Sir Charles our best frenemy

AUBourne

I've yet to find someone I can agree with on everything they say.  Charles is no exception. I don't agree with what he said about the Turner Gill issue, BUT, I didn't grow up with the perspective and life experience he had growing up in Alabama as a young af/am male either. I'll defend his right to say it, while not liking the way he said it. Your background has a lot to do with your life view, his does the same and mine does the same. We would all be a lot better off, if people would tell us what they actually think instead of what people want to hear.

I have no problem with what Barkley said regarding the Turner Gill thing because without intimate knowledge of why Jacobs hired Chizik, he was right. He said no black coach in America was is going to get hired at a big time college football program with a 5-19 career HC record. Well, guess what, he is probably right.

On paper, Gill looked like the much better choice. And if need be, I will remind everyone that the majority of AU fans wanted Gill before wanting Chizik and it was not close. So, on the surface it looks like there was an element of racism in the Chizik hire over Gill. Gill was the hot name. Chizik was anything but.

Now, we know that Jacobs knew Chizik better and Chizik sold Jacobs on a plan. If any of us had been in Jacob's shoes and interviewed both, most of us would have probably taken Chizik because I feel certain he was 100x more convincing in the interview. I say this because Chiz had intimate knowledge of AU, love for AU, experience and knowing how to win in the SEC, and a solid game plan of EXACTLY how he would do it (win) at AU. I doubt Gill had any of those things and I think that would have been totally obvious if any of us had been the ones conducting the interviews, making Chizik an easy call (in comparison to Gill).

However, as I said, on the surface, Barkley was dead on. Gill had the better current resume. Gill had the greater support (from the AU fanbase at the time as well). So, Barkley gave an opinion. And honestly, I do not think it was an opinion that did not merit some discussion even though as I pointed out, when you look deeper it is obvious Chizik was the right choice. However, Jacobs and those conducting the search and interviews were the ones in the position to know that. Not us or Barkley.

Barkley spoke too soon without the right knowledge or all the facts. But we as fans (on the whole) did not react positively in general in the hours after the hire either.

I have no problem with what Barkley said regarding the Turner Gill thing because without intimate knowledge of why Jacobs hired Chizik, he was right. He said no black coach in America was is going to get hired at a big time college football program with a 5-19 career HC record. Well, guess what, he is probably right.

On paper, Gill looked like the much better choice. And if need be, I will remind everyone that the majority of AU fans wanted Gill before wanting Chizik and it was not close. So, on the surface it looks like there was an element of racism in the Chizik hire over Gill. Gill was the hot name. Chizik was anything but.

Now, we know that Jacobs knew Chizik better and Chizik sold Jacobs on a plan. If any of us had been in Jacob's shoes and interviewed both, most of us would have probably taken Chizik because I feel certain he was 100x more convincing in the interview. I say this because Chiz had intimate knowledge of AU, love for AU, experience and knowing how to win in the SEC, and a solid game plan of EXACTLY how he would do it (win) at AU. I doubt Gill had any of those things and I think that would have been totally obvious if any of us had been the ones conducting the interviews, making Chizik an easy call (in comparison to Gill).

However, as I said, on the surface, Barkley was dead on. Gill had the better current resume. Gill had the greater support (from the AU fanbase at the time as well). So, Barkley gave an opinion. And honestly, I do not think it was an opinion that did not merit some discussion even though as I pointed out, when you look deeper it is obvious Chizik was the right choice. However, Jacobs and those conducting the search and interviews were the ones in the position to know that. Not us or Barkley.

Barkley spoke too soon without the right knowledge or all the facts. But we as fans (on the whole) did not react positively in general in the hours after the hire either.

This

" without intimate knowledge of why Jacobs hired Chizik...." is exactly my point.  Charles runs his mouth without any facts and his default position is to say something provocative to the media which can include negative comments about his alma mater.

And regarding coaching hire, a lot of AU faithful were indeed turned off by 5-19 but Gill didn't have what most people wanted either - a big name.  UF, UAT, ARK, etc had all landed their big name coaches and most people were underwhelmed by Chizik and Gill.

Thankfully, Charles has done so many outlandish things that he is not taken seriously by anyone.

Charles is right more often than not. And I respect him for not being scared to voice his opinion. Is he right 100% of the time? No. But feel free to let me know anyone that ever is.

Bottom line, is (1) Barkley has the guts to speak his mind and he simply said what a lot of black people were thinking that were following the hire. And as I said, on the surface it was not an unreasonable opinion. (2) Barkley supports AU to this day and has done more good for AU as a whole than any single person on this message board I suspect.

(2) Barkley supports AU to this day and has done more good for AU as a whole than any single person on this message board I suspect.

I dunno, I think my lucky paper shaker won both the '89 UAT game and the '90 FSU games. You got to admit that is pretty impressive.  ;)

BTW I love Charles and to me he is the face of AU basketball but sometimes he really can be annoying when he degrades AU with his backhanded comments. 

(2) Barkley supports AU to this day and has done more good for AU as a whole than any single person on this message board I suspect.

I dunno, I think my lucky paper shaker won both the '89 UAT game and the '90 FSU games. You got to admit that is pretty impressive.   ;)

BTW I love Charles and to me he is the face of AU basketball but sometimes he really can be annoying when he degrades AU with his backhanded comments. 

Hey, I was at both of those games too. I think it was MY lucky paper shaker. All 5 of them from the Uat game. :laugh:

By the way, I still have my ticket stub from both those games. Same seat and the '89 Uat one is still in mint condition. :thumbsup:

Oh, by the way, another lucky shaker story (paper one again)...

I had a paper shaker I kept all the way through the '93 season. Got it the first game (I think against Samford). Broke it in Athens though when I went down on the field and tore a big section of the famous hedges, either at halftime or after the AU/UGA game. They were tearing up the hedges in 1993 for some reason after the season at Samford that year and I believe it was the last home game of the season. Can't remember if they let people do it or people just did it, but I did and kept that big piece of the hedge as a trophy for a dozen years.

Anyway, I broke the shaker in my back pocket while tearing up the hedge and was extremely distraught thinking I had killed our chances to beat bama the next week. Turned out ok though. :laugh:

Oh, by the way, another lucky shaker story (paper one again)...

I had a paper shaker I kept all the way through the '93 season. Got it the first game (I think against Samford). Broke it in Athens though when I went down on the field and tore a big section of the famous hedges, either at halftime or after the AU/UGA game. They were tearing up the hedges in 1993 for some reason after the season at Samford that year and I believe it was the last home game of the season. Can't remember if they let people do it or people just did it, but I did and kept that big piece of the hedge as a trophy for a dozen years.

Anyway, I broke the shaker in my back pocket while tearing up the hedge and was extremely distraught thinking I had killed our chances to beat bama the next week. Turned out ok though. :laugh:

Ahh 93, another great year.  I still have my ticket to the bama game in 89, and the program.  I keep meaning to get them framed but I never get around to it.  Already got the BCS game ticket framed and hanging though.  :-[    BTW I think the atmosphere of those two games were something special and only people that were at that those tiger walks and inside JH will ever understand (how my shakers won those games). 

The '90 FSU game was really special. JH was really electric that night and one of my all time favorite Auburn games. I'll never forget mocking FSU with their tomahawk chop in the stadium after the game, leaving the stadium, in the parking lot, lol. Seemed like we mocked them all night. Also, during the game every single time their band tried to get the chant going, the Auburn band, cheerleaders and crowd IMMEDIATELY drown them out and the stadium would rock with Orange/Blue or Auburn/Tigers.

Really an awesome game. When we got that sack of about 25 yards on 4th down to set up the winning fg, JH completely lost it. In one play it went from FSU setting up a game winning FG to us almost in FG range with seconds left. About as dramatic a swing as possible.

I agree 100% very well said    :bow:

CB been hanging around with the ESPN talking heads....speaking without having the facts....and never backing down when making a wrong assessment.....just a typical day at the office for him....and most of the other ESPN talking heads.

Archived