Historic Best Auburn DB's

Newbomb

Fred Smith, Chris Shelling, Brian Robinson, Calvin Jackson, Ken Alvis, Otis Mounds, Del McGee. The db's in the 93-94 seasons were awesome.

Kevin Porter, Jerraud Powers, David Langner, etc. There have been some really good ones at AU.

Sorry. I can't remember his first name. A guy from the early 80's. Last name King. Head Hunter............

Corey Barlow (late in the Dye years) was an All-American.

There was a dude on the '72 team that my dad talks about a lot, but his name currently escapes me. Multi-time all-American I believe.

I'm glad someone add Jerraud Powers. I think he was the second best CB of the Tuberville era (over Rod Hood and David Irons). It really hurt when he left early. Powers and McFadden would've been killer bookends in 2009.

Regardless, Tim was talking about David King. He was a man.

Tucker Frederickson: I know that he was a running back. But,he also played safety and led the team in Int's one year.Shug called him the most complete football player I've ever seen. No doubt about it, Tuck was a force and team player.He was good. Buddy McClinton was one of the best also.

Carlos Cheatham has to be on there. His hit on Reggie Cobb back in 88 was perfect. That one is one of my all time favorite plays. Really good all around db Larry Melton and Rob Pate go on there too.

I may be mistaken but i think Buddy McClinton still holds the record for most INTs

You are not mistaken (18 career ints, 9 in one season) and he was a concensus All American in 1969. In 1970 Larry Willingham was also a concensus AA and was so good that opposing teams only threw to his side of the field 7-8 times all year his senior year. Probably need to add Mike Fuller, concensus AA in 74 and perhaps the best punt returner in AU history. David Langner was a little bada$$ who was All SEC a couple of times..

I did not realize how good j powers was. When he left early i thought he was crazy. I can't get the LSU loss out of my head. He is flat doin it in the league now. One of my favs.

Archived