Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Verdict is in on 2016 Citrusinesis. Still delicious. Might go buy more tomorrow if they still have some.

giphy.gif

Got a sixer Friday. Sipping on one as we speak. Damn, it's good.

Re: the IPL Tiger Refuge posted, that looks fantastic. And I'm always excited to see Americans brewing interesting lagers, especially not-huge brewers. Takes commitment. Monday Night here in Atlanta even brewed a "lager style ale" so that they wouldn't have to actually deal with the process.

I'll be looking for Citrusinesis.

Had Westbrook's 5th Anniversary yesterday. Raspberry imperial stout. Surprised this one didn't get more hype, I loved it. Huge fresh raspberry flavor up front followed by a nice coffee finish. Pulled those big flavors without being cloyingly sweet. Totally worked for me.

Hop City B'ham had a good stock of it Friday.

Hop City B'ham had a good stock of it Friday.

Sweet, that means the Hop City locations in Atlanta should have it, if not now then soon. Thanks.

Finally getting around to the SN gose. Tasty. Slightly salty. Seems like a good intro to the style. Reminds me of the Anderson Valley gose. Simple, but fair example of the style.

Could be saltier, sour-er. But putting it up against Westbrook's may be unfair.

Went to Avery's new location in Boulder before the David Cross show(which was pretty great--unless you're a religious conservative).

Big facility. Was set up like Lagunitas Chicago in that you can grab a beer and walk along cat walks and observe the facility above. It was, however, a quarter the size of Lagunitas.

The taproom was disappointingly small for the size of the brewery. As for beers, had fresh Raja, a "Mexican" barleywine aged in tequila barrels with cherries(couldn't taste either) and a fresh hopped IPA which was fine. Still not big on Avery beers, however.

Food was good. Had duck confit poutine topped with fried cheese curds(which I find as blasphemy when it comes to poutine--standard curds are better).

Sounds like an awesome night.

That poutine story is so typical of where we're at right now with food and drink. Poutine is really, really good, and yet it's so hard to find something that's not duck poutine, or poutine with a fried egg, or poutine with kimchi on it, or whatever. You can't get anybody to make a normal negroni or old fashioned, they have to add their own dumb twist to it. Kids these days don't bother learning how to do things right before they go indulging their inner "artist". #GOML

Creature Comforts releasing a tasty sounding DIPA

http://www.creaturec.../2016/3/9/cosmi

It's definitely a good beer. Will likely be a wait-at-Greens-for-the-truck-to-show-up beer. Which means I'll likely be having it when I see it on draft lists around town and not at home.

Mixologists. Pfft. Pull your thumbs from behind your suspenders and show me your degree, Mr. Waxed Mustache.

It has rained 19.5" here in the last 72 hours. I'm so ready for tomorrow to get here so I can have a beer or 9.

26A5C8C3-09C9-4E61-9BFF-E6783DDEB690_zpsyizkygpu.jpg

Damn..Turn around Don't drown! ;D

That's some serious rainfall. I know it had been a very slow moving system, but 19.5"? That's like 2 hurricanes. Crazy. It just the ham.

It has rained 19.5" here in the last 72 hours. I'm so ready for tomorrow to get here so I can have a beer or 9.

26A5C8C3-09C9-4E61-9BFF-E6783DDEB690_zpsyizkygpu.jpg

Damn..Turn around Don't drown! ;D/>

That's some serious rainfall. I know it had been a very slow moving system, but 19.5"? That's like 2 hurricanes. Crazy. It just the ham.

Unfortunately, it has been a record setting event. Measured amounts have ranged from 18-23". Just stupid amounts of rain.

I am in Monroe, LA. The picture I posted is at my work.

Sorry about the hijacking, I'll post up a new beer this evening. I have a couple of new ones to try.

No worries on my end regarding hijacking. There are only a few of us in this blessedly safe space, anyway. Stay safe down there. I only heard about the flooding this morning. Good gravy.

Had a Dark Horse Plead the 5th the other night that I picked up in Kentucky. That is one of the better year round imperial stouts, IMO. I'm glad I only picked up one in a mixed sixer to bring home, because I could absolutely drink a few of those before I realized the mistake I'd made.

Scotty Karate on deck. Will probably pop that tonight.

Ghost Train to open taproom and brewery at old Cahaba Brewery location in the lake view area of Birmingham. They are currently contract brewing in Mississippi. The owner of Ghost Train was a founding member of Cahaba brewery. I had a fantastic IPL they released about a year ago. Looking forward to another option in the ham.

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2016/03/ghost_train_brewing_co_to_open.html

The flooding sucks. We had a huge flotilla of housboats break loose and ram a bridge on the highway where my office is this morning. Just unreal sh...

So, I'm having a beer tonight that I have saved. Great Raft Provisions and Traditions limited release. Dark rye saison with caraway seeds. Very, very good.

A221FCAE-FB76-4E07-A52F-6BD82DA57116_zpskrgjomsi.jpg

How difficult is it to come by Parish Ghost in the Machine? Heading to NOLA for Jazz Fest and I really want to try that one. I'd like to just go to the brewery but I don't think I can convince the rest in my party to spend 4 or 5 hours in a car while we are there.

Also, is Avenue Pub still the best beer bar in NOLA?

It's been a couple of years since I visited NOLA, but Avenue was where I went last time.

Unfortunately, LA is really two different states, and that includes the beer selection as well. I've never had Parish Ghost...

Archived