Trouble with current players?

MJ2144

ST posted this on facebook...

"Langford, McAfee and Noel Johnson futures as AU basketball players are in serious jeopardy. Release could come as early as today."

...any have any ideas?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barbee thus far, has done a very poor job of evaluating our players.  Are they good basketball players?...Yeah.  Are they willing to achieve success off the court?  We need kids who want to become Auburn Men.  Nuff said.  If this is true, Coach Barbee needs to change his recruiting evaluation process very quickly.  IMO he has underachieved.

Sorry for the negative stuff, but this is not the correct process to build the foundation of our basketball program.

Hopefully, he can develop the players we have remaining on our roster.

Barbee thus far, has done a very poor job of evaluating our players.  Are they good basketball players?...Yeah.  Are they willing to achieve success off the court?  We need kids who want to become Auburn Men.  Nuff said.  If this is true, Coach Barbee needs to change his recruiting evaluation process very quickly.  IMO he has underachieved.

Sorry for the negative stuff, but this is not the correct process to build the foundation of our basketball program.

We had a guy who did this and we ran him off.

How can you evaluate what 18 yr old kids are going to do once they get on a college campus?  Just being realistic here, but the kids we recruit don't care about becoming Auburn Men, that title has no value or meaning to them as 18 yr olds....in all honesty, I didn't fully understand it at 18.  Once they are here for a few years and grow and mature and real life starts inching closer...that's when being an Auburn Man becomes important.  These are just college kids that make stupid college kid decisions...some of them learn more quickly than others and make it 4 yrs...others don't.  I just don't see how this is a Barbee issue.  I love AU and AU basketball, but frankly, we have very little appeal to recruits (no winning tradition, no recent NBA players aside from Daniels, no trips to NCAA tourney, etc...).  I think Barbee is smart to go get the most talented kids he can find, and try to whip them into shape as fast as possible. 

I'm still with Barbee. 

Also remember that he has been in the claw-and-scratch-for-any-talent-you-can-get mode. Chizik had to do this his first year, which is why the 2009 class hasn't panned out quite as well as expected. When you inherit a mess, sometimes you just have to take the best that you can get just to get bodies. I would wager that this high attrition issue will get better each year with Barbee.

We had a guy who did this and we ran him off.

How can you evaluate what 18 yr old kids are going to do once they get on a college campus?  Just being realistic here, but the kids we recruit don't care about becoming Auburn Men, that title has no value or meaning to them as 18 yr olds....in all honesty, I didn't fully understand it at 18.  Once they are here for a few years and grow and mature and real life starts inching closer...that's when being an Auburn Man becomes important.  These are just college kids that make stupid college kid decisions...some of them learn more quickly than others and make it 4 yrs...others don't.  I just don't see how this is a Barbee issue.  I love AU and AU basketball, but frankly, we have very little appeal to recruits (no winning tradition, no recent NBA players aside from Daniels, no trips to NCAA tourney, etc...).  I think Barbee is smart to go get the most talented kids he can find, and try to whip them into shape as fast as possible. 

I'm still with Barbee. 

Great and accurate post!!!1

It's way too early to put Barbee on the hot seat but almost from the word "Go" I've been worried about the kind of kids he has been recruiting.   He's a Calipari disciple and IMO Calipari apparently does not worry much about the character or academic issues, just as long as the kid is a "player" and JC can find a way to keep the kid in school for a year or so.    

I hate to see us get on that merry-go-round with players being cycled in and out after just a season or two.  This is not the way I see any AU athletic program.   I don't know how the APR or whatever it's called is calculated, but I can see us getting in trouble with too many kids not graduating and/or not making the academic progress that is required.  

I would like to see one of the beat writers from AU do an objective analysis of our basketball program from an acdemic standpoint.  The program has been a revolving door that past two years and accepting that the current three players are still in the "rumor" stage, there is too much of this stuff.

It's way too early to put Barbee on the hot seat but almost from the word "Go" I've been worried about the kind of kids he has been recruiting.   He's a Calipari disciple and IMO Calipari apparently does not worry much about the character or academic issues, just as long as the kid is a "player" and JC can find a way to keep the kid in school for a year or so.    

I hate to see us get on that merry-go-round with players being cycled in and out after just a season or two.  This is not the way I see any AU athletic program.   I don't know how the APR or whatever it's called is calculated, but I can see us getting in trouble with too many kids not graduating and/or not making the academic progress that is required.  

I would like to see one of the beat writers from AU do an objective analysis of our basketball program from an acdemic standpoint.  The program has been a revolving door that past two years and accepting that the current three players are still in the "rumor" stage, there is too much of this stuff.

I hate to disagree with you, as I agree with most things you post, but I wouldn't mind if we had a few one and done players that are leaving to go the NBA. It's the ones who aren't going pro that leave after a year or so because they can't make the grades or whatever that looks bad.

Lets see...since Barbee's arrival  he has not been able to sustain a full roster. I understand there will be attrition for every team with graduation, transfers, non qualifers, players being dismissed, ECT. What I'm getting at is he needs to recruit a different type of student athlete.  I'm talking about kids that are MATURE and outwork the competition. We don't need to be like Kentucky, we need to be Auburn.  Our roster needs to be filled with guys that are unselfish and want to win in the classroom and on the court. We need guys that love Auburn.  See teams like Gonzaga, Butler, Wisconsin, Seton Hall, ECT. You don't have to have elite talent to be a perennial tourney team every year.Cothron, Kemp,Kouassi, Morena, Lankford, Johnson, ward, and now MacAfee  are all a Barbee's guys. Since they no longer appear to be in an AU uniform, we can point the finger at Barbee for not recruiting and d evaluating the guy that fits Auburn University

If one or two kids leave I might understand but five players.  Something is not right here.  We are in worst shape than we have ever been with our basketball program.  I love footabll and basketball, and I want both of them to be contenders.  Right now even with the players we have coming in we have more leaving.  How are we suppose to rebuild with this happening.  We need something like Michigan had with the Fab five,even if it is for one year,to bring some exposure to our program.  Man it is going to take some time with all the players leaving,who else might leave.

Lets see...since Barbee's arrival  he has not been able to sustain a full roster. I understand there will be attrition for every team with graduation, transfers, non qualifers, players being dismissed, ECT. What I'm getting at is he needs to recruit a different type of student athlete.  I'm talking about kids that are MATURE and outwork the competition. We don't need to be like Kentucky, we need to be Auburn.  Our roster needs to be filled with guys that are unselfish and want to win in the classroom and on the court. We need guys that love Auburn.  See teams like Gonzaga, Butler, Wisconsin, Seton Hall, ECT. You don't have to have elite talent to be a perennial tourney team every year.Cothron, Kemp,Kouassi, Morena, Lankford, Johnson, ward, and now MacAfee  are all a Barbee's guys. Since they no longer appear to be in an AU uniform, we can point the finger at Barbee for not recruiting and d evaluating the guy that fits Auburn University

I don't see us getting a "fab five" anytime soon, perhaps ever....and agree with the above.  Lots of schools win consistently without a bunch of McDonalds All Americans...they just get good solid kids, keep them around for three or four years and help them get better every year.  For most of those type teams, once they have the basics in place they are not having to hit "home runs' in recruiting each year....they just fill in to the weak spots and graduations and go from there.

I can see that Barbee, like Chiz, reached out and got whatever he could the first season....but things should have settled down a bit going into his third year.  As I indicated, it's not time to panic or anything but would be nice to see an actual change taking place ....and not another batch of new players, all of whom are being counted on the play key roles in their first season at AU.

This is not the end of the world so no one jump. Barbee took over a crappy program and is doing his best to build it back up. It will take time and there will be bumps in the road. He is bringing in one of the most talent classes AU has ever had. This will be a positive as we move forward.

This is not the end of the world so no one jump. Barbee took over a crappy program and is doing his best to build it back up. It will take time and there will be bumps in the road. He is bringing in one of the most talent classes AU has ever had. This will be a positive as we move forward.

You are correct. I just hope we do not have any character issues with his recruits.

People tend to forget that basketball is not like football. You can get away with only 7 good players, if they stay healthy. Also there are more basketball recruits than football recruits to start as true freshmen because of AAU programs and the level of competition and all basketball is great in that you can have players who are big and strong and dominant the post and then you can have players who are small and crafty and run the court and play the perimeter. It's one of the beauties of the game. Also you can implement new offenses and defenses easier and quicker in basketball.

Archived