The QB race narrows ...

RunInRed

Phillip Marshall opines ...

My guess is that we'll be told after practice today that the race is down to two. Which two? My only prediction is that junior college transfer Nick Marshall will be one of them.

9130596.jpeg

(photo viaTodd Van Emst)

http://www.auburntigers.com/ot/blog_phillip_marshall_marshalllaw.html

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnson has really worked hard since arriving on campus. Had he been able to enroll early for Spring camp, he might have increased his chances of being the starter. The fact he is in the running now, is impressive.

Johnson has really worked hard since arriving on campus. Had he been able to enroll early for Spring camp, he might have increased his chances of being the starter. The fact he is in the running now, is impressive.

Stat, have you made a prediction on the battle? I know your expertise on offensive philosophies and designs, and I've been out of the loop a bit, so sorry if you have. I may have missed it.

Stat, have you made a prediction on the battle? I know your expertise on offensive philosophies and designs, and I've been out of the loop a bit, so sorry if you have. I may have missed it.

If I had to bet on it, I'd wager on Marshall.

excitement builds....now once one is selected....I hope we as a fan base can come together and support that QB unlike we seem not to support the starting MLB...we are a family and we don't know what aspects of the QB game that were most critical in their picking one....we all have our own bias so here's hoping we can put those aside!....WDE!

If Johnson had enrolled early and participated in spring practice, I believe he would be the frontrunner at this point.

He may not start the first game, but Johnson will play and eventually start if the upperclassmen faulter. I wish he could redshirt, but I don't think Auburn has that luxury.

If Johnson had enrolled early and participated in spring practice, I believe he would be the frontrunner at this point.

He may not start the first game, but Johnson will play and eventually start if the upperclassmen faulter. I wish he could redshirt, but I don't think Auburn has that luxury.

Hard to say bc if marshall had been enrolled as well it may have been decided after the 1st scrimmage but regardless the future is bright

JJ is a great athlete and will be a great QB in the SEC. Just hope he has a chance to redshirt this year.

If Marshall goes down, the redshirt could be burnt. Hoping this does not happen, obviously.

The interesting thing now, is who will be the #2? If by work ethic and ability, we would have to say Johnson, but that burns his RS.

At this point it would seem to come down to KF and JW. Initially I thought it would be Wallace but I have heard Frazier has been better in the practices.

i cant remember ... isnt there a certain number of plays a kid can participate in games and still be redshirted? used to be that way. it was generally considered the first 3 games, but i was thinking it actually had to do with number of plays ... maybe that relates to injuried induced loss of the remainder of the year? one play on the field in the first game, none after that and remain healthy = redshirt burnt? curious and cant remember ...

Even if it is Marshall I think Gus uses Johnson in the wildcat and plays him as a freshman. I will not be surprised if Johnson wins it outright. Is playing a QB with one year of JUCO really that much different than a true freshman? No offense but JUCO is just another year of high school ball.

Even if it is Marshall I think Gus uses Johnson in the wildcat and plays him as a freshman. I will not be surprised if Johnson wins it outright. Is playing a QB with one year of JUCO really that much different than a true freshman? No offense but JUCO is just another year of high school ball.

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

If they burn Johnson's redshirt so he can be a wildcat QB i'm going to find a way to get close enough to Malzahn to slap him! lol

Why use Johnson in the wildcat when Marshall can run it? That doesn't make much sense. All of our Qbs are capable of running the wildcat and i'm of the opinion that we may not be running it much or if we do we'll use Bray or a RB to run the wildcat when we do run it. It makes no sense to burn Johnson's red-shirt or mess up the starter's rhythm by bringing in another Qb just to run the wildcat.

There will only be one Qb and KF will come in on mop up and if NM goes down for a long period of time JJ will come in thus burning his red shirt. We'll have co-back ups although i highly doubt Gus will acknowledge we do. We'll only see it if NM happens to miss serious time.

If they burn Johnson's redshirt so he can be a wildcat QB i'm going to find a way to get close enough to Malzahn to slap him! lol

Me too!

JJ is a great athlete and will be a great QB in the SEC. Just hope he has a chance to redshirt this year.

If Marshall goes down, the redshirt could be burnt. Hoping this does not happen, obviously.

The interesting thing now, is who will be the #2? If by work ethic and ability, we would have to say Johnson, but that burns his RS.

At this point it would seem to come down to KF and JW. Initially I thought it would be Wallace but I have heard Frazier has been better in the practices.

I'm thinking two #2s in essence, both for different situations.

Frazier as the #2 for mop up, some Wildcat calls and 1 or 2 plays for a minor injury or an equipment malfunction to #1.

Johnson as the #2 in the case of a major injury to #1 but a redshirt other than that.

Why use Johnson in the wildcat when Marshall can run it? That doesn't make much sense. All of our Qbs are capable of running the wildcat and i'm of the opinion that we may not be running it much or if we do we'll use Bray or a RB to run the wildcat when we do run it. It makes no sense to burn Johnson's red-shirt or mess up the starter's rhythm by bringing in another Qb just to run the wildcat.

There will only be one Qb and KF will come in on mop up and if NM goes down for a long period of time JJ will come in thus burning his red shirt. We'll have co-back ups although i highly doubt Gus will acknowledge we do. We'll only see it if NM happens to miss serious time.

Exactly. Marshall, Frazier and Wallace can all run. There is no point in having a designated Wildcat Qb.

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

Absolutely. It may be a long shot on JJ but I think it is possible. We have a QB committed for next year, one the year after that and I think from the little I hear that JJ is performing quite well. Few predicted that Wallace would see playing time last year yet he did. I'm all for red-shirting him if Marshall is everything everyone seems to think he is but if he is not what then? I'm just saying it is a hell of a step from Community College to the SEC.

Perfect timing on this thread as I was about to drop some nuggets on this. Even if JJ does not win the job expectations now are he will play and not Redshirt this season. Marshall has been the best on run plays and overall management while JJ has been best on pass plays.

Perfect timing on this thread as I was about to drop some nuggets on this. Even if JJ does not win the job expectations now are he will play and not Redshirt this season. Marshall has been the best on run plays and overall management while JJ has been best on pass plays.

So, am I looking too deep into it, or could Marshall be a wildcat QB?

All the remarks about how big of a step up the SEC is from Junior College are correct but also need to remember the fact that while he will be facing much tougher defenses he will also be surrounded by much more talented teammates.

I think with the young QB commits we have right now, not RSing JJ will be just fine for AUBURN's and his future.

If I had to bet on it, I'd wager on Marshall.

I agree, and from what little information has been available, this competition could have been over by now if he had had more time to become accustomed to his role in this offense. To me, the bright spot is that the staff appears to see competition for the second and third spots as well. Hopefully this means that there has been marked improvement with one of the veterans. Even if Marshall decisively wraps the position up in coming days, it is crucial that some dependable depth is established for the season. Hopefully Auburn will have that this season.

Archived