Accreditation

Proud Tiger

ABET, the prestigious organization that is recognized for Engineering School accreditation has recently finished it's review at Auburn. We passed with flying colors and the Engineering School has the green light for six years.

Screw SACS!!!!

right, much as i hate to rain on any man's parade, SACS isn't a lib arts only accreditation. it's for the university as a whole. without SACS approval, auburn is disqualified from receiving federal funding for research projects (also students, are given a low priority for federal based loans). since the percentage of research funded by government sources at auburn is exetremely high, losing SACS would all but cripple the engineering department and with it the school. you guys are on the hook as much or more than any other college with the university. all ABET says is that our engineering college is a well-oiled machine that produces great graduates, which we already knew.

right, much as i hate to rain on any man's parade, SACS isn't a lib arts only accreditation. it's for the university as a whole. without SACS approval, auburn is disqualified from receiving federal funding for research projects (also students, are given a low priority for federal based loans). since the percentage of research funded by government sources at auburn is exetremely high, losing SACS would all but cripple the engineering department and with it the school. you guys are on the hook as much or more than any other college with the university. all ABET says is that our engineering college is a well-oiled machine that produces great graduates, which we already knew.

123676[/snapback]

But, as it stands the SACS accreditation is MUCH more important to everyone outside of Engineering degreewise. I know it's the source of fed funding... how else could I afford to go? lol

Now... if only we could get some grads out of Wireless so that half of my college career would be accredited... (A program has to have graduates before ABET considers accrediting it.)

123676[/snapback]

Not true. SACS has no power to tell the Feds they can't give money to Auburn.

Auburn has secured $30M in multi-year funds for the new Transportation Center. Let SACS try to mess with that and see what Sen. Shelby tells them. :angry:

SACS is nothing more than a bunch of Lowder wannabees. :rolleyes:

if only that were true. we may still get building funding from government sources, but no unaccredited school qualifies for things like pell grants for students or research grants from the government. we can build buildings though! yahoo.

strey i didn't know that about a program needing graduates... what's the incentive to be the first then? what do those guys do? is the degree retroactively accredited to the holder? seems like an odd system, but then again i go to auburn, odd educational systems are right up my alley.

Strey...

Is Alabama that bad? First they make fun of us for having the Eagle and the Tigers. We aren't the cows? Is this a stupid reference to the "Cowtown?" I mean... man that's sad. :poke:

Strey...

Is Alabama that bad? First they make fun of us for having the Eagle and the Tigers. We aren't the cows? Is this a stupid reference to the "Cowtown?" I mean... man that's sad.  :poke:

123879[/snapback]

We aren't uat, but that doesn't keep 98% of this board from saying so.

UAT - The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa

Maybe you'd rather be UAB?    :(

123886[/snapback]

UA - The University of Alabama

The T in UAT is just something to make you guys feel better about yourselves.

123886[/snapback]

123890[/snapback]

UA = University of Alaska

uaa = UA-Anchorage

uaf = UA-Fairbanks

uas = UA-Southeast

UA = University of Arizona (it's located in Tucson, AZ: referring to it as uat would undoubtably cause confusion wtih the West Vance Community College version of UA.)

UA = University of Arkansas

uaf = UA-Fayetteville

uafs = UA-Fort Smith

ualr = UA-Little Rock

uam = UA-Monticello

uapb = UA-Pine Bluff

UA = University of Alabama

uab = UA-Birmingham

uah = UA-Huntsville

uat = UA-Tuscaloosa

You were saying? It has nothing to do with making us "feel better about ourselves." It has everything to do with the simple fact that uat has no monopoly on the initials, UA. uat is so much more descriptive of who & what you really are. Out west here where I live in PAC-10 country, when people use the initials UA it's automatically understood to mean the University of Arizona. Sorry to burst your bubble but you really ought to get out more & see the rest of the country. :D

In most of the country people ask where Auburn is... what state was it again? Georgia?

Say Alabama, and they think of UA. Crimson Tide.

You should get out of your hotel room and the bar in the lobby and socialize a bit more when your are on your travels.

In most of the country people ask where Auburn is... what state was it again?  Georgia? 

Say Alabama, and they think of UA.  Crimson Tide. 

You should get out of your hotel room and the bar in the lobby and socialize a bit more when your are on your travels.

124059[/snapback]

Ooooh, ... brilliant comeback. Dude, you're (note: that is a contraction that means 'you are;' try to use it in a sentence sometime -- you'll be amazed at how many people understand this concept) cracking me up with your ignorance about what "most of the country" thinks about Auburn & about uat. There is good news though: "most of the country" will be able to witness the difference between Auburn & uat Saturday afternoon. :au: WDE

123886[/snapback]

123890[/snapback]

UA = University of Alaska

uaa = UA-Anchorage

uaf = UA-Fairbanks

uas = UA-Southeast

UA = University of Arizona (it's located in Tucson, AZ: referring to it as uat would undoubtably cause confusion wtih the West Vance Community College version of UA.)

UA = University of Arkansas

uaf = UA-Fayetteville

uafs = UA-Fort Smith

ualr = UA-Little Rock

uam = UA-Monticello

uapb = UA-Pine Bluff

UA = University of Alabama

uab = UA-Birmingham

uah = UA-Huntsville

uat = UA-Tuscaloosa

You were saying? It has nothing to do with making us "feel better about ourselves." It has everything to do with the simple fact that uat has no monopoly on the initials, UA. uat is so much more descriptive of who & what you really are. Out west here where I live in PAC-10 country, when people use the initials UA it's automatically understood to mean the University of Arizona. Sorry to burst your bubble but you really ought to get out more & see the rest of the country. :D

124055[/snapback]

Burst my bubble? :lol::lol::lol: Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's the University of Alabama. Seriously though, you guys can keep saying uat if you want, just don't get your panties in a wad when a UA fan calls AU the cow college. That's all I'm getting at.

On a side note, if Auburn University-Montgomery is AUM, what would Auburn be called, because I don't want to say AU and get someone confused. Would it be AUA? Or is it AUO? :lol::lol::lol:

Tidefan 24, I would have to agree with you all the way. I personally say UA or Alabama, not UAT... and like you stated, since we Auburn does have Auburn University-Montgomery, I guess we should be called AUA instead of AU.

And I have to agree that some of you do it just because it makes you feel better... I just don't see the point.

Archived