2013 LB John-Patrick Sherling (Ole miss walk-on)

Altima

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A smart player who can read and react is faster than any athlete... always two steps ahead even if he runs a 4.9...polomalu only runs a 4.8..but hes such a smart player it makes up for it

I remember someone saying Dick Butkus took ten minutes to run a 40 but when the ball was snapped no one in football was quicker moving laterally from hash-mark to hash-mark.

He has phenomenal vision. He always has his eyes on the QB or ball carrier. Once he makes a move, he beats everyone else to the ball almost every time. Great angles. Great tackling. He is obviously a student of the game. Whether his talent will get him to the next level in the SEC I don't know, but I would take a chance. Offer him.

Looks like Bobby Boucher out there hitting people!!! Must have some high quality H2O!!! That boy can play the foosball!! Probably a back up, back up plan. However, kid hits like a truck and seems very disciplined. You never know.

Looks like Bobby Boucher out there hitting people!!! Must have some high quality H2O!!! That boy can play the foosball!! Probably a back up, back up plan. However, kid hits like a truck and seems very disciplined. You never know.

i think he would be worth the risk....i don't know about his speed or lateral movement,but he is hunting somebody to hit and it didn't take long ro see that he is a much better tackler than anyone we have that has played for 4 years

Ya... we aren't going to be left out on him scholarship wise. He is a small (5'10-5'11) LB who isn't fast enough to make up for it. A walk on slot would be very much deserved and if he is good enough he will earn a scholarship

There is a case to be made that nobody is too small to play in the SEC...or the NFL if they have what it takes otherwise.

Check this: http://www.canalstre...-on-nfl-rosters

Generally, more than half the players in the NFL are under 6 feet tall. Sam Mills was a pro bowler and played more than ten years and was about 5'-9.

I see too many posts on these boards that automatically dismiss a prospect over his weight, his height or whatever without knowing much else about him.

Our linebackers last year looked better suited to the professional bowling tour than to SEC football. Let's get some big guys that can run and stuff the run. We have gone small for too long and it has killed us. I love me some Darren Bates but I don't think we can be a championship team without more size on our defense. Looking forward to seeing what Kris Frost and Cass Mackenzie look like next year. Hopefully Reuben will be out there with him as he already seems to have the size and speed of an SEC linebacker. Let's give ourselves a fighting chance for a change. WDE!

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on JP Sherling? Kid is one heck of a football player. We need to offer this kid.

No news. If we get Reben back and add Cunningham to go with Toney we are likely done at LB.

Any news on JP Sherling? Kid is one heck of a football player. We need to offer this kid.

No news. If we get Reben back and add Cunningham to go with Toney we are likely done at LB.

Is it possible that he can be an invited walk-on? Thanks for the update Ellitor!

Is it possible that he can be an invited walk-on? Thanks for the update Ellitor!

Yes it's possible.

• 4 weeks later...

A former coach from Elba High School told me that he begged Auburn and Alabama to give a kid named Ronald McKinnon a shot at a scholarhip and was told that he was "too short"....needless to say, this same young man went to North Alabama and won every trophy available and ended up playing about 1o years for the Cardinals. If i'm not wrong; he made all-pro a couple of times. You can't put a ****** (star) on heart and desire!

He looks too small to play LB in the SEC.

Jake Holland, Johnny Evans, Justin Garrett, Javy Mitchell all say hello... Garrett and Mitchell are both under 200 lbs... And, Holland and Evans are both under 6 ft.

I'd say if Sherling were to gain a few lbs, he would be juuussst fine...

The whole TRUTH and nothing but the TRUTH, WDE

Neither Justin Garrett or Javie Mitchell are under 200 pounds?

Jake Holland is not under 6 foot?

Justin Garrett and Javie Mitchell are at least 6'1 or 6'2?

All these guys mentioned also have superior athleticism (maybe except for Holland) in terms of speed, lateral quickness and explosiveness though. Haven't seen who you are talking about but there is a difference between high school and college level ability

I can assure you that Holland IS under six feet tall...

And, this JP Sherling kid is WAY more physical in stature than Garrett is (especially when he came out of high school), and yes, he IS still under 200 pounds. He got considerably smaller as the season went on. -as did alot of our players....

And poor Javy, to this day, has still never played in a game at the linebacker position...

Don't believe the media guides or gameday programs. They boost numbers as much as the recruiting sites.

I checked La. Tech's signing class and I didn't see John on their list.

Thanks for double checking what I did. lol

He reminds me of Jason Miska!!! Give him a shot, we could use another linebacker. I definetly agree that you cannot put any numbers around heart and desire. Talent is talent regardless of measurables.

Archived