Justin Garrett

blitzingrhino55

I would be shocked if Garrett challenges Bates for a starting spot. I haven't read anything about him being challenged.

I don't think they're "battling" to be honest with you.

Really hope Garrett can put on some weight.

Read the article that says Clint was back throwing today on elephants practice notes list. Thigpen says could be the best battle to watch. I know I was shocked to.

Thig maybe said that, but I don't believe one second that Bates is in jeopardy of losing his starting role. Might have been Thig's way to get a little more leadership out of his senior.

Is anyone impressed or surprised about the good battle him and bates are having this spring??? Kid has range!!!

Yes, I was suprised.

IMO this says alot about the development of Garrett. Bates is a senior who is a 4 year starter and I surely hope

Thig did't make those comment to get him motivated to fight for his starting position...I would like to

believe that those comments was genuine about Garretts maturation. 

I thought Garrett actually looked pretty good last year when he got out there. He's got a great range and seems to run well. I think Bates for sure will start but would love to see Garrett get plenty of reps this season as I think he can take that spot over next season. I had also heard he had bulked up some which is good

IMO, Garrett played well last year in his limited role.  He was thrust in a little early out of necessity, but responded very well.  Last year, I thought he would push Bates this spring, not over take him by any means, but definitely push him.  They are very similar players, both have great range and can run.  I think that Garrett will play a good bit this year and be ready to step in after Bates moves on. Garrett is 3-4 inches taller which plays into CBVG desire for larger LBs also.

I liked what I saw from JG in the HC game last year. He was the one guy whose play really jumped out at me.

With new a system and new responsibilities, who knows who may grasp it best. With the talent on this team,

whoever can understand his assignments first can be playing "all out" while others are playing more cautious. :dunno:

JG definitely did well for being thrust into the fire as a true freshman last year . Like others have said, he has great range and really seems to fly to the ball. If he continues to put on weight he'll be a very good OLB for us.

Hopefully we are well beyond the days when the starting LBs had to play an entire game with almost no plays off. We had guys playing with pretty debilitating injuries and guys playing out of position for most of the last two years. 

It's very encouraging to read that there is good competition for the starting slots and some solid reserves everywhere.

:thumbsup:

Hopefully we are well beyond the days when the starting LBs had to play an entire game with almost no plays off. We had guys playing with pretty debilitating injuries and guys playing out of position for most of the last two years. 

It's very encouraging to read that there is good competition for the starting slots and some solid reserves everywhere.

:thumbsup:

You bet it is and we are going to see a lot more of this competition in the next year from the kids in these last 2 classes.

Archived