Come in here if you still have faith in Coach Chizik (merged threads)

UltraSwagnus

I stayed on the fence about Chiz until I really thought through it. Here is my reasoning for him to be gone now...

1. Four years is long enough for him to have built a solid (if not dominant at least capable of tackling) defense. Even the natty year our D was average at best.

2. He is about to be 0-12 against our biggest four rivals sans the natty year. And most of those were of the blowout variety. Not acceptable.

3. Lack of discipline and control on gameday. Since his first year we have had stupid penalties, boneheaded mistakes, and strange personnel decisions. I remember some Iowa State folks saying Chiz's sideline always looked like a mess on Saturdays and I understand now.

4. What is he going to accomplish next year that will make us feel better about the direction of the program?? bammer and lsu are not taking a step back anytime soon, uga may be on the upswing again, and msu and ole missy are even improving. So, if Chiz comes in and goes 7-5 and we are in the music city bowl then we will all be happy again?

5. 35% of his recruits are no longer on the team....enough said...great recruiting rankings mean nothing if the kids never see the field.

6. 38-14, 45-10, 45-7, 42-14, 63-21.....all in the last two seasons....not acceptable. And add the UGA and uat games this year to this list more than likely.

7. Chizik raised his own bar for this program by winning the natty and the great recruiting classes, 1-7 less than 2 years later is just not acceptable.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stayed on the fence about Chiz until I really thought through it. Here is my reasoning for him to be gone now...

1. Four years is long enough for him to have built a solid (if not dominant at least capable of tackling) defense. Even the natty year our D was average at best.

2. He is about to be 0-12 against our biggest four rivals sans the natty year. And most of those were of the blowout variety. Not acceptable.

3. Lack of discipline and control on gameday. Since his first year we have had stupid penalties, boneheaded mistakes, and strange personnel decisions. I remember some Iowa State folks saying Chiz's sideline always looked like a mess on Saturdays and I understand now.

4. What is he going to accomplish next year that will make us feel better about the direction of the program?? bammer and lsu are not taking a step back anytime soon, uga may be on the upswing again, and msu and ole missy are even improving. So, if Chiz comes in and goes 7-5 and we are in the music city bowl then we will all be happy again?

5. 35% of his recruits are no longer on the team....enough said...great recruiting rankings mean nothing if the kids never see the field.

6. 38-14, 45-10, 45-7, 42-14, 63-21.....all in the last two seasons....not acceptable. And add the UGA and uat games this year to this list more than likely.

7. Chizik raised his own bar for this program by winning the natty and the great recruiting classes, 1-7 less than 2 years later is just not acceptable.

I'll add to that list the numerous and unacceptable off-the-field issues with the players during his tenure. Chizik is high character kind of guy, but we need a leader that demands discipline and commands respect from his players and peers.

I'll add to that list the numerous and unacceptable off-the-field issues with the players during his tenure. Chizik is high character kind of guy, but we need a leader that demands discipline and commands respect from his players and peers.

Yes, agreed, the seeming overall lack of discipline on and off the field is not a new issue this year, its been a running theme since year one with Chiz.

I am a believer. If CGC called a press conference, laid out truthfully in detail why our program is in crisis mode, and could present a plan that would resolve all the issues that have brought us to this point, I would clap and wait patiently on the results.

However, it is my belief that CGC is in denial about some of the problems, not able to resolve some of the problems, there are problems not in his control ,and some of the problems will take more than a year to correct.

I am certain that if CGC does not tell the Auburn public the truth about the true state of affairs in our AD he will be rewarded. Indeed his contract is probably written to protect the status quo. Before he cashes a buyout check he should hold a press conference open to the season ticket holders and answer 3.5 million dollars worth of questions. If he does not/cannot then the AD department needs to be rebooted.

Little doc

I am a believer. If CGC called a press conference, laid out truthfully in detail why our program is in crisis mode, and could present a plan that would resolve all the issues that have brought us to this point, I would clap and wait patiently on the results.

However, it is my belief that CGC is in denial about some of the problems, not able to resolve some of the problems, there are problems not in his control ,and some of the problems will take more than a year to correct.

I am certain that if CGC does not tell the Auburn public the truth about the true state of affairs in our AD he will be rewarded. Indeed his contract is probably written to protect the status quo. Before he cashes a buyout check he should hold a press conference open to the season ticket holders and answer 3.5 million dollars worth of questions. If he does not/cannot then the AD department needs to be rebooted.

Little doc

Unfortunately, CGC is and has been at the core of many problems this team has encountered for at leas the last two years.

but why let facts get in the way? I think Coach Chiz is a GREAT guy. I wish him the very best of everything. I just find it hard to believe that any Auburn fan wants to see more of this sinking ship we are on.

^^^^^^^^Anyone remember how much we loved Shula ?^^^^^^^^^

Everyone is clearly in panic mode, so I doubt anyone will listen to reason. Therefore, I'm going to lay out what I know based on 100+ years of research. Then, I'll let you guys attempt to criticize my arguments because I understand how ridiculously defensive and hard headed people are when they are in panic mode. Here's how things have REALLY played out under Chizik:

2008- Auburn has the most broken program in years. As a result, Tubbs resigns. Following his resignation, virtually every freshman transfers. All of the talented juniors leave early for the NFL. Chizik is hired. He puts together a decent recruiting class, but has to lower his standards in order to field a 1/2 way decent team.

2009- Chizik hires two experimental coordinators that he thinks will be able to make a quick impact. Chizik & co.take a team of virtually no seniors or sophomores with almost no talent, experience, or depth to a 5-0 start. In spite of an arm injury to the only half way decent qb on the roster, AU finishes 8-5 with a near upset of the eventual NC and a solid bowl win.

2010- Chizik has developed these talentless players into men. He brought in the one missing piece of the puzzle(a good qb). He leads us to a perfect season and a NC for the first time in FIFTY YEARS.

2011- All of the developed seniors and good juniors leave. What is left of the junior class was kicked off the team( remember, Chizik had to lower his standards a little to field a team his first year). What is left is a team made up of 80% underclassmen. In spite of a complete lack of experience and horrible play calling on offense, Chizik makes what was probably the least experienced team in the SEC in the last 20+ years once again go 8-5. Another OVERACHIEVEMENT considering the circumstances.

2012(offseason)- Chizik warns both coordinators that he is going after NFL style coaches. He brings in the coach that made the Falcons relevant to coach the defense and a proven QB developer that wants to run a true NFL style offense as OC. Both coordinators work to undo the damage that the previous coordinators did to player development. (Roof used weird tackling styles. Gus coached QB's incorrectly, and seriously slowed their progression.)

2012(first5 games)- Chizik nearly beats a really good ACC team in a very emotional and draining first game without any experience on the oline and with inconsistent QB play. We keep toe to toe with the best miss state team in recent history for one half then fall apart in the second half due to the hard fought game in week 1. In the third game, the team blows a lead in the second half against another team that is having a dream season. This happened because our team executed perfectly in the first half and got overconfident. Against LSU, we nearly beat who, in my opinion, is the best team in the country. As a result of our tough game against them, LSU gets pushed into a lull( during which, they lost to UF). The following week, we are 1-3, but the perception of the team had changed some. We finally have some momentum. Then week five happens... A team that had given up shows up ready to play while we, once again are overconfident. They beat us because they played a flawless game. Now the wheels fall off...

New comment coming in a minute.

2012( since game 5)- We are now 1-5. Our fans have jumped into panic mode and have lost faith in the team especially the coaches in spite of the fact that our record didn't completely show the big picture. Many players, including our QB and our back up have been on and off the injured list several times. Our players catch on to this lack of fan support and no longer feel any drive to win. (Why try if the fans no longer have faith in you?) We lose three more games in a row to teams that we should have been able to beat.

In conclusion, everything has gone wrong since Tubbs's last season and most of it is not Chizik's fault. We should have done better this year, but once again, things didnt go our way. If we played a creampuff in week 1, we probably would have won game 2. If we won game 2, we would have won gsme 3 more soundly. If we won game 3 more soundly, the loss to LSU wouldnt have affected us like it did. If that loss had been processed differently, we wouldn't have lost to Arky. As someone who studies motivation and its link to performance outcomes, I can see that our team quit. However, our team quit when our fans starting quitting on the team... right after the Arky game... If we had played a cream puff in game 1, we probably would be 7-1 or 6-2 right now.

Finally, our oline and Qb hurt us in bad in the first few games. Aside from those positions, we started looking moderately good by the time we playedLSU. Giving Chizik an extra year will allow grimes to solidify the young and talented oline. It will allow Loeffler to finish undoing the damage Gus did to Frazier, or it will allow him to at least get Wallace ready. Finally, it will allow Bvg to finish polishing the defense.

From the standpoint of a learning and motivation psychologist, Chizik has the perfect coaching style. He praises players that work hard and rewards them with playing time and leadership positions. He only uses positive punishment when a player really gets out of line or stops trying. This is PERFECT teaching. He knows exactly how to train and motivate players in a way that research has shown to work.

If Chiz goes, we will have to hire a truly bad coach because his buyout is too expensive at this point. We would lose Bvg. We would lose Loefflet who I think hasn't had a chance to work his magic yet.

On one final note, I want to comment on the discipline issues. Only a fool would think that incidents only occur at Auburn. Athletes have higher levels of testosterone. As a result, they are more impulsive and aggressive on average. Basically, the robbery incident could have happened anywhere. Chizik did exactly what he should have done to handle it. With regards to lesser incidents such as the drinking arrests, you should know by now that the media in this state runs with those incidents when they happen to us. Just look at the Cam scandal stuff and how it blew up. The major difference between us and other programs is that we hear about every incident. Other coaches sweep the problems under the rug. What does Chiz do? The only thing he can. Suspends them and makes them prove that they deserve to come back. For those of you that think he is doing something wrong here, name one thing he can do different...

I agree 100% with your analysis. People didnt understand how good of a coaching job Chizik did in '09 and '11. In my opinion, the only reason we have been horrid is because we dont have a SEC caliber QB (which Chizik can be blamed for). If we start this year off with a decent QB we wouldnt be thinking about firing Chizik because we would have beaten Clemson, LSU, Arkie, and Vandy (maybe MSU and Ole Miss) which brings our record to at least 5-3. Another reason for many of our losses is we have ABSOLUTLEY NO CONFIDENCE when we play. If we had even a couple more wins to get our confidence up, Texas A&M doesnt destroy us on our homefield. I believe Chizik should get one more year, but I know it wont happen becasue the players (as well as the fans) have quit on the coaches...

There is no excuse for the poor defense displayed under Chizik all four years. There is also no excuse for the discipline issues on and off the field and certainly no excuse for 63-21.....none

There is no excuse for the poor defense displayed under Chizik all four years. There is also no excuse for the discipline issues on and off the field and certainly no excuse for 63-21.....none

Agreed. You also left out....no excuse for not developing the talent we have. We have had three straight top 10 recruiting classes and our only W is against La-Mo in O.T.. Just wow!

Ridiculously funny analogy of the coaching tenure of CGC. When getting blown out of games to your rivals by an average of 24 points, Losing to Miss St (should have lost last year also if not for the bonehead play calling by Mullen) and Ole Miss this year. How many wins did we squeak out over that 4 year period? (Utah ST!!, ULM!!) He happened to be commander in chief when Superman played QB in 2010. We used to be known for our RB's and Defense but where are we now? I know this is supposed to be a love fest for Gene Chizik topic but if he gets another year this football program my be beyond repair for decades. Like I said before, I love the person/man Gene Chizik but he is a horrible head coach and according to our Defense the past 4 years, not a good D-Coordinator either

Archived