Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Backcountry birthday party was insane. The crowd and tap list. There was nowhere to sit and hour+wait to get a table. Lines around the bar to order. So we grabbed a snow shovel and cleared out a space on the patio to get a server to come out to us.

Melvin 2x4 and 4x8 were awesome DIPAs. Definitely give the big boys a run for their money.

BCBS coffee was amazing.

Perennial Abraxas was spectacular.

Victory At Sea Elijah Craig barrel aged was definitely the best VAS variant I've had.

Bam. Buddy from Alabama came through again.

ENjkoUj.jpg

Awesome. Favorite DIPA.

ENjkoUj.jpg

Awesome. Favorite DIPA.

It's right tasty. Haven't had it since 2011 or so in the tap room right when they were finishing up the stadium.

Buddy managed to pack 41 beers in his suitcase.

ENjkoUj.jpg

Awesome. Favorite DIPA.

It's right tasty. Haven't had it since 2011 or so in the tap room right when they were finishing up the stadium.

Buddy managed to pack 41 beers in his suitcase.

They've renovated. It's nice. I'll take pictures next time I drop in.

41 beers? Must not have packed much else. :laugh:

So snake handler is good in the cans? The last few times I had it on tap it had a very strong alcohol flavor and just wasn't well made.

Well, it is my beer of choice for SB50 and its in cans and damn good! And how bout this, I am playing tunes pregame from our AUFamily music thread. :hellyeah:

So snake handler is good in the cans? The last few times I had it on tap it had a very strong alcohol flavor and just wasn't well made.

Well, it is my beer of choice for SB50 and its in cans and damn good! And how bout this, I am playing tunes pregame from our AUFamily music thread. :hellyeah:/>

That's a good plan!! I'm at a friends house so won't be playing that music, but I am drinking a 4 pack of snake handler. I will say its better in cans than the draft I had a couple months ago at the brewery. A little more mellow alcohol flavor. I may have gotten in a few bad batches during equipment changes or something before. Still not one of my favs, but I'm glad I gave the cans a chance.

Backcountry birthday party was insane. The crowd and tap list. There was nowhere to sit and hour+wait to get a table.

The downside to craft beer's popularity. I can't get excited about events like this any more because of that kind of stuff.

Seconded.

Had leftover Snake Handler (my contribution), Stone Pataskala, and Sweetwater Whiplash for a Fat Tuesday gathering. Goes great with jambalaya. Good times.

Backcountry birthday party was insane. The crowd and tap list. There was nowhere to sit and hour+wait to get a table.

The downside to craft beer's popularity. I can't get excited about events like this any more because of that kind of stuff.

Seconded.

It's a fairly small place...but still. You had non aggressive people at the bar not wanting to encroach on the people sitting at the bar. I stood behind 2 dudes for 15 minutes not doing anything to get a beer...just standing there hoping they would catch the bartender's eye. It was a pathetic show on their part.

I was about to just leave at that point before my buddy finally got a server to come to our snow covered patio.

Will be picking up some hopslam on Friday. Found a "secret" location getting a small batch in. Apparently I reserved the last one. Never had it before. Looking forward to it

I think you'll like it. It might be boozy, has been before.

Will be picking up some hopslam on Friday. Found a "secret" location getting a small batch in. Apparently I reserved the last one. Never had it before. Looking forward to it

I think you'll like it. It might be boozy, has been before.

It definitely changes from year to year, which I like (even though I don't always like the changes). I will get a pint somewhere, didn't bother looking for any on the shelves.

Abyss Rye Barrell just sitting on the shelf taunting me...

Do it.

At this point, I really should. Maybe tomorrow. ;)

Picked up a single of Stone's new Americano imperial stout made with espresso. Might have it tonight, but it's growing late for an imperial stout.

Do it.

At this point, I really should. Maybe tomorrow. ;)

Picked up a single of Stone's new Americano imperial stout made with espresso. Might have it tonight, but it's growing late for an imperial stout.

I would not drink an imperial stout with coffee in the evening unless I had something to be awake and tipsy for. But do let us know how that rye barrel Abyss tastes :)

Had an Avery Raja last night. Can't believe that's my first time trying that beer. Liked it, and it hasn't been sitting on the shelf forever, but I couldn't stop wishing I could taste it at the brewery. Very juicy beer.

Do it.

At this point, I really should. Maybe tomorrow. ;)/>

I would not drink an imperial stout with coffee in the evening unless I had something to be awake and tipsy for. But do let us know how that rye barrel Abyss tastes :)/>

Had an Avery Raja last night. Can't believe that's my first time trying that beer. Liked it, and it hasn't been sitting on the shelf forever, but I couldn't stop wishing I could taste it at the brewery. Very juicy beer.

Isn't drinking an imperial Stout with coffee, in and of itself, reason to be awake and tipsy? Speaking of Avery, I know it's more of a "whale", but Tweak is an awesome example of the aforementioned style.

And Shocks, though I don't expect it to be on par with Tweak, given its half the ABV and one third the price, nor Stone's 2013 Odd Year IRS, for that matter, (a fantastic beer, but now going the way of the black rhino in my cellar given my affinity for it), but please let me know what you think of that Americano Stout from Stone.

Had the Americano last night after all. Caffeine had little to no affect on me as I popped a few melatonin before bed.

It was good-big coffee/espresso notes. Slightly thin for an imperial. Bottle said this beer was inspired by the odd year release of the IRS, FWIW.

And yes, Tweak was better.

Archived