2013 Fall Camp - Scrimmage & Practice (Sat, Aug 10)

RunInRed

Scrimmage starts at 10 in JHS but it is closed to the media so updates will be limited until Malzahn's presser at 12. There is an afternoon practice session as well but this will also be closed to the media.

Going to work: Gabe Wright and Angelo Blacken head to Saturday's scrimmage in Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium:

image.jpg

@AUGoldMine

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking there will be some separation between players after today

I sure hope so...

I sure hope so.

weird...

Bet we have a #1 and #2 QB established Sunday/Monday. Although I expected NM to grab #1 and KF to not be in the top 2, based on all the news, I am wondering if it is a race between KF and NM and possibly JJ.

I sure hope so..

Ok let me jump in on the QB drama.........12 has a baseball cap on.........14 is holding play signs...............10 has helmet on and ready............that means 6 is on the field

Per the pic by Andrew McCain in previous post

Ok let me jump in on the QB drama.........12 has a baseball cap on.........14 is holding play signs...............10 has helmet on and ready............that means 6 is on the field

I sure hope so

This thread may not be as good and timely as usual. I think I will be doing most of the heavy lifting with RIR having stuff to do today. I have 12 tabs open on different Auburn twitter accounts so I am at least ready. lol

Per the pic by Andrew McCain in previous post

Great observations ...if only w e could see the line and rbs bc that would give a better idea what unit is in

Ell u and RIR kill it. 2 true Auburn men. Thanks for your hard work. I'm on the beach right now refreshing every few mins. Cloudy day here in Gulf Shores. Low country boil here I come. And I do agree today there will be seperation

Some reading on CJUzomah while we wait in the calm before the storm. Link

Those looking for a surprise in Auburn's preseason camp should shift their eyes from the battle at quarterback for a brief second and look elsewhere in the backfield.

And near the tackles.

And over there in the slot at receiver.

Oh, and on the outside in some of the Tigers' formations.

His name is C.J. Uzomah, a versatile tight endcapable of playing up to five positions(yes, including quarterback) on offense, but it's his recent improvement as a blocker at H-Back that has position coach Scott Fountain beaming with pride.

More importantly, it has Gus Malzahn drawing up more formations and plays involving Uzomah and fellow tight end Brandon Fulse.

"That's been a big surprise for me in camp, because he has gotten better," Fountain said. "What that does for us as an offense is, him and Brandon Fulse, will be able to do some true tight end and they can both split out. The beauty for C.J. is he can now get in the backfield and do stuff that Jay Prosch does. That makes him a versatile, valuable guy, so people can't just always key in on personnel and what scheme we're running."

In other words, whenever Uzomah enters or leaves the game, opponents will no longer be able to glean extra clues as to what plays could possibly be called by Malzahn and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee.

Uzomah practiced in the spring primarily with the H-Backs, where Prosch, a workout legend in Auburn circles, has impressed coaches and will start this season. Uzomah's versatility -- he once played quarterback, receiver and running back during a game-winning drive in high school -- is important as he eyes time in the backfield at H-Back and at tight end and as a slot receiver. His 6-foot-4, 258-pound frame is also proving to be helpful as he attempts to block the likes of defensive ends Dee Ford andNosa Eguae in practice.

He entered August tied with Fulse as a co-starter at tight end, which really doesn't mean anything, Fountain said.

"There will be some opportunities where you'll see them on the field at the same time together," said Fountain, who coaches the tight ends and H-Backs. "It's not a position where it's just one guy in the game. That's the beauty of it."

Uzomah was rated one of the top 10 tight ends in the country out of North Gwinnett High in Suwanee, Ga. He caught seven passes for 136 yards and one touchdown in 10 games before breaking a bone in his right hand last season.

His production could -- and maybe should -- increase with Philip Lutzenkirchen now in the NFL and the wide-open competition at receiver. He wouldn't mind being the Tigers' No. 1 receiver, too.

"I have thought about it a lot," Uzomah said in July. "I think everybody would want to be that guy in a pressure situation to step up on third down of if you need a last-second touchdown then who are you going to throw it to? Everyone is working and battling to fill that position."

@WarBlogle: Sent my drone over Jordan-Hare, and the infrared camera shows that Ricardo Louis is on fire. #auburn #wareagle

Never doubt the blogle

E where is our picture of fruit!

I have not followed the practice threads much so I don't understand the reference.

I have not followed the practice threads much so I don't understand the reference.

Well the first few practices RIR had posted pictures from twitter of the mass amount of fruit they've been preparing for the players after practice. Since then it's been an on going joke about wanting to see the fruit.

They have fruit for the players to eat and and pictures of said fruit are all over the practice threads.

Archived