MicroTransactions

Wrong board I know but figured I would ask on a board where someone much smarter than me could answer.

Is there a way to implement micro-transactions on a site like this?  I always see where the donations are down and the site needs money.  It seems with all the success of micro transaction it is a shame you can't put a paypal button on the page each morning when you log in asking if you would like to donate $.25 or $.50.  Sure, it isn't hard to go to paypal and donate $10.00 but if the option was there every morning to donate a quarter I would think people would be more likely to click "donate quarter" and then read the topics of the day.  Just a thought...not sure if this type of thing is even possible.

:thumbsup:

Wrong board I know but figured I would ask on a board where someone much smarter than me could answer.

Is there a way to implement micro-transactions on a site like this?  I always see where the donations are down and the site needs money.  It seems with all the success of micro transaction it is a shame you can't put a paypal button on the page each morning when you log in asking if you would like to donate $.25 or $.50.  Sure, it isn't hard to go to paypal and donate $10.00 but if the option was there every morning to donate a quarter I would think people would be more likely to click "donate quarter" and then read the topics of the day.  Just a thought...not sure if this type of thing is even possible.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good idea!

Sounds like a good idea but maybe with a menu for different amounts; $.50; $1.00;$5.00 etc. I would be more inclined to do $5.00 or $10.00 ever so often than $.50 cents to be honest. JMHO.

That sounds like a great idea, but the link they have allows you to donate however much you want.  If you want to go through the process of donating $.50 each day or week, I think you can.

good ideas, guys

I do websites for a living and my employer puts an emphasis on usability and accessibility. This suggestion, while commendable and is a great idea on the surface, would annoy most users and thus would possibly discourage users from donating and in a worst-case, participating.

If I may, I suggest a 'goal meter' directly related to costs and current balance. This would be an image, such as a thermometer, which showed what the current donation balance is and what AE desires.

I will, and do, donate, but I would also be more than happy to donate my development skills if you would so desire. MODS, please send me a private message if you are interested.

I agree that many would prefer to pay the $5 or $10 every so often.  People have different ways they manage money.  Some pay their car insurance once every 6 months and some  pay it monthly.  Some people budget and some people spend cash in their pockets until it is gone.  My thought was, if there was a quick way to click a button to donate a small some, some people would do it regularly.  I think having the option to donate more as you can now should still remain.

I have no idea about integration, but if you somehow make it a one or two click process (which I assume is a big if) then you potentially have people donating "the change in their pocket" which adds up.  1,065 people have read this post at the time of this message. The money could add up quickly.

I agree that it should be as unintrusive as possible or you may annoy someone.  It should just be on the side of the page to be clicked if anyone chose to do so.

good ideas, guys

I do websites for a living and my employer puts an emphasis on usability and accessibility. This suggestion, while commendable and is a great idea on the surface, would annoy most users and thus would possibly discourage users from donating and in a worst-case, participating.

If I may, I suggest a 'goal meter' directly related to costs and current balance. This would be an image, such as a thermometer, which showed what the current donation balance is and what AE desires.

I will, and do, donate, but I would also be more than happy to donate my development skills if you would so desire. MODS, please send me a private message if you are interested.

This is probably a better idea. You can already donate as little or as much as you would like and as often as you would like. You just have to follow one of the links in previous posts. But a meter showing current level and what is needed would really be nice. It can be seen and hopefully will reduce if not remove the need for threads that "our site needs funds or it's going to go down". maybe a link to donate on the bottom of the meter. click on over and donate.

Archived