New Year's Day bowls. Those four winners would advance to a 2-game semi-final round a week or so later, followed by the Championship game between the surviving two a week after that. [This would also give us the joy of college football to within a week or two of Super Bowl Sunday.]

Just my $0.02

OH...and how would Stoops have felt if one of his key players had suffered a season or career ending injury on that last drive? ...at least our young guys are going to have a lot more game experience than Stoop's next year!

114136[/snapback]

114139[/snapback]

He shouldn't have announced that he was going to do it, those guys see the highlights (sportscenter, gameday final etc) and every highlight shows him scoring with 35 seconds and the hosts saying Stoops said he would do this to impress the voters. I don't think that one touchdown is going to make a difference anyway, but it does bring back up the cncern they had a few years ago about running up the score.

Stoops is classless when things don't go his way, like when he talked big about revenge against Okla State a couple years ago and turned his back and walked away from Les Miles while he was trying to wish them luck in the championship game after the pokes handed it to them.

114166[/snapback]

Stoops paid Miles back last year: 59-9 :blink: , These guys pissed him off too: UT:65-13, and TAMU 77-0... Don't get on Stoops bad side... B)

Helps recruiting too I hear...

Guess Stoops should have used some of those points from last year in the previous two meetings with Myles. That e-card is pretty funny considering the previous year OU spent the whole year talking about getting revenge, that it wouldn't happen again, that the 16-13 game was a fluke, and they got it handed to them.

Exactly what does any of what you posted have to do with the fact that Stoops wasn't man enough to accept another coach wishing him luck in the Big 12 championship game after he lost?

Guess Stoops should have used some of those points from last year in the previous two meetings with Myles.  That e-card is pretty funny considering the previous year OU spent the whole year talking about getting revenge, that it wouldn't happen again, that the 16-13 game was a fluke, and they got it handed to them.

Exactly what does any of what you posted have to do with the fact that Stoops wasn't man enough to accept another coach wishing him luck in the Big 12 championship game after he lost?

114409[/snapback]

Is that fact or conjecture??? I don't know the history of their relationship. There might be more than meets the eye, not just the "not man enough" hypothesis.

Running up the score is nothing new for OU. I lived in Norman OK during the end of the Switzer years, trying to explain the excitement of SEC Football to Sooner Fans that were pissed off if the margin of victory was less than 50 points. They only had a couple of tough games every year--so their only excitement was running up the score. Those years Switzer would dress out nearly 90 players and play the first team the whole game. After five years in Boomer Sooner Land I really felt sorry for how much real football they missed over the years they only had to play in one or two real games a year to win a MNC..

Guess Stoops should have used some of those points from last year in the previous two meetings with Myles.  That e-card is pretty funny considering the previous year OU spent the whole year talking about getting revenge, that it wouldn't happen again, that the 16-13 game was a fluke, and they got it handed to them.

114409[/snapback]

Is that fact or conjecture??? I don't know the history of their relationship. There might be more than meets the eye, not just the "not man enough" hypothesis.

114421[/snapback]

It's fact, I watched it happen on Fox Sports immediatly following the game during the handshake. The shot was clear, and the mic was right there, why I know exactly what Myles said. Stoops was pissed they lost and badly and was a poor sport about it.

114409[/snapback]

114421[/snapback]

It's fact, I watched it happen on Fox Sports immediatly following the game during the handshake. The shot was clear, and the mic was right there, why I know exactly what Myles said. Stoops was pissed they lost and badly and was a poor sport about it.

114433[/snapback]

Like I said, I'm sure you saw Stoops not shake hands, but I don't know the history behind it. Sounds like sour grapes from UT fans. Several years of thrashings at the hands of Stoops can do that to the fan base. At least THIS year the horns kept it respectable.

Archived