Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any of you familiar with Thomas Creek Brewery? They are one of the larger local brewers in my area (Greenville SC). Their River Falls Red Ale is really good. http://www.thomascreekbeer.com/beers/

Here's another much smaller brewery that's even closer: http://www.theswamprabbitbrewery.com/

beer-is-salad.jpg

I've had some of Thomas Creek's stuff, but it was mostly at beer fests and got lost in the mix. Anything in particular of theirs you recommend? I sometimes see it on shelves in Atlanta.

Would definitely check out Swamp Rabbit if I ever make it up that way.

Random thought: anybody else notice that Tabasco now sells the fact that they age their sauce in oak barrels? Not saying craft beer success > hot sauce barrel aging advertisements... but maybe a little.

I've had some of Thomas Creek's stuff, but it was mostly at beer fests and got lost in the mix. Anything in particular of theirs you recommend? I sometimes see it on shelves in Atlanta.

Would definitely check out Swamp Rabbit if I ever make it up that way.

Like I said, their River Falls Red Ale is quite good. That's probably the highest rated brew they make. But it probably would get lost in a tasting with stronger flavored ales. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2454/7594/

They make an IPA called "Up the Creek" which is 12.5% ! I ordered it once out of curiosity and had to drink it with a water chaser. I suppose they use a wine yeast to get that level of alcohol.

Random thought: anybody else notice that Tabasco now sells the fact that they age their sauce in oak barrels? Not saying craft beer success > hot sauce barrel aging advertisements... but maybe a little.

Soon we'll have an oak aged Tabasco ale aged in oak barrels.

I think it's an Irish whiskey, maybe scotch...or some other brown liquor that's aged in barrels that beer was aged in.

I think it's an Irish whiskey, maybe scotch...or some other brown liquor that's aged in barrels that beer was aged in.

New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon, perhaps? I repeatedly resisted the temptation to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm headed to visit them at Avery Island in March. It's a really cool place. In fact, if anyone has any requests for their specialty sauces (I recommend the Raspberry Chipolte Tabasco), let me know. I'll pick some up and mail it to you.

New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon, perhaps? I repeatedly resisted the temptation to satisfy my curiosity.

I don't think so. I want to say it Jameson's or some other household name.

I'm headed to visit them at Avery Island in March. It's a really cool place. In fact, if anyone has any requests for their specialty sauces (I recommend the Raspberry Chipolte Tabasco), let me know. I'll pick some up and mail it to you.

I'll check their website- thanks for the offer!

I'll check their website- thanks for the offer!

Absolutely! The reason I offered, some of their sauces aren't available on their site for shipping.

Just noticed that Black Bottle Bewing, who also hosts guest taps, had Hill Farmstead Dorothy on tap on 1/27. Guess I know where I'm going tomorrow if it's still on.

Untappd is a great app. I've never used the "nearby" function, but I will have to start using it more often now.

2417bxy.jpg

Meh

Tastes like a very bitter lager with tangerine juice. Not well made IMO.

I almost picked this up at Hop City earlier. Passed on it.

Good haul, nonetheless. Got a bomber of Lindemans Kriek Cuvée René and a bomber of Stone's charred Xocoveza. The charred Xocoveza is one I'm really looking forward to trying. Wonder if the barrel aging causes it to lose any character.

Anyone ever buy beer in a growler?

Occasionally

Likewise. I have, but it's pretty infrequent. Only when I have company coming.

While I'm on the subject of the Cuvée René:

28569627-E75E-474C-A81C-EDB6B3F711AC_zpsowtujh61.jpg

Archived