Uga and recruiting question

3Jtiger22

No expert here but can someone explain how uga an have 13 ees and plan on signing 35?

Seems like for years we were way under 85 limit but yet could not sign enough in one year to get us up where we needed to be.

They can sign (I think) 34 because they only signed 16 last year. That left them with 25 for this year plus 9 to count back. They may have 13 EE's but not all of them will count back on '12. They may have 36 or for that matter 46 guys committed, but verbals aren't binding and they'll simply not sign some of them come February if they have more commits than they can sign.

As far as Auburn is concerned, we have been less than aggressive in trying to reach the limit, which was frustrating to many, me included. Please note, when you push to get close to the 85 limit, an unavoidable consequence is that some will have to be "processed". I don't have a problem with guiding the lower-rung producers to Valdosta State or West Alabama, but some among us do.

They can sign (I think) 34 because they only signed 16 last year. That left them with 25 for this year plus 9 to count back. They may have 13 EE's but not all of them will count back on '12. They may have 36 or for that matter 46 guys committed, but verbals aren't binding and they'll simply not sign some of them come February if they have more commits than they can sign.

As far as Auburn is concerned, we have been less than aggressive in trying to reach the limit, which was frustrating to many, me included. Please note, when you push to get close to the 85 limit, an unavoidable consequence is that some will have to be "processed". I don't have a problem with guiding the lower-rung producers to Valdosta State or West Alabama, but some among us do.

Apparently it works. I mean, look at this game.

VSU is a nice school-a lot of my high school buddies went/played there. The weather is decent too. I don't think it is a bad thing to help players realize they would get more playing time at a good school like VSU.

Georgia can sign 10 early entries that count back to 12. Plus the 25 for 2013 gives them 35 to sign. They had 13 early to enroll this semester. So on signing day they only have 22 to sign.

Georgia can sign 10 early entries that count back to 12. Plus the 25 for 2013 gives them 35 to sign. They had 13 early to enroll this semester. So on signing day they only have 22 to sign.

Very well, I was one off then. I don't keep up with the DullDawgs as closely as I do Auburn.

UGA enrolled 17 last season. 3 were EEs that count to the 2011 class. That leaves them with 14 signees in the 2012 class. They signeed 2 other players in that class who never enrolled. Per the new SEC rules the only players that can replace signed player who never enroll in terms of counting are those same player who originally signed, and they must enroll in January. UGA has one of those in John Atkins. He is #15. The other signee who did not enroll is Leonard Floyd. He is committed to the 2013 class also but if he does not enroll early he will count 2 times, in both the 2012 class and the 2013 class. Thus UGA has a number of 16 for 2012 and can sign 34 in this class...As for 13 EEs they only had 68 scholarship players on roster and had plenty of room for EEs under the 85 cap limit.

Guest jojo1515

UGA enrolled 17 last season. 3 were EEs that count to the 2011 class. That leaves them with 14 signees in the 2012 class. They signeed 2 other players in that class who never enrolled. Per the new SEC rules the only players that can replace signed player who never enroll in terms of counting are those same player who originally signed, and they must enroll in January. UGA has one of those in John Atkins. He is #15. The other signee who did not enroll is Leonard Floyd. He is committed to the 2013 class also but if he does not enroll early he will count 2 times, in both the 2012 class and the 2013 class. Thus UGA has a number of 16 for 2012 and can sign 34 in this class...As for 13 EEs they only had 68 scholarship players on roster and had plenty of room for EEs under the 85 cap limit.

I assume you mean before this years senior class leaves? 68 from 85 only leaves 17. So do they have 18 players leaving this year?. Also, if they count back to last year, they should be forced to accept last year as a redshirt year ( not the rule, just my opinion) Real question is if they are capable of getting 35 this year, what shady deal caused them to end up with 14 last year? Just doesnt seem plausible. Perhaps they convinced 10 players to walk on for a week and then gave them.scholarships? Seems like some rules are being seriously abused here somewhere.

Quote: " Perhaps they convinced 10 players to walk on for a week and then gave them.scholarships? Seems like some rules are being seriously abused here somewhere."

That won't work. The walkon>scholarship transition is governed by several rules preventing that. What UGA is doing is not violating any rules. It's a simple numbers game and how they got there is not a very desirable situation. Given their 'druthers, no team would like to be so low that they have 35 scholarships to offer in a single year.

I assume you mean before this years senior class leaves? 68 from 85 only leaves 17. So do they have 18 players leaving this year?. Also, if they count back to last year, they should be forced to accept last year as a redshirt year ( not the rule, just my opinion) Real question is if they are capable of getting 35 this year, what shady deal caused them to end up with 14 last year? Just doesnt seem plausible. Perhaps they convinced 10 players to walk on for a week and then gave them.scholarships? Seems like some rules are being seriously abused here somewhere.

No.I mean they had 68 players on scholly this past season. After seniors leaving and players going pro they are in the 40s.

Guest jojo1515

No.I mean they had 68 players on scholly this past season. After seniors leaving and players going pro they are in the 40s.

Seems like I remember them only being able to sign a limited # of schollys last year because of being to close to the 85. Did they really lose 17+ players to "attrition" in 1 year? Naybe I am not remembering correctly...

Seems like I remember them only being able to sign a limited # of schollys last year because of being to close to the 85. Did they really lose 17+ players to "attrition" in 1 year? Naybe I am not remembering correctly...

Dont know the reason but I know they only played with 68 this season.

It says a lot about the talent on UGA's team that they only had 68 players on scholly and still ended up in the top 5 after the season was over. I think they will be very good next year as well.

Since ugay does not have RG anymore, I don't think their class will be ranked as high as it's been over the last 4 or 5 years.

Since ugay does not have RG anymore, I don't think their class will be ranked as high as it's been over the last 4 or 5 years.

You could be right, and I would guess Coach Garner to AU may have some effect on UGA recruiting, but htey still have a good staff and Richt can close.

I wasn't paying that much attention, but this is similar to what CMR said on the radio in ATL this week.

Archived