Chubb gives some of "it" (criticism) back to Barbee

IronMan70

It's the system.

The dribble drive ain't gonna' work here.

Would love to eat some crow.

It's the system.

The system will work where ever there are players that can run it. Geography has no bearing on that.

It's working here as far as players getting open shots. That they can't make those shots is another matter.

It's the system.

I agree. I don't like it. Would love to see some good ole fashion motion-screening game with some full-court all out defense and half court trapping to get the break going. Cliff ball was fun-would love to see play like that again. I can't watch what the teams has been doing since Cliff was let go.

It's the system.

The system will work where ever there are players that can run it. Geography has no bearing on that.

It's working here as far as players getting open shots. That they can't make those shots is another matter.

That's the issue IMO...the system and players are not compatible. AU guys get wide open shots all over the place...although that might happen because most defenses don't respect our shooting skills ....and are more concerned about closing off the lane.

It doesn't matter what system a team runs, if the players can't hit open jump shots the wins are going to be few and far between.

It doesn't matter what system a team runs, if the players can't hit open jump shots the wins are going to be few and far between.

True...but what's curious is the guys quit hitting the open shots about ten games into the season. It wasn't just the tougher competition....the open jumpers were there against SEC teams.....it just seems that everyone lost their shooting eyes and confidence at the same time.

I'm either stupid or blind (eh...it could be both!) but I don't understand why coaches have a "system" that is unyielding. Scott Loefler, Tony Barbee, et al have "systems". Doesn't matter if the players match that "system" or not, that's what they run and will be damned if they will make a change to it. Keihl Frazier will become a drop back passer, no matter that his skill set was something different, the coach's "system" requires a drop back passer so you will be one. Tony Barbee runs the "dribble drive" and will have two 20 loss seasons struggling with that. Design schemes around the skillset of the players??? That might be admitting defeat!!

I'm either stupid or blind (eh...it could be both!) but I don't understand why coaches have a "system" that is unyielding. Scott Loefler, Tony Barbee, et al have "systems". Doesn't matter if the players match that "system" or not, that's what they run and will be damned if they will make a change to it. Keihl Frazier will become a drop back passer, no matter that his skill set was something different, the coach's "system" requires a drop back passer so you will be one. Tony Barbee runs the "dribble drive" and will have two 20 loss seasons struggling with that. Design schemes around the skillset of the players??? That might be admitting defeat!!

Good question and I wonder about that too...but perhaps it's because most of these younger coaches got where they are using their "system" and don't have a "plan B" when "plan A" fails.

I love what OL Coach Grimes had to say about teaching his OL...said they could learn blocking schemes to use against any defense known to man....I hope he is right.

While I do think that it might be time for AU to start a search for a new head coach, let's not forget that some of this is not totally Barbee's fault. Those 2 Birmingham guys---Koussoui (I know I misspelled the name) and Mareno---who's "handler" pulled them out of AU and placed them (I think) at Albany State for whatever reason, were being counted on to be a big part of the re-building process of AU basketball. Barbee did not run those 2 guys off.

Barbee has brought in some talent - for reasons (some out of BB's control) AU has not been able to retain that talent.

cant win if you cant make an open shot. or free throws. or rebound.

none of our guys hit the boards with any vigor after a shot. is that coaching? or selfishness? or simply hardheadedness? who knows.

free throws? that is coaching. make them shoot free throws till they hit 10 in a row before leaving the gym or your class the next morning ...

shooting. sorry, in my opinion that is on the players. they have been playing since they were kids. if they cant make an open shot then they need to give up basketball.

i have no problem with barbee's system. it has created shots. denson, payne, sullivan and to a much lesser extent, wallace, have gotten to the basket. we cant hit the open shots consistently on the kick outs and chubb is simply doing the best he can (in my best southern voice - "bless his heart").

but barbee's desire to berate the players in public and his substitution paterns dont appear to mesh with his current talent/player psyche/morale. that may eventually work, but does not seem to be getting the players best performance.

Serious question....has anyone checked to make sure we practice on 10 foot goals?

Probably like my old HS...10-0 at the backboard but slightly tipped up on the front lip...drove other teams crazy.

And re the comments from Mustache... I basically agree but have a couple thoughts.

Our poor rebounding is a buggaboo with me and I've been watching AU closely for a while.... basically when the ball goes up, everyone turns and heads back down court get into defensive positions. Probably TB has raked them over the coals about being late on defense but moslty we just concede the rebound. I hate it.

Foul shooting: Should be on the coaches but you can look all over the NCAA and teams everywhere have problems...Vandy near the bottom of the SEC...I mean Vandy...who would believe it. Or North Carolina with guys shooting in the 50 and 60%s. IMO this goes with the comment about shooting being on the players.....It's related to the fact that too many kids get amped up about slamming and jamming and never learn good shooting technique.

We just HAVE to recruit some pure shooters or it's always going to be bad.

It's the system.

These players may be getting open shots, but they are not shots that they can make. These guys got D-I schollies for a reason; they're decent ball players. This system does not play to their skill set . They need a system that gets them open looks at the basketball off of a pick within a more reasonable range for them. They need a coach who can see the short comings and coach to their strengths. I remain very disappointed and underwhelmed, but not surprised.

It's the system.

These players may be getting open shots, but they are not shots that they can make. These guys got D-I schollies for a reason; they're decent ball players. This system does not play to their skill set . They need a system that gets them open looks at the basketball off of a pick within a more reasonable range for them. They need a coach who can see the short comings and coach to their strengths. I remain very disappointed and underwhelmed, but not surprised.

Gotta agree with Mikey on this point in his post. And disagree with your comment. Our guys probably got their schollys because they were over 6'5 and can launch a slam dunk from the foul line. I doubt any of them had to regularly hit open jumpers from the key in their HS careers...and it shows. They are getting plenty of shots they SHOULD be able to make.....many of which, BTW , are right under the basket. Nobody is hitting from anywhere with a winning FG%.

Serious question....has anyone checked to make sure we practice on 10 foot goals?

Probably like my old HS...10-0 at the backboard but slightly tipped up on the front lip...drove other teams crazy.

And re the comments from Mustache... I basically agree but have a couple thoughts.

Our poor rebounding is a buggaboo with me and I've been watching AU closely for a while.... basically when the ball goes up, everyone turns and heads back down court get into defensive positions. Probably TB has raked them over the coals about being late on defense but moslty we just concede the rebound. I hate it.

Foul shooting: Should be on the coaches but you can look all over the NCAA and teams everywhere have problems...Vandy near the bottom of the SEC...I mean Vandy...who would believe it. Or North Carolina with guys shooting in the 50 and 60%s. IMO this goes with the comment about shooting being on the players.....It's related to the fact that too many kids get amped up about slamming and jamming and never learn good shooting technique.

this may sound silly and overly "old person" of me ... i think it is a "the kids these days" kind of issue ... selfish play. i dont recall who it was (somebody help me out here) but there was a set shot guy in the nba from the 50's ish who was not only a good shooter, but a phenominal rebounder. read an interview and his philosophy was simple. when i shot the ball, i never assumed it was going in and i followed it to the basket.

64, that kills me also. shot goes up and in mid air the entire team except our #5 is running the other way. i would think that consistently our 3 & 4 should be crashing the boards ... freaking dennis rodman style ... or at least when he is not on vacay in n. korea.

my dad was an old round ball coach for an inner city school. crazy, tons of athleticism. but they could by golly hit a free throw. anything under 75% is simply a lack of effort on the players part. 15' and straight on with plenty of time ... no excuses.

anything under 75% is simply a lack of effort on the players part. 15' and straight on with plenty of time ... no excuses.

Maybe Stache....but how much money do you think Shaq's NBA teams spent over the years on coaches who tried to teach him how to shoot free throws?

If you or I had it, we could be living in a beach house somewhere.

I do know however that your guards need to be able to shoot FTs if you want to win the close ones. Looking forward to better days.

WE

anything under 75% is simply a lack of effort on the players part. 15' and straight on with plenty of time ... no excuses.

Maybe Stache....but how much money do you think Shaq's NBA teams spent over the years on coaches who tried to teach him how to shoot free throws?

If you or I had it, we could be living in a beach house somewhere.

I do know however that your guards need to be able to shoot FTs if you want to win the close ones. Looking forward to better days.

WE

Praying for better days. Total embarrassment in both football and basketball IN THE SAME YEAR!!!!

this may sound silly and overly "old person" of me ... i think it is a "the kids these days" kind of issue ... selfish play. i dont recall who it was (somebody help me out here) but there was a set shot guy in the nba from the 50's ish who was not only a good shooter, but a phenominal rebounder. read an interview and his philosophy was simple. when i shot the ball, i never assumed it was going in and i followed it to the basket.

64, that kills me also. shot goes up and in mid air the entire team except our #5 is running the other way. i would think that consistently our 3 & 4 should be crashing the boards ... freaking dennis rodman style ... or at least when he is not on vacay in n. korea.

my dad was an old round ball coach for an inner city school. crazy, tons of athleticism. but they could by golly hit a free throw. anything under 75% is simply a lack of effort on the players part. 15' and straight on with plenty of time ... no excuses.

the crazy part of Dennis Rodman is that he studied game film on all of the players on the team and knew where they tended to miss shots from everywhere on the court. As eccentric as he was he studied the game and found a way to make a great career for himself.

Good for Rob. Barbee is the one getting the big bucks for coaching this team. He should take the blame from all sides.

Archived