2013 NCAA Football Uniform Tracker

Clint

Hi everyone. Welcome to my summer long project of collecting nearly every single NCAA football team's uniform changes. I did this for the first time last year (which you can read here) I’m back at tracking the uniforms again this year. This has been a long project, so if I miss anything or mess anything up, please bear with me. Since there are nearly 70 teams mentioned in this list, I am splitting it into two parts. Everything mentioned of the uniforms are specifically my opinion, and the grades are mine. I am not trying to influence anyone on how to feel about these. I’m sure many of you will hate the ones I love, and vise versa. That, in my opinion, is what makes uniforms so great; one person could absolutely love it, and the guy right beside you could hate it. I’m going to start this off with a few of the new NCAA rules that affect uniforms, then start going down the list, starting with the SEC. Hope you enjoy!

NCAA rule changes- Two new changes for the NCAA relate directly to uniforms. The first, what I call the USC rule, bans players from changing uniform numbers during the game unless the alert the referee, for the use of a player playing two different positions (numbers are assigned to certain positions; example, 50-79 is for lineman).

The second rule dictates that the uniform numerals must contrast completely with the color of the jersey. The number must be clearly in contrast, regardless of any border around the number. This rule will basically ban gradient numbers, much like what Nike liked to use with their ProCombats, and even these from Oregon, which I thought was always a good look for them.

SEC

1. Arkansas- Nike and the Hogs released new uniforms last year (yuck). Well, with the NCAA’s new uniform number rules, they had to change them. And boy do they look a lot better. Finally, the NCAA did something right! Arkansas also updated some other aspects of the uniform, with the removal of the second shoulder stripe, and a new decal on the white helmets. Not huge changes, but upgrades. Grade- B+
  2. Auburn- The past few years for Auburn’s uniforms haven’t been the greatest. Following a national championship (which was the last year the uniforms looked their best), UnderArmour makes the numbers and nameplates smaller and skinnier. Last year was an upgrade, as they both were enlarged, but still a bit skinnier than in the past. Also, a “WAR EAGLE” ‘tramp stamp’ was added just below the belt. Thankfully, that seems to be removed. I can confirm that the biggest difference is the cut of the jerseys. They have more room for the players’ arms to move around better. Hopefully next year the numbers, nameplates, and pant stripes will be back to normal. Also, and this is just me being picky, does the SEC patch not look a bit cramped? Could it not be scooted over about a quarter inch to the outside? It was with the pennant logo patch…Grade- A-
  3. Florida- Florida has not changed their uniforms in so many years (other than a ProCombat every now and then). But 2013 comes a change for the gators. The striping and number fonts are slightly different than the past. The gator head patch on the jerseys had been cloth patches, but now seem to be a plastic chip, similar to the new NFL logo on the Nike uniforms. Also, a recruit posted this picture online which has a grey pair of pants. No confirmation on these, so we’ll wait and see. Grade- B-
  4. Georgia- According to the news release, Georgia and Nike spent 15 months working on this new “rebranding” of the athletic department. FIFTEEN MONTHS! For what?! A new word mark, alternate logo, and number font? Really?! C’mon now. That shouldn’t take more than fifteen weeks. Tops. Football wise, they really didn’t do much (here are the old ones). They just transitioned UGA to the new Nike template (much like they did with Alabama for the NC game), and changed the number font, which isn’t very good to begin with…Personally, I’m just more of a fan of boxier fonts for a football uniform than rounded. Looks a bit childish. Grade- C+
  5. Kentucky- Now, Kentucky went nuts last year with their new uniforms. This year, this grey jersey and lid were posted online. Head Coach Mark Stoops has said that these will not be used until 2014, but you saw it first here!
  6. LSU- No uniform changes as of now, but LSU did trademark this new logo for use on merchandising. Keep an eye out and we’ll see if it is transitioned into the athletic department in the future. Grade- N/A
  7. Mississippi State- Oh boy did this stir up some ruckus. A pink breast cancer jersey, with grey Zubaz pants. I seriously get shivers every time I see this thing… Thankfully, this has been claimed as just a creative mock-up. You may now rejoice (I sure am!)!

*UPDATE*- Turns out adidas really did have something new for MSU. New egg bowl unis (woo…). Now these are decent. Not wonderful, not pitiful. Looks an awful like the same set they wore for the same game a few years ago

1. Ole Miss- Ole Miss has updated their uniforms for the new season. And it's very unfortunate. Ole Miss had some really nice uniforms the past couple of years. Now, they’ve added blue and white pants to go along with their greys. No more are the red-blue pants stripes, as “REBELS” has replaced them on the pants leg, similar to what Arkansas used to have. The new tops are nothing more than removal of color. One color to “compliment” the base color. The old jerseys at least had some outline color, even if it was just the word mark under the collar. These, these are just plain bland. I’m really disappointed in these. Pants are awful. Jerseys are boring. Nicely done Ole Miss and Nike, you ruined a typically nice looking set. And I miss the grey tops… Grade- C-
  2. South Carolina- UnderArmour has new uniforms the Gamecocks from South Carolina. Not terribly bad, not much better than last year’s. Still a bit of an identity crises with just random stripes and such. But, it would be difficult to make a Gamecock look good on the field…I do like the socks though…Grade- B-
  3. Tennessee- Tennessee has added some small changes to their uniforms. First, adidas moved them to the awful “tread marks” template (keep reading for more on that). Secondly, the state of Tennessee has been added as a patch above the nameplate. Look for some small changes to continue over the next few years. Grade- B+

*UPDATE* Tennessee has now released a new “Smokey” grey alternate, with grey tops and bottoms. These aren't too awful, to me. I like the pants striping; looks real good. The “tread marks” are back, of course…I would’ve liked to have seen an alternate helmet. If they’re going to do something like this at Tennessee, why not go all out? Here’s a picture of all their “base” combos. Grade- B

1. Texas A&M- Not much of a change uniform wise for the Aggies, but more of an adidas template change. All the adidas teams are appearing to wear these new uniforms, which have been referred to as ‘tire tread marks’ by UniWatch. Just wish we knew the reasoning behind this from adidas…just doesn’t make much sense…Anyways, back to the Aggies. “Gig ‘Em” has been added to the inside of the back collar. Thankfully, unlike many other adidas teams, the adidas logo is on the chest, and not below the collar. I’m personally interested to see how this new template looks on the field, and if you can even see the “treads”. Also expect a black alternate or a new helmet or two. If I remember correctly, A&M plans to “blackout” Alabama at home this year. Grade- B
  2. Vanderbilt- Last year Nike and Vandy unveiled a new set, with new helmets (still love the white lid). So, we haven’t heard from them at all this offseason. But, look at their coach. Wouldn’t put anything past him.

PAC 12

1. Arizona- Few years ago Nike spent all their time working with Arizona State. And boy did Sparky look good. This time around, the Swoosh spent their time with the Wildcats of Arizona. And boy did they miss the ball here. Bleh. I thought the rainbow trend died with the ‘80s Astros? (BTW, love the “Tequila Sunrise” jerseys, and they’re somewhat making a comeback) Like mentioned, the NCAA released new rules not allowing these gradient numbers, but since Nike and Zona were already producing these, they got a waiver. And that’s a shame. Ugly, underwhelming, and the helmets are awful. The copper helmet was released last year, as a nod to the state flag, and it’s alright, just doesn’t look like it matches nor belongs. Now, the red helmet was released last year as well, and it belongs back in the dumpster. Red lid AND red facemask??? No. Just, no. Bad Bear. Although, these do look cool, even though they will never see the field…Grade- C-
  2. Arizona State- In 2011, ASU redesigned their entire athletic department. What they and Nike did back then was really amazing. Now, according to this picture, they have introduced a new set of helmets with oversized pitchfork logos. I, for one, think these look amazing. I’ve been a fan of whatever ASU has done since this redesign. They just keep surprising and looking good! No word just yet if these helmets will be a replacement for the original or just an alternate. Grade- A
  3. California- Like many programs, California has decided to rebrand their athletic department with the help of Nike. They even tried to use a new logo for the school itself, but that didn’t go over so well. Cal has had a true identity crises over the past few seasons. They never could get their look down. It was always a mess. Nike stepped in to help with that this year. They now have new blue, yellow, and white uniforms, and will obviously mix and match to their pleasing. At first look, I really like these. Simple, yet bold. The bear on the shoulder and hip (which so happens to be a brand spanking new logo, mind you) is a little distracting, but will take some getting used to. The matte blue helmet looks good, but like always with matte helmets, execution is key (see rant below, at Middle Tennessee State). These new uniforms also have a necktie thing, just like (my) Jacksonville Jaguars with their new uniforms. We’ll see how this looks in the fall on the field. The bear details inside the numbers will more than likely be a detail overseen unless up close and personal with the uniforms. Grade- A-/B+
  4. Colorado- This photo was one of the first prototypes revealed over the offseason. I really hope this prototype is real. We haven’t heard from Colorado since this, so who knows what’s going on over there.
  5. Oregon State- Oregon State and Nike spent so much time the past year or so working on this. I must say, these are the most beautiful uniforms of the offseason. I LOVE everything about this uniform set! The new logo is slowly growing on me, but I like it. The three different jerseys are amazing! I LOVE the three helmets, especially the matte black one! The stripes extending to the facemask are supposedly to resemble a badger’s front teeth, and it looks great. One matte helmet, two metallic, each with completely different styles- blank for the black one, TV numbers on the orange one, and the badger logo on the white one. Nike really did a wonderful job rebranding every aspect of OSU’s athletic departments. This is by-far the best uniforms in a long time! Kudos to everyone involved! #ReBeaved (Here’s what they wore before) Grade- A++
  6. Oregon- Oregon could, and probably should, have their own section just for them on here. We honestly haven’t heard much from the Ducks this offseason, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t working on a lot. We seriously only have a few pictures. Here is the newest retail version of their jerseys; nothing much different. We then get a few pictures of all yellow look. Not bad, I like. Just wait and see what Uncle Phil and Nike can put together for Oregon.
  7. UCLA- adidas, again, goes with something completely useless and just plain odd. UCLA has recently used the same “super-stretchy” material like what Reebok had a lot of NFL teams in, the NY Giants mainly (adidas and Reebok are owned by the same company, in case you didn’t know). Now this jersey is just weird. What’s the point? What was their inspiration? (Usually designers have a reason- school history, campus architecture, etc…- but this just seems like a “heck, it looks cool [kinda], let’s do it!” kinda thing) Jim Mora was actually quoted at some point saying how he wanted the UCLA stripes (what they are technically called) to go all the way around, like they used to be, but that obviously hasn’t happened yet.
  8. Washington- The Washington Huskies also have a brand new chrome gold helmet prototype! Who knows if this is real or not. We’ll see soon enough.

Big Ten

1. Illinois- A picture of this nice orange lid with a blue block “I” leaked a while ago. Illinois helmet prototypes have leaked before, but (if I remember the story correctly) I believe this picture was tweeted by a coach. And weeks after speculating if it was real or not, they officially revealed this one. This new "I” lid replaces the old orange “ILLINOIS” helmet, although their matte blue helmet will remain in the rotation. Grade- B
  2. Indiana- The Hoosier’s now have the worse arsenal of helmets ever. I guess Indiana has a few guys somewhere in the program that wanted to do something for the sake of doing it. These are awful. Flat awful. The weird design on some of the helmets is supposedly from the state flag. Doesn’t look right when it is not in its original colors…”17 year olds love shiny things…” Oh, and let’s just add “tread marks” to top it off… Grade- C-
  3. Michigan-Funny story out of Michigan during spring practice. Apparently they wanted to change the color of their none-contact practice jerseys to orange. Well, why pay for new jerseys when you can get some for free? Ask and you shall receive! Oregon State (that just went under a full redesign of their own) sent Michigan a few old Orange jerseys, in which Michigan repurposed. Oddly, OSU is a Nike school. Michigan is an adidas school. Not very often do you see mingling like this between two schools with completely different apparel company contracts. But no need to let good jerseys go to waste! Turns out adidas did not like this one bit, and as soon as word got out, they sent Michigan orange practice jerseys from their own shop. Seems like a lot of work to make sure your product is on the [practice] field, right? Grow up adidas…
  4. Nebraska- Well, adidas is going after Nebraska…again…as you can see, they went for something really unique last year. This year is no exception. I like that the Black Shirts tradition is being involved for once, not like in the past where they added black pants because of the same tradition. The stencil number font is just a novelty. You probably won’t even notice on TV. I LOVE the matte white helmet though. I think a lot of Nebraska’s uniforms seems a little underwhelming because their logo is nothing more than a block “N”. So, you do what you can with what you’ve got. Unfortunately, these have the same “tread marks” as every other new adidas uniforms…shame… You’ll get to these on TV when Nebraska plays UCLA, which I’m sure will probably have their own special uniforms as well, so schedule the DVR if you like, or avoid it if you want to avoid these
  5. Northwestern- Last year UnderArmour went and completely overhauled Northwestern’s uniforms, and I loved them. This year, we got a shot of a helmet with a USA style decal, which a lot of teams have been doing lately. As with most, these are a nice gesture, but look so out of place…Grade- B-

*UPDATE* Northwestern has released a great matte white helmet, to go with their white pants and tops. I LOVE this. NU has always had that purple helmet, and last year broke out some black ones, but this one, this one POPS! I love it. I want it on my shelf. Grade- A

1. Ohio State- Though we haven’t seen a game cut version of these changes, we have seen the retail versions. And these have new buckeye leaves around the back of the collar. As well as some minor number font changes. We just need to wait for more. Grade- B-
  2. Penn State- As Penn State has tried very hard to separate itself from the Paterno era, they have changed up their traditional simple uniforms. Last year, they added player names on the back. This year, the cat head logo has been added to the bottom of the collar. Other than that, these aren’t much different. But I still wouldn’t rule out more changes, as they really want to get away from JoePa as much as possible… Grade- B

Big 12

1. Baylor- Another team that has had a bit of an identity crises when it comes to their football uniforms is Baylor. With RG3, they had bear stripes. Now, they have these. And don’t worry, the Bears of Baylor would never be outdone in the helmets race. Try (so far), three new helmets, plus the traditional gold one. A nice pretty white one, a well done matte black one, and get this, a gold one! The chinstrap is even gold!! Yea, I’m not so sure how that’s going to go over on the field either. I’m really hoping it never sees the field, and is used for special occasions, similar to what the (my) Jaguars gave the Weaver family after they sold the team. But that won’t be the case, and these, I think, will see a lot of action. Going to need your shades to watch these on TV. And one last look at them all. Baylor will be wearing 1950 throwbacks at some point this year. Curious to see what they look like, and when they wear them. With all the new uniform combos they have, I don’t know when they’ll be able to wear them… Grade- B-
  2. Iowa State- One of the greatest eras in football was when nearly every single football team wore vertical stripes, like these. The Pittsburg Steelers threw back to something similar to those about a decade or two ago. Now, Iowa State is going to do the same. I love these! I wish it was required for every team that wore this design in their past had to wear their own version of these for at least one game. Keep the history in the game people! Grade- A
  3. Kansas- Think to yourself- What do the Kansas Jayhawks need? If you answered five different helmets in five different colors, you’d be right! And Kansas would be wrong! I don’t think anyone needs five different colored helmets, except Oregon, cause, ya know, they work it. Kansas doesn’t need anything other than their original helmet, and a throwback baby blue every now and then. But here, even the original blue helmet looks bad. As well do the white and red ones. Especially the red lid. Yuck. Oddly, I really like the matte black lid. That just looks sick to me. But there’s that beautiful baby/powder blue lid that looks awesome! No logo, just TV numbers. This picture makes it look matte, which I think would be pretty cool. And now that we have this picture of the helmets with correlating color jerseys, we can get a better picture of these. Really don't know what to think about these now. Somewhat disappointing they don’t have a red top in this picture. No need for the red lid right?? (Turns out they had a black top last year?) Wonder if they’ll have just as many pants. If so, then they really need to mix and match well. I can imagine some of these combos looking good, and some, well, not so well…Also, “treadmarks”Grade B-/C+
  4. TCU- One of the latest reveals in the summer is from TCU. Nike has had so much fun with TCU over the past few years. It a bit ridiculous with what they have come up with. Now, they have gone completely off the wall. New plain black uniforms, with red accents (I didn’t know TCU had red as a color…). And a new… unique… helmet. I am not a fan of the solid uniforms. The shoulders do invoke a similar pattern to what my Jaguars wear, but it’s just not enough. The helmet is odd, but I kinda like it. Another HGI concept. I like the horned frog skin pattern on the lid, but I honestly am not sure what the red stripe is…Well, according to Nike “The uniform also features red accents that harken back to the horned frog’s defense mechanism - a shot of blood from the eyes that repels encroaching foes.” Alright then…Grade- B-
  5. Texas Tech- Texas Tech’s helmet table may consist of the most prototypes seen this year. Some of these look flat out awesome. Others, not so much. The red helmet with the Red Raider looks awesome! The black one just below that looks pretty good as well. The two white helmets with the red stripe down the middle, which seem to be the same helmet, just different sides, looks really cool, with logo on one side, TV number on the other, and “GUNS UP” on the stripe. I like that one. Unfortunately, when TT revealed their new uniforms from UnderArmour, they only had one helmet. And the only difference with that one, is the red stripe with “Guns Up” at the base of it. Now, these uniforms aren’t great. Random stripes, yay…The good news is they can mix and match and still look decent. Rumor is there is a grey alternate, but we’ll have to see. Wish some of those prototypes had turned out real… Grade- B-
  6. Texas- Texas is another team to update their uniforms and transition them to Nike’s new template. This picture is just a prototype, but the new on field versions will be the same, except for no Flywire. The Longhorn logo is new. And it looks like a plastic chip, similar to Florida’s Gatorhead and the NFL shield. The whites are the exact same; no Flywire, plastic chip, everything else. Grade- Improvement
  7. West Virginia- The Mountaineers of WVU have released some…bold…uniforms this year. West Virginia kept the original blue helmet, but added a white and yellow helmet to the rotation (first time since for the white one since 1979 and the gold one since 1978).The helmets look nice. I like them. Especially the all white one. The jerseys are so plain, they border on the line of being uninspired. Nike threw in the color-stained arm pit thingys, like what LSU wore a while ago. Those are just a poor design element. Nike also created a brand new number font, which is supposed to resemble a miner’s ax. Eh, ok…Some cool elements though, Nike put the state motto of Montani Semper Liberi, which is Latin for Mountaineers are Always Free, into the collar, as well as a unique yellow canary, which were sent into caves by miners to detect deadly gases. Grade- B-

ACC

1. Clemson- The new ACC patch looks like a billboard. What's with the background not matching up? Looks very disjunct and out of place. Just doesn’t blend well. Should’ve stuck with the ole pennant logo. But that’s an ACC issue, not Clemson.
  2. Florida State- What do the Seminoles look like with their new ACC patch? Glad you asked! Here ya go! Nothing special…too billboard like…
  3. Georgia Tech- I would never post a fan’s tweaks or complete overhauls on this list. I want to do only legit news and uniforms you will see on the field this season. But there is an exception here. This is just too good to pass up. Apparently, news broke out that Georgia Tech was to have a brand new uniform set for this year (we haven’t seen anything yet). A few people started tweeting out this picture. Unfortunately, it’s all fake. I LOVE this uniform, give or take the bee helmet stripe. This looks like someone took Michigan’s throwback uniforms and put it on steroids. I love the humorous smiling bee face on the shoulders. I love this uniform so much it hurts that it isn’t real. The biggest shame, GT has had the biggest identity crises over the past decade(s) and really could have used a bold uniform like this! No grade since its fake, unfortunately But we do actually have some things from GT. We have new retail versions arriving at stores. What's different? Nothing much, just that the “TECH” under the collar now reads “GT”. Here’s the “honeycomb” style they broke out mid-season last year. Please, Russell, I’m begging you. Do something good!

*Did you know that GT has now played 100 years at Grant Field at Bobby Dodd Stadium? I didn’t either. Not until they released this logo for the occasion.

1. Miami- Here are their uniforms with the new ACC logo patch. Blends in much better here. Hopefully Nike will take Miami through a full rebranding like they have so many this offseason real soon.
  2. North Carolina- UNC unveiled their new unis before their spring game. And they should’ve waited longer and spent more time at the drawing board. I’m not sure what the designer(s) of these was thinking. So very basic that it’s bad. Black numbers across the board, which isn’t even a team color. The Nike Flywire color just sticks out contrasting like that. The single stripe on the shoulder creates what seems like an empty spot on the jerseys. Very underwhelming and nothing special. They have brought back the HGI chrome tarheel helmet from last year. Just not a fan of the use of black at all. UNC announced before these were revealed that they would have a blackout game. The black uniforms are sadly the best set, only because of the solid color Flywire and use of Carolina blue on the numbers. And a nice lid. And just fyi…These are just…bad. Grade- D
  3. Virginia Tech- New military appreciation helmets for VT for the Sept. 21 game vs. Marshall. I am not a fan of these whatsoever. These are horrendous. Really hoping they don’t have matching uniforms, but I highly doubt that. Grade- D+
  4. Wake Forest- The Demon Deacons have joined the armed race with new helmets of their own. Why anyone would place a matte black logo on a matte black helmet to the point where no one can see it is beyond me. The white, double-sided helmet, with the Deacon logo on one side, is definitely going to take some getting used to. Right now, I’m not a fan. Just hope they look better on the field. Grade- D-

SCATCH THAT!!

Turns out all this pictures above were just fakes. Possible prototypes by the athletic department. THANKFULLY! Here are the real lids they revealed. Like the new matte black and white lids. Now just to redo the jerseys… New Grade- B+

Well that does it for day one. Please join me tomorrow for day two! Please feel free to comment with your opinion on all of these uniforms thus far. I'll say this, some more…different…things will appear tomorrow! Thanks to AUFAMILY for allowing me to do this again this year!

Nice work. Thanks for the post. Enjoyed it.

That's a ridiculously comprehensive and good rundown. Well done! :clap:/>

Part 2 is still to come!

Wow!

I stopped when I got to Arizona State. I agree with you on those helmets -- completely awesome.

Also agree that Ole Miss looks sad (all the players even look like they're slumping their shoulders -- stripes seem to come under the arms, or something).

New Georgia wordmark is confusing. Why come up with a different 'G'? I don't get it.

I think we should have an 'AU' logo on our shirt instead of the 'AUBURN'. So glad the tramp stamp is gone.

Oh, I hate that Tennessee gray uni -- but then I don't like their unis much, in any case.

Thanks for putting this together. Fun to see the sorts of decisions that get made.

Wow!

I stopped when I got to Arizona State. I agree with you on those helmets -- completely awesome.

Also agree that Ole Miss looks sad (all the players even look like they're slumping their shoulders -- stripes seem to come under the arms, or something).

New Georgia wordmark is confusing. Why come up with a different 'G'? I don't get it.

I think we should have an 'AU' logo on our shirt instead of the 'AUBURN'. So glad the tramp stamp is gone.

Oh, I hate that Tennessee gray uni -- but then I don't like their unis much, in any case.

Thanks for putting this together. Fun to see the sorts of decisions that get made.

Auburn did wear the AU button from like 98-03 or something. I'm looking at a framed #24 jersey from then, and I just wonder what it would look like with the UnderArmour UA and SEC logo. I don't think it would look terribly bad, or too far from what we've already got.

Georgia's G is no different. They just changed the wordmark and number font.

Ole Miss...I've said enough...

I typed all this up in Word, and have been working on it gradually for a while, and I can definitely tell where things went wrong in the formatting, so my apologies...

You should actually be on payroll for this. :) Quite an undertaking. I'm not really that in to uni's myself but I can appreciate what you've done. Nice job!

Archived