Game 9: Eastern Illinois

Austin gets jammed but flares one over SS to score Cooper. 11-9 B9, no out. Runners on 1st and 2nd.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Wasted out on a bunt. Runner thrown out at 2nd. Runners on the corners now with 1 out.

Well that was horrible to watch...

And the cold just added to it. Is it excusable for Ebert to lose that popup in the 9th with 2 outs? Yes. Is it excusable for 2 outfielders to be 15 feet from it when it lands? Not at all. There was no hurry from anyone there so I am not sure if they thought Jordan had it or if it was bad execution all the way around. Either way, the outcome with the lack of players anywhere near the vicinity is inexcusable.

As for the bunt...good gosh the bunt. There were no outs. It's good. It is obvious nobody on this board likes the bunt regardless of when it is used. And sorry, but the bunt did not lose this game, but everyone who just likes to use it for their Pawlowski rant, I am sure it will overtake this thread with the "Fire him now chatter." I hate to go back and review how a certain at bat changed the game, because honestly you can't do that. With changing situations, pitch selection is different, the batters approach is different, there are very few similar variables. But, I will break my own rule here for the sake of a hypothetical, assuming the ball is hit in the same places at the same times it was tonight.

If Ebert gets out period without moving any runner over, Burgreene's shot to third is a third to home double play, nobody scores anyway. Yak lines out, we lose 11-9. If Ebert hits into an out, again the game's over with the same result regardless. If Ebert doubles on an outfield playing no doubles defense, then its 11-10 with a runner on second, followed by groundout third, Flyout left...again we lose. If it were with one out, then yes fire Pawlowski immediately, and giggle to your heart's content. But with no outs and two runners in scoring position, two chances to get a hit is a decision the majority of coaches will take every time. The call was right, the execution was wrong.

Lastly, maybe I'm different because I do not feel the need to be on a "Fire him"/"Keep him" background with every coach. I let my opinion shape itself over the course of a season (which is 400% larger than 9 games). And I have no qualms admitting I am not entirely thrilled with how CJP has managed certain situations early in the year. He's made some bonehead moves, some moves that were well thought out but not executed, and some good ones like every coach. It just gets tiring to hear lame excuses used ad nauseum from people who have obviously made up there mind about him. Your posts would be better served with a "I just don't like the guy. I want him fired" response than some of the stuff that gets nitpicked on. Right now, I am quite indifferent on him, despite two non-postseason seasons, because every day I walk to class, I see a regional banner that has a gap from 2003 to 2010 in there. He put the 2010 there. It's not like he walked into championship territory and regressed. Now, my rant is concluded, proceed to attack, I'm sure others will throw their "experience" card into the ring and try to say I have no clue what I'm talking about until I've done this, watched this, managed this. That might be true, but hey I hear that everyday in the real world, it's a rite of passage for college students, so I don't think I'll lose sleep over it. Now, I hope everyone enjoys their Friday night, and War Damn Eagle!

Well that was horrible to watch...

And the cold just added to it. Is it excusable for Ebert to lose that popup in the 9th with 2 outs? Yes. Is it excusable for 2 outfielders to be 15 feet from it when it lands? Not at all. There was no hurry from anyone there so I am not sure if they thought Jordan had it or if it was bad execution all the way around. Either way, the outcome with the lack of players anywhere near the vicinity is inexcusable.

As for the bunt...good gosh the bunt. There were no outs. It's good. It is obvious nobody on this board likes the bunt regardless of when it is used. And sorry, but the bunt did not lose this game, but everyone who just likes to use it for their Pawlowski rant, I am sure it will overtake this thread with the "Fire him now chatter." I hate to go back and review how a certain at bat changed the game, because honestly you can't do that. With changing situations, pitch selection is different, the batters approach is different, there are very few similar variables. But, I will break my own rule here for the sake of a hypothetical, assuming the ball is hit in the same places at the same times it was tonight.

If Ebert gets out period without moving any runner over, Burgreene's shot to third is a third to home double play, nobody scores anyway. Yak lines out, we lose 11-9. If Ebert hits into an out, again the game's over with the same result regardless. If Ebert doubles on an outfield playing no doubles defense, then its 11-10 with a runner on second, followed by groundout third, Flyout left...again we lose. If it were with one out, then yes fire Pawlowski immediately, and giggle to your heart's content. But with no outs and two runners in scoring position, two chances to get a hit is a decision the majority of coaches will take every time. The call was right, the execution was wrong.

Lastly, maybe I'm different because I do not feel the need to be on a "Fire him"/"Keep him" background with every coach. I let my opinion shape itself over the course of a season (which is 400% larger than 9 games). And I have no qualms admitting I am not entirely thrilled with how CJP has managed certain situations early in the year. He's made some bonehead moves, some moves that were well thought out but not executed, and some good ones like every coach. It just gets tiring to hear lame excuses used ad nauseum from people who have obviously made up there mind about him. Your posts would be better served with a "I just don't like the guy. I want him fired" response than some of the stuff that gets nitpicked on. Right now, I am quite indifferent on him, despite two non-postseason seasons, because every day I walk to class, I see a regional banner that has a gap from 2003 to 2010 in there. He put the 2010 there. It's not like he walked into championship territory and regressed. Now, my rant is concluded, proceed to attack, I'm sure others will throw their "experience" card into the ring and try to say I have no clue what I'm talking about until I've done this, watched this, managed this. That might be true, but hey I hear that everyday in the real world, it's a rite of passage for college students, so I don't think I'll lose sleep over it. Now, I hope everyone enjoys their Friday night, and War Damn Eagle!

I'm good with this. Baseball= win some, lose some, some get rained out.

The problem with Pawloski is not one game or a few early season games. The problems with Pawloski have been the same and consistent for four years previous to this one and now in the fifth year it's the same ol' same ol'. Pitchers that can't throw strikes, runners picked off base, wasting outs by having good hitters bunt in questionable situations, poor defense.

He canceled our home series with Arizona and failed to add any strong OOC team to the schedule this year. I guess after going 2-4 in two such series last year he hopes to improve the won/lost record by scheduling more patsies, RPI be dammed.

The most under-performing baseball team in Auburn history was Pawloski's failure to advance the 2010 team that was loaded with great hitters (Slater's recruits) in the NCAA or even the SEC tournaments. If he couldn't get it done with the 2010 team he'll never get it done.

The jury is still out on Barbee, he hasn't had enough time to turn things around. Not so with the baseball team. Pawloski has had plenty of time and there have been plenty of opportunities for him to learn at Auburn's expense. He's changed nothing in 5 years. Since he won't change, Auburn should do it for him as soon as the season is over.

The bunt was perplexing...

If it was with no outs I'd have no problem but with one out thats a head scratcher but oh well gotta move on and win the series.

It was with no outs.

I still have an issue with it, even if it had been executed well.

The bunt was an accepted strategy...see that all the time.......it's a problem here because the kid didn't get the bunt down properly....which I have to say, seems to occur too often.

Guess my biggest complaint over the years with JP is waiting too late to pull a pitcher....he gives them a lot of rope and pretty often they get hung....but then again, he knows what he has in the pen and what to expect from the next guy in line.

All in all, that's baseball....see the same problems from HS to the bigs....same kinds of errors, same screw-ups and same questionable managerial decisions.

The bunt was an accepted strategy...see that all the time.......it's a problem here because the kid didn't get the bunt down properly....which I have to say, seems to occur too often.

Guess my biggest complaint over the years with JP is waiting too late to pull a pitcher....he gives them a lot of rope and pretty often they get hung....but then again, he knows what he has in the pen and what to expect from the next guy in line.

All in all, that's baseball....see the same problems from HS to the bigs....same kinds of errors, same screw-ups and same questionable managerial decisions.

So you are saying there's no point in changing managers because "that's baseball"? Can't agree with that. Certain managers, and most that reach the major college level, can minimize those sorts of things. The good ones minimize it to a great extent. We're stuck with one that rather than minimizing a problem makes it worse.

Regarding failed bunt attempts: There's more to a manager calling for a bunt that him thinking "Gee, this might be a good situation to call a bunt". A manager needs to take into consideration the bunting skill of the batter and the base-running skill of the guy on base. Most failed bunt attempts are on the manager for calling for guys to do something they are not good at.

Two Auburn beat writers I used to read before they went to pay sites were Jay G. Tate at the Montgomery Advertiser and Andy Bitter at the Columbus Ledger-Inquirer. At various times, both of those guys mentioned Pawloski's "strange" in-game calls. Many things the guy does in game situations defy logic. Yesterday is a perfect example, with letting a pitcher hit a batter, walk two more and stay in a close game. It's not like some Little League team with limited pitchers. He's got a whole bench full of pitchers. A good manager will sense very quickly when his pitcher is having an off day and get him out of there. Apparently Paw can't do that.

Looks like another long baseball season.... We lowered our strength of schedule to boost our win total. Doesnt look like thats happening. Against a lot of inferior talent we have barely one games and collapsed in others. When I watch this team I see a poorly managed squad. Just so frustrating....

Sorry I stopped the updates yesterday, thanks to those who picked it up. Had to run, but glad I missed the rest of the game.

So you are saying there's no point in changing managers because "that's baseball"? Can't agree with that. Certain managers, and most that reach the major college level, can minimize those sorts of things. The good ones minimize it to a great extent. We're stuck with one that rather than minimizing a problem makes it worse.

I'm saying it's easy to second guess a manager or coach AFTER you see the outcome of his decision. I'm also saying that we can change coaches and you will be able to level the same complaints about the next guy too....which will probably make a lot of people happy. It's low hanging fruit to watch a baseball game and then second guess decisions when you have no "alternate universe" to see what would have happened if your preferred decision were factored into the decision.

I mean, the key factor in the loss was a misplayed pop-up.....and that's the coach's fault, or a kid can't get a bunt down and that's on the coach? Are you saying that you've never seen a bunch of major leaguers wander around under a ball saying "I've got it....you take it" ? Hey....it's baseball and it's basically spring training too.

I think what most of us fans are tired of is CP "small-balling" the team to death. Hitters are showing the other team's pitchers can't get them out so he'll call bunts to give the other team outs. Sometimes you have to let Div 1 baseball players actually play. What percent of AU's 27 outs have been sacrifice bunts. sqeeze bunts, base runners thrown out trying to steal, etc?

I don't know about everybody, but the folks on here that know the RPI have pretty much stated our season is over with this 3rd loss.

If that is the case then that absolutely sucks. I'm tired of watching underperforming teams. Regardless of the reason. I did take solace in watching my kids team play to their potential and smoked a team. I guess I will finish this sports year enjoying my kids' team's, like I should and always do.

Poor execution can be corrected. Leaving a pitcher who can't seem to find the strike zone in too long can be corrected. A head coach accepting less than absolute effort can be corrected, and should be. It is unacceptable to let relievers walk or hit batters, especially late in games. It is unacceptable to allow two outfielders to assume a middle infielder can go directly backwards forty feet and catch a fly ball. Not getting the bunt down the line, especially if the hitter is at the top or bottom of the order, is unacceptable. There are dozens of high school teams executing these fundamentals all over the southeast. This weak mental effort is unacceptable.

I don't know about everybody, but the folks on here that know the RPI have pretty much stated our season is over with this 3rd loss.

If that is the case then that absolutely sucks. I'm tired of watching underperforming teams. Regardless of the reason. I did take solace in watching my kids team play to their potential and smoked a team. I guess I will finish this sports year enjoying my kids' team's, like I should and always do.

I say we wait til conference play begins. I know the SEC is loaded with good teams but a quick look at the standings shows 4 teams with currently worse records than ours and another 3 with nearly identical records. If Auburn can finish at .500 and win the midweek games, then post season play should happen.

I'm saying it's easy to second guess a manager or coach AFTER you see the outcome of his decision. I'm also saying that we can change coaches and you will be able to level the same complaints about the next guy too....which will probably make a lot of people happy. It's low hanging fruit to watch a baseball game and then second guess decisions when you have no "alternate universe" to see what would have happened if your preferred decision were factored into the decision.

I mean, the key factor in the loss was a misplayed pop-up.....and that's the coach's fault, or a kid can't get a bunt down and that's on the coach? Are you saying that you've never seen a bunch of major leaguers wander around under a ball saying "I've got it....you take it" ? Hey....it's baseball and it's basically spring training too.

You'd be spot-on if we were discussing one game or even one series. We are discussing four previous seasons and the start of a fifth season with NO improvements. The same mistakes that led to losses in 2009 are leading to losses in 2013. It's not "just baseball" it's a fact of Paw's coaching ability, or more properly lack of same.

You might be able to find a better manager whose team makes similar mistakes in a given game, but you won't find a good manager's team repeating those mistakes over and over for five years.

Archived