Are there any top Running backs recruits

PowerI

Have heard that the talent is down in alabama this year. Has anybody heard of any top running back recruits that are considering committing to Auburn? We have capable back-ups but they don't have the talent of Carnell or Ronnie. We need another bruiser like Rudy or Ronnie.

Have heard that the talent is down in alabama this year.  Has anybody heard of any top running back recruits that are considering committing to Auburn?  We have capable back-ups but they don't have the talent of Carnell or Ronnie.  We need another bruiser like Rudy or Ronnie.

114311[/snapback]

Actually, I think our back-ups are much more than "capable." At this point, Carl Stewart is only a RS Freshman. Give him a little time and he's going to surprise a lot of people. I think the emphasis in recruiting for AU needs to be on the hogmollies up front. :au: WDE

Antone Smith out of Florida is now looking at us. He's not a bruiser, but he's super fast and rated the number 1 All purpose back by rivals.com

He's the highest rated RB we're going after right now from what I've read.

There aren't many great RB's we're recruiting that we stand a great chance with. I for one, am not worried at all about the future at RB. It's the future at WR and LB we need to worry about. After next season, the experience level there will die. We need some great replacements to come in.

These are based on theinsider's rankings:

Antone Smith, the #3 RB, from Pahokee, FL has us on his list, but Miami is his leader.

Tony Wright, the #12 RB, from Fort Valley, GA has us on his list, and he attended our camp, but we haven't offered him. Maybe we know something that other schools don't.

Richie Rich, the #23 RB, from Wheeler HS in Marietta, GA has us on his list, and it looks like it is between us and NC State, who is the leader.

Mike Davis, the #25 RB, from Columbia, SC has us on his list, and there is no clear leader among the 9 schools.

We have a verbal commit from Ali Shareef, the #36 RB, from North Jackson HS in Stevenson, AL. He is listed as the top RB in Alabama this year and the #9 overall in-state prospect. There are no other RBs on the map in the state. He chose us over offers from Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, and Georgia.

Don't forget about The IRONS kid. I think he may be something special the way he ran in all of the practices and A day games. Now look at our defense and we know he must be able to run.

We have Irons, Tre Smith, Carl Stewart, Brad Lester, new recruit Ali Sharrieff, and Fullback McLaughlin from Miss. Ahmed Mayo is a super back from Georgia who will probably sign too. From what I hear, Sharrief is not lock for us now since he is visiting Bammer.

We have Irons, Tre Smith, Carl Stewart, Brad Lester, new recruit Ali Sharrieff, and Fullback McLaughlin from Miss. Ahmed Mayo is a super back from Georgia who will probably sign too. From what I hear, Sharrief is not lock for us now since  he is visiting Bammer.

114331[/snapback]

...and Gerald Watson. :au:

We have Irons, Tre Smith, Carl Stewart, Brad Lester, new recruit Ali Sharrieff, and Fullback McLaughlin from Miss. Ahmed Mayo is a super back from Georgia who will probably sign too. From what I hear, Sharrief is not lock for us now since  he is visiting Bammer.

114331[/snapback]

Have the coaches ruled out playing Gerald Watson at RB?

Whatever happened to Tre Smith?  Is he strictly special teams now?

114325[/snapback]

He's been troubled by a shoulder injury this year. Apparently, his shoulder keeps popping out on him -- he's had this problem since his HS years.

{For all the bammie posters out there, the above is not an excuse for how poorly AU has performed in rushing statistics this year. :D This is just normal football injuries that occur as a result of playing in a collision sport -- tough break for Tre.}

What happened to the fellow from :usc: ?

114344[/snapback]

Kenny Irons had to sit out a year (this season) because of the transfer. Look for him to be Caddy's replacement next year. Bonus: Kenny's brother, David Irons, should be fully recuperated from the torn ACL he suffered this year and will provide AU with another lockdown CB. {See, bammies? You're not the only team to have untimely injuries to personnel in the skill positions.} David Irons has had his own stretch of bad luck. If all goes well, he'll persevere and realize his dream of playing ball for AU as a senior next year.

we have really good backups. kenny irons (the kid from south carolina) looked GREAT in spring. carl stewart looks every bit as good as ronnie did his rs freshman year. tre is a proven commodity if he can get healthy (heard him say a medical redshirt is likely the other day). those three guys alone could make us one of the best rushing teams in the conference. jerald watson has been playing (not necessarily well, but playing) at tailback this year. brad lester has too. i hear ali shareef is going to be a db when he gets here. i'm not worried about the tailback spot for a while.

we have really good backups. kenny irons (the kid from south carolina) looked GREAT in spring. carl stewart looks every bit as good as ronnie did his rs freshman year. tre is a proven commodity if he can get healthy (heard him say a medical redshirt is likely the other day). those three guys alone could make us one of the best rushing teams in the conference. jerald watson has been playing (not necessarily well, but playing) at tailback this year. brad lester has too. i hear ali shareef is going to be a db when he gets here. i'm not worried about the tailback spot for a while.

114350[/snapback]

Irons looked fantastic during Spring!

114331[/snapback]

Have the coaches ruled out playing Gerald Watson at RB?

114335[/snapback]

jerald watson played running back yesterday. he had 18 yds on 8 carries.

everyone is pretty much right on here.

AU coaches have said all along we are only going to sign a true RB in this class if he was an absolute stud.

Iron and Smith will be fantastic RB's next year - not to mention Stewart, Lester, and Watson.

Sharrief will probably play defense at Auburn - despite his RB ranking.

Antone Smith would be HUGE

Archived