Chubb gives some of "it" (criticism) back to Barbee

IronMan70

Chubb speaks up and gives "it" (public criticism) back to Barbee. Good for him, since the HC decided to go there first and criticize players by name in public. To those who think it is in vogue to say Chubb isn't very good, this is a Senior center on an SEC team, a team leader, averaging almost 9 pts. and 7 rebounds per game. Good luck replacing that next year Mr. Barbee.

Rob is playing in a Barbee offense that finds it hard to work it inside to him and he is a player that would have even better numbers with more development coaching and less finger pointing by the head coach. Three more games and its over Rob. Thanks for all the hard work and effort you have given over the years to Auburn. WDE

The following are three excerpts from the column along with the link.

AuburnAuthority.com

James Crepea, 2/27/13

"Chubb, Auburn’s leading rebounder (6.8 per game) has played for Barbee for three years and is the first player to publicly state his displeasure with the constant substitutions."

“Somebody does something wrong on defense, they deserve to come out,” said Chubb, who scored a team-high 13 points for Auburn, which lost for the 12th time in 13 games to match the worst stretch for the program since 1988-89.

“But at the same time the quick transition of different players, different combinations, different talents and strengths, it gets a little bit hard to get the chemistry together. Right as you start to get on a run, it’s 45 seconds and then it’s a change up in lineup. It’s not an excuse but it’s something hard to deal with.”

link: http://auburnauthori...urting-offense/

Advantage of being a senior...can speak his mind...but then again, as much as I appreciate his effort, Chubb is playing for the only team in the SEC where he can actually see meaningful playing time...everywhere else he would likely see mostly garbage time...... so I guess maybe it's even between him and TB.

Advantage of being a senior...can speak his mind...but then again, as much as I appreciate his effort, Chubb is playing for the only team in the SEC where he can actually see meaningful playing time...everywhere else he would likely see mostly garbage time...... so I guess maybe it's even between him and TB.

Maybe, maybe not, but then again he is scoring 9 points and 7 rebounds against those same teams from which you think he would only get garbage time. In any event, three more games for the Senior, I appreciate everything he has done for Auburn.

I just feel sorry for the players, who have undoubtedly gotten the short end of the stick in coming to Auburn because of this atrocious coaching, while Tony Barbee sits back and gets paid to sit in a chair and watch it all happen every single game.

I've been concerned about CTB's negativity for a while. He doesn't take ownership of problems and spends too much time assigning blame to players. He's the coach, it's his team, and he owns the problems. Criticizing young people is the best way I know to get them to shut down and quit trying.

Chubb is a lot better than many fans seem to think. I saw a numbers breakdown last year. While I don't remember the exact stats, AU scored more points than the opponents when Chubb was in the game and less points than the opponents when Chubb was on the bench. He's important to the team.

The guy has worked hard and made himself a lot better player than he was when he came to Auburn four years ago. He deserves a big War Eagle!

Chubb speaks up and gives it back to Barbee. Good for him, since the HC decided to go there first and criticize players by name in public. To those who think it is in vogue to say Chubb isn't very good, this is a Senior center on an SEC team, a team leader, averaging almost 9 pts. and 7 rebounds per game. Good luck replacing that next year Barbee.

Rob is playing in a Barbee offense that finds it hard to work it inside to him and he is a player that would have even better numbers with more coaching and less finger pointing by the head coach. Three more games and its over Rob. Thanks for all the hard work and effort you have given over the years to Auburn. WDE

AuburnAuthority.com

James Crepea, 2/27/13

Three excerpts from the article along with the link:

"Chubb, Auburn’s leading rebounder (6.8 per game) has played for Barbee for three years and is the first player to publicly state his displeasure with the constant substitutions."

“Somebody does something wrong on defense, they deserve to come out,” said Chubb, who scored a team-high 13 points for Auburn, which lost for the 12th time in 13 games to match the worst stretch for the program since 1988-89.

“But at the same time the quick transition of different players, different combinations, different talents and strengths, it gets a little bit hard to get the chemistry together. Right as you start to get on a run, it’s 45 seconds and then it’s a change up in lineup. It’s not an excuse but it’s something hard to deal with.”

link: http://auburnauthori...urting-offense/

I wouldn't really call that giving it back to Barbee...?

Either way, Chubb just needs to thank his lucky stars he's still on this team!

Personally, I would've kicked him off when got arrested for MIP, running from the cops, and then assaulting the police...

Barbee is giving him a second chance to play D1 basketball... Because, lord knows, he couldn't get quality minutes anywhere else.

Wow, totally didn't think this thread would turn into the hate on Chubb thread. He may not be the most talented, but he is a senior leader that seems to be giving his all and not giving up. Leading scorer against UAT? I think that says a little something about his work ethic and who is still giving it there all. And IMO, Chubb answered a question honestly. I don't really see it as "giving it back to Barbee". He shared what he sees. He even said, "Somebody does something wrong on defense, they deserve to come out", then led into the difficulty with having different combinations of players on the court.

Yeah, because Chubb and Co. were lighting it up earlier in the season. Doggone Barbee messed up their rhythm. Players are playing terrible...maybe Barbee is looking for a spark, someone to play with some pride and heart.

I agree WarEagl10....he has lost this team. I think Barbee is back next year and he needs to find a way to get the chemistry right or next season will be as bad or worse.

As far as Chubb is concerned. I respect that the guy goes out every game and gives his best. He is not starting because he is a senior, he's starting because he is the best option that Barbee has. 3 years to recruit and the 2 most productive players on the court are Lebo's recruits. THAT is what concerns me as much as anything.

I don't see this as hate Chubb....just a recognition of reality.

Chubb's the best inside option that TB has so he is going to play..... and sure he has some rebounds and points....I mean, he's in the game and is going to score from time to time and get some RB's but we are getting killed on the boards by about everyone. He's doing the best he can and I'm satisfied with that.....but IMO, this is an indication of why the team is doing no better than it is. That, and the fact that our leading scorer is shooting 37% which is the lowest in the SEC for any regular player....or maybe that FS is the only AU player in the top 40 in the SEC in scoring average....or that Noel J and Price are the only AU players in the top 40 of 3 point shooters.

The team misses open shots all over the place and in general, it's a statistical disaster and JMO but it's not TB's doing...other than he recruited these guys.

Yeah, because Chubb and Co. were lighting it up earlier in the season. Doggone Barbee messed up their rhythm. Players are playing terrible...maybe Barbee is looking for a spark, someone to play with some pride and heart.

Pretty easy to find your rhythm when you play Podunk St. A&M University. Not to mention we were only around .500 when we were "lighting it up".

Wow, totally didn't think this thread would turn into the hate on Chubb thread. He may not be the most talented, but he is a senior leader that seems to be giving his all and not giving up. Leading scorer against UAT? I think that says a little something about his work ethic and who is still giving it there all. And IMO, Chubb answered a question honestly. I don't really see it as "giving it back to Barbee". He shared what he sees. He even said, "Somebody does something wrong on defense, they deserve to come out", then led into the difficulty with having different combinations of players on the court.

He gave it back albeit to a lessor degree but considering everything he should have (given it back). Chubb's criticism was mild in comparision to Barbee criticizing his players, by name, in public. I don't get the hate on Chubb stuff either.

Chubb does as well as he can with limited talent. He routinely dribbles across the lane and loses the ball. At Ole Miss he committed three turnovers in warmups. Sometimes he hits the jump hook, but after hitting a couple moves out and starts missing jumpers. He also loses the handle on rebounds even when he has position, so his rebound total presented as solid earlier in this thread, should be at least 5 more. He usually has a double double, points and turnovers or rebounds and turnovers. I appreciate his effort also, but he and we must face reality. It's not hating on Chubb.

It still goes back to the coach. Teach him to do better or, sometime within the past 3 years, recruit a better player. Barbee has done neither....

Just to remind folks that TB has recruited a number of big guys since he got here.... including ADT who could be better next year with some more weight. But it you look around,, there are not that many big guys in the population and AU is certainly not at the top of the list for most of the top "big men". We will probably always be getting "projects" which means that some work out and some don't. I have hopes for ADT next season.

This is really worrisome. Even in the age of twitter (which this was not), a starter publicly dissing the coaching is a prime way for the coach getting dissed to get fired. Unless he has a LOT of wins.

Not to be melodramatic but Barbee's and/or JJ's ships may have just sailed.

While I do think that it might be time for AU to start a search for a new head coach, let's not forget that some of this is not totally Barbee's fault. Those 2 Birmingham guys---Koussoui (I know I misspelled the name) and Mareno---who's "handler" pulled them out of AU and placed them (I think) at Albany State for whatever reason, were being counted on to be a big part of the re-building process of AU basketball. Barbee did not run those 2 guys off.

Pretty easy to find your rhythm when you play Podunk St. A&M University. Not to mention we were only around .500 when we were "lighting it up".

Should have put my comment in yellow text to indicate sarcasm.

I don't mean this as sarcasm but I wonder if FS has some kind of optical problem or ???? He has never been a great shooter but for the last month, or more it's just awful. Right now, I don't think he could hit against Podunk U.....seems to me there is something physical.

Despite the complaints about TB, the offense is good enough to get open shots for about anyone who wants to take one....it's just that no one has a respectable shooting % but until the past month, FS was usually good enough from outside ....and worse still I guess, the best shooters are on the bench for unenthusiastic defense. Sad, Sad.

the experience the freshman are getting with al of these substitutions will show it's value next season, that is my hope at least!!

the experience the freshman are getting with al of these substitutions will show it's value next season, that is my hope at least!!

If those freshman were getting 25 minutes a game for the past two months I would agree. But Greene, Price and Granger have barely gotten on the court for the most part. That has a been a sore subject around here (at least for me) because it was obvious they should be getting more PT since January when we first realized that AU would not play in the post season.

Archived