for you guys who want to fire_________, it is like this...

rockfordpi

This is playing right into bammer's hands. Though they don't show it, they know we are getting the caliber players now that will soon allow us to be very competitive with them. They would love to derail and delay us in that respect. Why help them?

Pretty sure Bammer would pay half Chizik's salary to keep him here.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Chiz and the staff are canned a majority of our top recruits will jump ship for sure. And everyone whines about player attrition right now, wait and see what happens if Chiz and crew are gone. We'd lose even more players. It would be really ugly then.

I know the difference between good football and bad football.

For the past 4 years I've seen bad football for the most part (even in 2010). We were able to win with Cam Newton DESPITE poor play and (often) poor coaching decisions.

This is nothing new. The defense has been bad for four straight years and is now worse than I've ever seen. We have a middle linebacker who should be playing FCS. We make the same mistakes over and over again. You can expect the team to come out flat ever week.

It's clear to me what the problem is - coaching. Jimmys and Joes are also a problem, but enough of them have cycled through the program while the same problems continue for me to see that it's not just them.

Someone made the decision to hire Ted Roof. Someone had to be talked into and convinced that it would be worth it to recruit Cam Newton. Someone allowed themselves to wait around on hiring an offensive coordinator for over a month after the college football bowl season was over, got declined by their first choice and went with an alternative choice that has led to a disaster.

Other than a few recruits (none of whom have panned out, BTW), CGC has done nothing other than lucking into being the guy that 'coached' Cam Newton.

However, I don't say cut the ties and hope for the best (like CGC did with his OC hire). The PTB need a plan and replacement pretty much in place for if they get rid of CGC.

Chizik, however, is an awful coach. He should be director of football operations somewhere or something. There is nothing inspiring or motivating or anything about him. I'd like to see a little fire from him every once in a while ... a little coaching ... but we don't see it. Remember Malzahn? He would actually coach during ballgames. I respect that.

Sorry for the scattered thoughts, it's late. However, I don't see Chizik being able to right the ship. Maybe if he'd shown a hint in the past, but he hasn't shown us anything in 4 seasons without a player named Cam Newton on his sideline.

Pretty close to how I feel, but much more eliquently said.

2009 we came out of the gates slowly. We didn't look like we knew what we were doing, It was CGC first year so it was expected. We won a few games, and show some improvement throughout the year.

2010 first few games. We came out of the gate slowly. We didn't look like we knew what we were doing. Improvement over the year. Obviously we won them all, but for the most part, broken plays going for 3rd and long kept drives alive. 3rd and 18 ... NO problem with Cam.

2011 We came out of the gate slowly. We didn't look like we knew what we were doing. little improvement by the end of the year We saw improvement, but struggled to catch up to the improvement seen by other teams..

2012 We came out of the gate slowly. We do not look like we knew what we were doing. There has been improvement, but we are starting from so far behind everyone else that catching up will be a huge hurdle. I am not sure Chizik can jump that high.

Chizic has not shown me he can have a team relatively ready to go from game one... even in 2010.

2013 We are at the 1/2 decade mark. Do we keep CGC? We come out of the gate slowly.... Then what?

Rockford - I agree except for #9. The cupboard is already stocked with top ten recruiting classes for the past 3 or 4 years. The talent is there and we're being beat by teams with inferior talent but better coached and better play-calling. I'm still a huge fan of Coach Chizik and I think he's one of the most honorable men in football but I'm starting to have doubts on his head coaching ability. He may need to go back to a DC position. Even in our NC year with two of the best players in all of college football and a senior laden team, most of the games could've gone either way (except the SEC championship game).

Yep, didn't read. Moreover, we are REGRESSING. Teams like Ole Miss and Mississippi State are about to pass us in the SEC for heavens sake. What else is there to see?

If the fans stop going to the games nad stop giving money until a complete cleaning of the house ie (coaching staff) is done. That will send a huge message to Jacobs, the president and to Pat Dye.

For you guys who want to fire the AD, HC, OC, Strength Coach, President, band director, Mascot, and/or PA announcer.

1. You are NOT the only one unhappy with this season.

2.Even if the person you, in your infinite wisdom, want to fire, needs to be fired, you don't have a vote (unless you are JJ or the president).

3. Though we don't have a vote, certainly we can all have opinions. However, we should also be aware that all the talk about firing this person or that person, does nothing but give fodder to those recruiting against us. This is playing right into bammer's hands. Though they don't show it, they know we are getting the caliber players now that will soon allow us to be very competitive with them. They would love to derail and delay us in that respect. Why help them?

4. Even if the person you want or someone else is fired, Nothing is going to happen prior to the end of the season. In the meantime, you can go online and whine, you can talk bad about this coach or that one, you can call radio stations, you can boycott the games. In the end, you are hurting Auburn and you are cutting your nose off to spite your face. All you are doing is making it harder for this staff to recruit by creating more questions in the minds of recruits.

5. One thing we know this staff can do, probably better than any staff EVER at AU, is recruit. This staff has made some great relationships on the recruiting trail and has a banner class committed. You make changes to this staff and a LOT of those guys are going to jump ship. If you change head coach, most of the assistants will be gone. Those assistants will end up somewhere else recruiting those same players to another school.

6. Are you SURE you REALLY want to start over from scratch?

7. Though I have a lot of questions and concerns, I believe in and I support this staff. However, in spite of the way this may sound, this is not an "AU, Love it or Leave it" post. This is not a Rah-Rah Love Auburn, Be loyal post. This is a post to appeal to the rational and logical side (if there is such a thing) of a lot of outspoken unhappy fans (count me in that lot as well).

8. A good argument CAN be made that we need a change in leadership at some level (though I don't agree, I respect and can see the point). However, there is NO guarantee that any change that might be made will be for the better, it is a roll of the dice (how many times did UAT miss, before they finally hit on a winner?)

9. One thing is for sure, until the cupboard is re-stocked, we will not be able to compete at the level we need to be. The best coaching in the world is not going to make a contender this year out of this team.

10. The two choices are to either support this staff and let them continue to stock the cupboard, and if they can't get the job done on the field, at least they can leave the next guy with a fully loaded gun OR we can make a change and start over from scratch with a new guy and another 4 year process while he "rebuilds".

PS: I know there is that crowd out there that thinks we can bring in a new staff who will keep ALL the players we have committed on board and if we do loose any, the new staff will replace them with guys who are as good or better than the ones we lose.

Unfortunately, these are mostly the same people who predicted us to compete for the west this year, the ones that said this may be the "BEST backfield EVER" at AU, the ones that warned people "KF, he a commin...", the ones that labeled a dozen or so other players "Beasts" , and the ones who were worried about what nicknames we were going to give certain true freshmen who had never yet played a snap.

For those people, all I can say is, well, there is probably nothing I can say. However, I would like to ask, which way do you think the stock market is heading?

this is the best post i have read on this site in a long time.

It is a good post but it is not rational. CGC has the title of Head Coach and my question is where are we headed? I have supported CGC from day one up to this loss to Arkansas but explain this. How can you have two weeks to prepare for an inept team like Arkansas, who has given up at least 24 points a game(to Jacksonville St nonetheless) and put up 7 points in a loss AT HOME. Proof is in the product on the field

We do have a choice, a voice in decision making because we pay for the tickets, the concessions, etc... we stop showing up and see what happens

Rebuilding would suck. I hate the thought of another coach with another 4 year plan. But this is CGC's fourth year and if anything, we are digressing. And it is spreading like a sickness. You could save every commitment on the board and this coaching staff can't win with them. I do actually still have a little love for CBVG but he is trying to bail water out of sinking ship with a dixie cup. Because of the money, we will be forced to endure another season of sub-mediocracy, but if something doesn't change soon then to heck with it. I'm going fishing....

For you guys who want to fire the AD, HC, OC, Strength Coach, President, band director, Mascot, and/or PA announcer.

2.Even if the person you, in your infinite wisdom, want to fire, needs to be fired, you don't have a vote (unless you are JJ or the president).

3. Though we don't have a vote, certainly we can all have opinions. However, we should also be aware that all the talk about firing this person or that person, does nothing but give fodder to those recruiting against us. This is playing right into bammer's hands. Though they don't show it, they know we are getting the caliber players now that will soon allow us to be very competitive with them. They would love to derail and delay us in that respect. Why help them?

4. Even if the person you want or someone else is fired, Nothing is going to happen prior to the end of the season. In the meantime, you can go online and whine, you can talk bad about this coach or that one, you can call radio stations, you can boycott the games. In the end, you are hurting Auburn and you are cutting your nose off to spite your face. All you are doing is making it harder for this staff to recruit by creating more questions in the minds of recruits.

5. One thing we know this staff can do, probably better than any staff EVER at AU, is recruit. This staff has made some great relationships on the recruiting trail and has a banner class committed. You make changes to this staff and a LOT of those guys are going to jump ship. If you change head coach, most of the assistants will be gone. Those assistants will end up somewhere else recruiting those same players to another school.

7. Though I have a lot of questions and concerns, I believe in and I support this staff. However, in spite of the way this may sound, this is not an "AU, Love it or Leave it" post. This is not a Rah-Rah Love Auburn, Be loyal post. This is a post to appeal to the rational and logical side (if there is such a thing) of a lot of outspoken unhappy fans (count me in that lot as well).

8. A good argument CAN be made that we need a change in leadership at some level (though I don't agree, I respect and can see the point). However, there is NO guarantee that any change that might be made will be for the better, it is a roll of the dice (how many times did UAT miss, before they finally hit on a winner?)

9. One thing is for sure, until the cupboard is re-stocked, we will not be able to compete at the level we need to be. The best coaching in the world is not going to make a contender this year out of this team.

10. The two choices are to either support this staff and let them continue to stock the cupboard, and if they can't get the job done on the field, at least they can leave the next guy with a fully loaded gun OR we can make a change and start over from scratch with a new guy and another 4 year process while he "rebuilds".

PS: I know there is that crowd out there that thinks we can bring in a new staff who will keep ALL the players we have committed on board and if we do loose any, the new staff will replace them with guys who are as good or better than the ones we lose.

Unfortunately, these are mostly the same people who predicted us to compete for the west this year, the ones that said this may be the "BEST backfield EVER" at AU, the ones that warned people "KF, he a commin...", the ones that labeled a dozen or so other players "Beasts" , and the ones who were worried about what nicknames we were going to give certain true freshmen who had never yet played a snap.

For those people, all I can say is, well, there is probably nothing I can say. However, I would like to ask, which way do you think the stock market is heading?

It is a good post but it is not rational. CGC has the title of Head Coach and my question is where are we headed? I have supported CGC from day one up to this loss to Arkansas but explain this. How can you have two weeks to prepare for an inept team like Arkansas, who has given up at least 24 points a game(to Jacksonville St nonetheless) and put up 7 points in a loss AT HOME. Proof is in the product on the field

We do have a choice, a voice in decision making because we pay for the tickets, the concessions, etc... we stop showing up and see what happens

Or you could pick a team that wins like Bama and leave Auburn games to those who love Auburn even more than we love winning football games.

Although individually we don't get a vote, collectively we do. We voted in Jetgate and we were heard loudly and clearly. Although I don't think that Leoffler is the answer, even if the OC is replaced, the current problems are likely to persist until Auburn can field a decent QB. We don't appear to have one on the roster and unless we recruit a juco QB for 2013, the other candidates will be true freshmen. Much of the poor play on defense can be attributed to extended time on the field due to poor execution on offense. As much as I hate to say it, this is a long term problem. I'd love to hear any thoughts.

#3 Playing into bammers hands? Who is bammer? Oh, you mean that well run, organized, semi-pro team across the state? Them? That ship has sailed my friend, we have no better chance of beating them in the next couple years than we do of invading Germany and bringing home the kaiser's hat! Might as well have said we're playing right into the Pittsburgh Steelers hands. We do not play in the same league right now as either of those two teams.

#4 Nonsense. These recruits have televisions and they watch them. Nothing I can say amongst fellow Auburn fans will be any louder than watching a 2-9 season.

#6 Yes. Yes I do. Where exactly is scratch anyway? I would expect scratch to be able to score on the 120th ranked defense in the land. Scratch is a step up.

#9 The cupboard is stocked. This is Gene's first senior class. He has done a very good job recruiting and has turned in top 10 classes since arrival. I know that doesnt necessarily translate into a top 10 product on the field but it sure as hell shouldnt translate into this. Can you seriously say that every 4 and 5 star athlete we have recruited on the offensive side of the ball the last 4 years has been a bust?

Or you could pick a team that wins like Bama and leave Auburn games to those who love Auburn even more than we love winning football games.

What!!! If you don't like the way this team is being mishandled you're not an Auburn fan? If thats the case let's disband the football team and just have everyone show up in the stadium every Saturday for a big "we love Auburn" party. It will be great, we can all talk about how great we think Auburn is and say bad things about teams that win games. I am an Auburn man my friend and I root for us win or lose but you have to come up for air and realize that not only is this a college football team but it is also a hundred million dollar operation. This little pig pays for a whole lot of bacon on campus. If you love Auburn so much that you're cool with watching a mess like this then that's great. But the rest of us expect to see a respectable team on the field.

When Auburn rebuilds, Auburn should be right in the middle of the SEC. We should go 7-5 or 8-4. That's rebuilding at Auburn.

Right now, I'm scared of Ole Miss. Vandy (my alma mater) is going to be favored against us. State blew us out. And God alone knows how many A&M is going to hang on us. We're looking at 4-8 or 3-9, and we're trending down. Seasons this bad happen about once a decade, and when they do, we typically have a coaching change. Barfield, Dye, Bowden, and Tuberville all experienced the same, and the last three coached some superb Auburn teams.

So for all those valid points, there's no harm in saying we want change. And I say that with genuine appreciation and admiration for our staff.

Coaching changes happen.. In every level... CGC worst knock as a head coach has been player development and strength training.. Not recruiting.. CGM is not a head football coach, not a great offensive coordinator either. Great high school coach.. That's why he is at Arkansas st.. We have very good athletes at auburn but look at are sophomores and upper class men vs alabama's.. Their db's are more physical and bigger than our defensive ends(and we have a great one). Our receivers rely on their pure talent to play. Because they do not know how to place their feet or turn after a catch. That's position coaching. That's every position... We are missing a few players though.. No LB's, no qb. But we have proved one thing over the past four years. We can take great recurits and turn them into decent players.. The best players auburn has produced over 4-years where developed by other coaches.. Do we need a new coach?? Better position coaches?? Strength and condition coaches??? Answer that for yourself... In four years has auburn developed a no-name player into an all-American.. For that matter have we developed an all-American into anything???

Coaching changes happen.. In every level... CGC worst knock as a head coach has been player development and strength training.. Not recruiting.. CGM is not a head football coach, not a great offensive coordinator either. Great high school coach.. That's why he is at Arkansas st.. We have very good athletes at auburn but look at are sophomores and upper class men vs alabama's.. Their db's are more physical and bigger than our defensive ends(and we have a great one). Our receivers rely on their pure talent to play. Because they do not know how to place their feet or turn after a catch. That's position coaching. That's every position... We are missing a few players though.. No LB's, no qb. But we have proved one thing over the past four years. We can take great recurits and turn them into decent players.. The best players auburn has produced over 4-years where developed by other coaches.. Do we need a new coach?? Better position coaches?? Strength and condition coaches??? Answer that for yourself... In four years has auburn developed a no-name player into an all-American.. For that matter have we developed an all-American into anything???

Good post, completey disagree with your assessment of Malzahn. That man can flat out coach offense. How he will be as a head coach remains to be seen but you dont win the Broyles award as the top coordinator in the counrty by accident. Right now, in his first year at Arkansas State he has them #27 in the counrty in yards per game at 470.8 per game. Thats with someone else's players etc. The man knows offense.

We are currently 115 with 302.5 per contest. To put that into perspective there are 124 division 1 teams, 9 teams in the whole country are more inept than we are. 9. i don't even have to take off my socks to get to the number of teams worse than us at moving the football.

True. But I chose a team that won like Auburn and I am unapologetic in my support for Auburn. Win lose or draw I bleed Auburn but it is not just the losing that is a cause for concern. Are the players playing like Auburn man? Where is the effort, the fire and desire? Are we well prepared like Auburn men should? Please tell me you are excited about the future of Auburn football going in the direction that it is currently on and then I would have to question to your loyalty to the Auburn creed as well as to the well being of our program. Are you willing to accept the consequences of what will become? Why did you fall in love with Auburn football? Is the product on the field acceptable to you? There is a HUGE difference between losing and quitting, and in my opinion a lot of the players have quit, maybe even some coaches. SO while you are entitled to your opinion it is really irrelevant because the same should be asked of you.

Good post, completey disagree with your assessment of Malzahn. That man can flat out coach offense. How he will be as a head coach remains to be seen but you dont win the Broyles award as the top coordinator in the counrty by accident. Right now, in his first year at Arkansas State he has them #27 in the counrty in yards per game at 470.8 per game. Thats with someone else's players etc. The man knows offense.

We are currently 115 with 302.5 per contest. To put that into perspective there are 124 division 1 teams, 9 teams in the whole country are more inept than we are. 9. i don't even have to take off my socks to get to the number of teams worse than us at moving the football.

I guess time will tell on CGM, if he is that great he will end up in a big time program.. I don't see it.. But time will tell.. He will do good in the lower division's though..

if cheesedick returns next year the ad better have a good plan to sell all those extra season tickets. i know if no changes are made i wont be donating/renewing.

What!!! If you don't like the way this team is being mishandled you're not an Auburn fan? If thats the case let's disband the football team and just have everyone show up in the stadium every Saturday for a big "we love Auburn" party. It will be great, we can all talk about how great we think Auburn is and say bad things about teams that win games. I am an Auburn man my friend and I root for us win or lose but you have to come up for air and realize that not only is this a college football team but it is also a hundred million dollar operation. This little pig pays for a whole lot of bacon on campus. If you love Auburn so much that you're cool with watching a mess like this then that's great. But the rest of us expect to see a respectable team on the field.

This is spot on.

Auburn is no longer a university of Status Quo. The OP is right. His opinion doesnt count as does mine, but i know Dr. Gogue has great plans for AU and anyone in charge of an area that isn't meeting his expectations better get the ship turned.

Somewhere the infamous Airport Heckler is saying "I told you so."

Perhaps he's watching the replay of the 2010 BCS championship game which is a good thing since without Chiz we could just as easily be right where we are right now (or maybe worse if UTk, Ole Miss, Michigan, are any example) and we wouldn't have the memories of Cam and Gus and the trip to Arizona....and that crystal football.

As someone noted, this season is what it is and shouting to fire one or all of the coaches will not change anything....none of the players will try harder and the coaches won't become smarter or whatever. We're stuck in this ditch for the moment but we've been there before and we will get beyond this.

Archived