Trouble with current players?

MJ2144

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was optimistic about Barbee when he first arrived, but my optimism is fading fast. The entire recruiting class from last year is now gone after only 1 year. That is fricking unbelievable. There have also been other players who have come and gone under Barbee in short order. He is either recruiting kids with bad character, or he has a difficult time bonding with these kids once they arrive on campus

Every one calm down. Barbee is the right man for the job. In order to see how he is as a coach with a fair, accurate opinion, we shouldnt judge him until at least after his 3, probably 4th year. The way Lebo left the program was a disgrace. that is all.

Every one calm down. Barbee is the right man for the job. In order to see how he is as a coach with a fair, accurate opinion, we shouldnt judge him until at least after his 3, probably 4th year. The way Lebo left the program was a disgrace. that is all.

I'm still behind Barbee, but I don't think in basketball a coach should need 3 or 4 years to turn a program around. Unlike football due to sheer numbers, basketball teams can be turned around by 1-2 really good players--which can obviously happen in a single recruiting class.

I'm still behind Barbee, but I don't think in basketball a coach should need 3 or 4 years to turn a program around. Unlike football due to sheer numbers, basketball teams can be turned around by 1-2 really good players--which can obviously happen in a single recruiting class.

true if most of your class is top 50 type kids.  auburn is not in a position to get a class loaded with those kids, yet.  so the kids we do get need a few years to mature and may not pan out.  of course when you get a top guy like mcafee, he won't work out if he still isn't suited up.  barbee can't win with superstars, yet ... he will need to win with a team full of hustlers and "do-ers" ... he just has to find them, get them, keep them and coach em up.  the third item seems to be the hardest and with a couple of the kids, the "coach em up" might be why they left (kouassi/moreno).  if barbee can't get it done by 2 more years, i will be depressed ...

I would just like to see progress....if anything we are worse off now than when Barbee arrived.  As several people have noted, we are not going to Kentucky  or UNC-like talent.  AU needs to get solid players who will develop over a couple years, meet their academic requirements and follow the rules of the athletic department. 

Seems to me that many of the prima donna players who play AAU ball, travel to basketball camps all over the country (at whose expense?) are hard to handle when they get in an environment where there are "rules".  Too many of them have mentors, guardians and other "hangers-on" who in some cases are more involved in their "career development" than their university coaches. 

JMO but I would not be too surprised to see AU in trouble with the NCAA within a few years over BB and contrary to what someone noted, the APR thing can indeed hurt the program.....has penalties including loss of scholarships.

I think it's funny how some people continue to blame Lebo for our troubles. Please stop. It doesn't make anyone look good by using that excuse. There are maybe 2 players left from the Lebo era and he had nothing to do with all these players leaving. We all understand and agree that Lebo failed here and the program wasn't in good shape when Barbee came, but at some point that reason is no longer relative to our current situation. Let's show support for our team and coach and move on.

Yes but Barbee inherited a pile of crap so it's going to take 3 or 4 years.

No doubt this is disappointing.  However, I far prefer a coach who will take the tough stand and do what is needed.  Would anyone prefer one who would put up with, or even protect, bad behavior?  I do not know what these guys did but I applaud Barbee for taking this action even while he knows it will increase the heat on him and the program.

Remember, "the darkest hour is just before the dawn."

:wareagle:

Yes but Barbee inherited a pile of crap so it's going to take 3 or 4 years.

It's going to take a heck of a lot longer than that if he keeps losing 7 out of every 8 players he signs. Having an entire recruiting class evaporate isn't on anyone but him.

Things are not looking good for Barbee right now. I was really excited when we hired him but it appears he is having trouble recruiting kids that can last. We are going into Barbees third year and does anyone here really expect our record to be any better than the first two? And by better I mean at least NIT? I sure don't, heck the upcoming season will likely be as bad as his first year. I'm not abandoning all hope just yet but if there is no post season play after four years then it's time to find a new coach. Maybe Barbee just nailed this last recruiting class and can turn this thing around but I think we are heading in the wrong direction right now.

I think it's funny how some people continue to blame Lebo for our troubles. Please stop. It doesn't make anyone look good by using that excuse. There are maybe 2 players left from the Lebo era and he had nothing to do with all these players leaving. We all understand and agree that Lebo failed here and the program wasn't in good shape when Barbee came, but at some point that reason is no longer relative to our current situation. Let's show support for our team and coach and move on.

Lebo left us with a walk-on PG and basically a walk-on center that is just on scholarship. Barbee is basically started from scratch. He can't turn the program around in 2 years because he can't get the top recruits in his first year no matter how good of a recruiter he is.

Lebo left us with a walk-on PG and basically a walk-on center that is just on scholarship. Barbee is basically started from scratch. He can't turn the program around in 2 years because he can't get the top recruits in his first year no matter how good of a recruiter he is.

Completely inaccurate. Kenny Gabriel and Frankie Sullivan are miles ahead of any current Barbee player. As for the "walk on" center, Barbee's will only have 2 post players that he has signed on campus this August. That's not any better. At least that walk on PG wasn't a point shaver.

Completely inaccurate. Kenny Gabriel and Frankie Sullivan are miles ahead of any current Barbee player. As for the "walk on" center, Barbee's will only have 2 post players that he has signed on campus this August. That's not any better. At least that walk on PG wasn't a point shaver.

Ok thats great and all, but KG and FS were were both recruited after Lebo has been at the program for 3/4 plus years. And do you think Barbee could help that? Barbee can't help that Ward made an unwise decision. Are you just coming on here to start and argument?  :zapbama:

Um...wouldn't it be nice to know WHY these guys were dismissed or suspended before you start trashing the program or Barbee?!  Some of you are sounding like bammers.  Ever heard of "support your program?" Give Barbee time and stand behind him.

Ok thats great and all, but KG and FS were were both recruited after Lebo has been at the program for 3/4 plus years. And do you think Barbee could help that? Barbee can't help that Ward made an unwise decision. Are you just coming on here to start and argument?  :zapbama:

No the post that replied said all Lebo left was walk on PG and and walk C. I dared to suggest what Lebo left is superior to what Barbee has brought in in 3 years. It doesn't take a decade to get decent players.

As for Barbee he's been able to keep 1 of his 8 signees on campus. If everyone's ok with that, I don't know what to say.

Um...wouldn't it be nice to know WHY these guys were dismissed or suspended before you start trashing the program or Barbee?!  Some of you are sounding like bammers.  Ever heard of "support your program?" Give Barbee time and stand behind him.

I think most people do stand behind the program, but the basketball program has been under a lot of scrutiny and turmoil the past couple of years. I think its understandable why people would be upset with the news that more talented players are leaving the team.

Comparisons to Alabama also might not be the best considering their basketball program has been slowly gaining momentum and talent for the past several years while Auburn's program is still trying to get off the ground.

No the post that replied said all Lebo left was walk on PG and and walk C. I dared to suggest what Lebo left is superior to what Barbee has brought in in 3 years. It doesn't take a decade to get decent players.

As for Barbee he's been able to keep 1 of his 8 signees on campus. If everyone's ok with that, I don't know what to say.

No, I wasn't saying thats all he left us, but when you leave the program with those 2 players as your future starters, you didn't leave the program in too good of shape to say the least. It doesnt matter what other talent you have. If you dont have a good distributor of the ball and a guy that can score and rebound down low, then it really doesnt matter about the other 3 positions because you arent going to be successsful....and ahhhh so 3 or 4 years = 10 years now. makes sense. stupid me  :banghead:  :rolleyes:

It is year 3.

No, I wasn't saying thats all he left us, but when you leave the program with those 2 players as your future starters, you didn't leave the program in too good of shape to say the least. It doesnt matter what other talent you have. If you dont have a good distributor of the ball and a guy that can score and rebound down low, then it really doesnt matter about the other 3 positions because you arent going to be successsful....and ahhhh so 3 or 4 years = 10 years now. makes sense. stupid me  :banghead:  :rolleyes:

I don't think Lebo ever received the support being given to Barbee.  CJL just wasn't the guy everyone wanted. Lebo had attrition problems just like all AU BB coaches.  He had to cut ties with arguably his two most talented players Douglass and Josh Dollard.  Character eventually wins out over talent at Auburn.  Lebo finally had a really bad year which was what some were just waiting on.  Contrary to what some on here believe the cupboard was not bare when Lebo left.  Ross and Malone were not superstars but they were SEC quality players.  Just didn't fit with CTB's program.  Barbee took a chance and opted for Talent over Character and Academics in order to get us back competetive.  It backfired so I think he will take a more cautious approach.  Again I think Auburn will be a lot more patient with Barbee than they were with Lebo.  I still think CTB is a little better recruiter than CJL but Lebo was a good X's and O's guy. The disciplinarian part I would call a push. I'm really pulling for Barbee to have the one good year (maybe just decent year) to get him over the hump.    :we:

There's no way to spin losing 7 out of the 8 players you sign as ok. Coach Barbee has a lot to prove. I don't think he should be on the hot seat yet. He deserves 4 years in my opinion to show signs of improvement but I understand the frustration and criticism for him. We talk about how our recruiting has improved under him but it doesn't matter if you sign top 10 classes if they don't every produce on campus. He's gotta long way to go before I believe he is the answer at Auburn

The class coming in this year is the key class since Barbee has been here. They are highly rated so ideally we will be a little better than last year but the key to whether they are a good class will be their Sophmore year will they be here and will they be improved. If they play decent next year and stay and show real improvement their sophmore year. Then I will fill that Barbee is going in the right direction and deserves our support which I am still currently giving him. 

I am a Barbee supported I am not expecting next years class to be gangbusters but with the type class that they are I would expect to see some improvement over this year. Maybe win an away SEC game and break even in the SEC or at least close to  even. Then have all or most of the kids come back for next year and be improved from year before.

I believe you need to have realistic expectations. If however we have another round of turnovers where majority of the class leaves again then I think it will be time to look at the product and maybe decide we need a change. I like Barbee so I am really hoping this round of kids is the beginning of the answer.

We need the incoming batch of kids to stay more than a year and perform. 

I want Barbee to do a great job at AU but he and his assistants have to look beyond the basketball court when recruiting kids for this program.    This high attrition rate can not be a good thing for our recruiting and AU's reputation.

We need the incoming batch of kids to stay more than a year and perform. 

I want Barbee to do a great job at AU but he and his assistants have to look beyond the basketball court when recruiting kids for this program.    This high attrition rate can not be a good thing for our recruiting and AU's reputation.

If I were a parent of a recruit and AU/Barbee was recruiting my son, I'd have some pretty stiff questions I'd want answered by the AU coaching staff. 

This is strictly my way of thinking as a parent.........  But a coach that lost 7 out of 8 players he signed, and has the FBI on campus investigating point shaving would raise some red flags to me and where I'd want my son spending his college career. :-[

Archived