Coaching Vacancies............

AUfan_UAgrad

PLEEZE be respectful on this forum. Remember you are talking about peoples livelihoods and families and all know that Dooley was a good ol man and has three daughters to support.

He maybe all that, it is cold business these guys are in and sometimes good people are hired by colleges for jobs they are not qualified to do. Dooley would have been better off to stay at LaTech and then try for an ACC or Big12 job. The SEC is a tough place to go and survive the competition, scandels, and stress, but the money is very good for the high risks taken.

PLEEZE be respectful on this forum. Remember you are talking about peoples livelihoods and families and all know that Dooley was a good ol man and has three daughters to support.

A good point....all of them are good people ....well with the exception of Petrino and maybe a couple others....but I digress....you are correct that many of these very decent guys are slandered right left with no opportunity to defend themselves and IMO it's somewhat cowardly for people to do this in some anonymous medium like an blog or chat board.

The coaches usually end getting this verbal abuse because a handful of half-educated 18 or 19 year olds do some dumb things on a football field under the pressure 50,000 screaming fans. On the other hand, the coaches put themselves out there in the public eye by their career choices....so it comes with the territory.

As for the coaches, If they can't take the criticism, they should be school teachers or farmers or some other profession where hardly anyone knows who is doing a good job and who is incompetent. Deciding to be a coach is not just something that happens by chance....and anyone taking a coaching job at a major university (or major HS) would have to be an idiot not to expect some grief from their idiot fans who sometimes take out all of their life's frustrations on a football coach or on some teenage football player who makes a mistake at a critical moment. It's life in the good ole USA I'm afraid.

If I had any say so at UGA, I would certainly not be on the "Fire Richt" bandwagon. As several of you have said, his record has been outstanding and I cannot name anyone right now that I think would do better. But football fans are fickle, and at a storied program like Georgia I can imagine some saying "Close but no cigar isn't good enough...we want some SEC & BCS titles!" As for the "cleanliness" of his program, yes he has avoided NCAA troubles, but they have certainly had their share of off-field arrests, scandals, and controversies. Still, I'd keep Richt. (Incidentally, does Richt have a buyout? Would not make sense to me to pay big $$$$ to get rid of one of the winningest active coaches in Div. 1 football.)

As for replacements at any of the big schools mentioned: I'm not expecting it, but Saban might be the one name some schools would pursue. Either his ego wanting to set a record of national titles at three schools, or eagerness to flee the long arm of the NCAA in T-Town, could put him on the market.

If I had any say so at UGA, I would certainly not be on the "Fire Richt" bandwagon. As several of you have said, his record has been outstanding and I cannot name anyone right now that I think would do better. But football fans are fickle, and at a storied program like Georgia I can imagine some saying "Close but no cigar isn't good enough...we want some SEC & BCS titles!" As for the "cleanliness" of his program, yes he has avoided NCAA troubles, but they have certainly had their share of off-field arrests, scandals, and controversies. Still, I'd keep Richt. (Incidentally, does Richt have a buyout? Would not make sense to me to pay big $$$$ to get rid of one of the winningest active coaches in Div. 1 football.)

The new contract significantly changed the buyout amount for both parties

http://georgia.247sports.com/Article/Mark-Richts-buyout-structure-altered-in-new-UGA-contract-76548

Richt’s new deal is a three-year extension lasting through the end of the 2016 season.

There essentially was no raise – leaving Richt’s salary at $2,811,340 -- other than the majority of his performance bonuses were doubled, increasing the max annual performance bonus he could receive from $400,000 to $800,000.

Yet one of the major changes is that the new contract lowers the buyout to be paid to Richt if he's fired after the 2012 season. From UGA's standpoint, the school would owe Richt $4.8 million for firing him after this upcoming season. That figure drops to a total of $2.4 million after the 2013 season and then would decrease $800,000 annually each of the following two years of the contract.

Meanwhile, UGA completely removed a section of the previous contract that would have required Richt to pay the university a minimum of $2 million if he chose to leave on his own.

But as it stands now, Richt could leave UGA and not pay anything, which is a contract feature that matches some other prominent head coaches, most notably Alabama’s.

Unless Richt has back to back losing seasons or gets the program in real trouble with NCAA he is staying until he wants to leave.

The fanbase in Georgia is somewhat restless but they realize Richt is a solid coach and there are no 'step in and win' candidates out there right now. Trust me, I live in GA and hear the same stuff on the radio from their fans every year.

They want what every fanbase wants, a championship. He needs one to validate his solid record over the years but he will not be fired if he doesn't win one. Firing a coach who consistantly has 10 win seasons is dumb, period.

The guy goes 10-3 as an AVERAGE season. Seriously. 10-3 is his average year. 10-3 is Richt's par. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Since Richt came to UGA, here are the records and significant stats for every team that's won an SEC title in that period:

LSU - 125-33 overall, 4 SEC titles, 5 appearances, 2 BCS titles (1 other appearance), 2 seasons with 1 or fewer losses, 2 seasons with more than 4 losses, 0 losing seasons

UGA - 118-40 overall, 2 SEC titles, 5 appearances, 0 BCS titles, 1 season with 1 or fewer losses, 2 seasons with more than 4 losses, 1 losing season

UF - 116-40 overall, 2 SEC titles, 3 appearances, 2 BCS titles, 3 seasons with 1 or fewer losses, 5 seasons with more than 4 losses, 0 losing seasons

Alabama - 111-45 overall, 2 SEC titles, 3 appearances, 3 BCS titles, 3 seasons with 1 or fewer losses, 5 seasons with more than 4 losses, 1 losing season

Auburn - 104-49 overall, 2 SEC titles, 2 appearances, 1 BCS title, 2 seasons with 1 or fewer losses, 6 seasons with more than 4 losses, 2 losing seasons

All that to say, UGA doesn't look out of place on this list. Tied for the second with 2 SEC titles. Tied for the most appearances in the SEC title game. Tied for the lowest number of "bad" seasons (5 or more losses). The only knock (and it's only a slight knock) is that they have the fewest elite years. I suppose they could have wilder mood swings (like Auburn), but I'm not sure that would actually make UGA fans happy.

If you're playing the SEC title game, you had a great year, and if you're in that game, you have a shot at not only an SEC title but also a national title. Richt has his program playing elite games on a regular basis. Eventually, that will probably lead to a break through (see: Bobby Bowden at FSU... first national title came in his 18th season).

The guy goes 10-3 as an AVERAGE season. Seriously. 10-3 is his average year. 10-3 is Richt's par. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Since Richt came to UGA, here are the records and significant stats for every team that's won an SEC title in that period:

LSU - 125-33 overall, 4 SEC titles, 5 appearances, 2 BCS titles (1 other appearance), 2 seasons with 1 or fewer losses, 2 seasons with more than 4 losses, 0 losing seasons

UGA - 118-40 overall, 2 SEC titles, 5 appearances, 0 BCS titles, 1 season with 1 or fewer losses, 2 seasons with more than 4 losses, 1 losing season

UF - 116-40 overall, 2 SEC titles, 3 appearances, 2 BCS titles, 3 seasons with 1 or fewer losses, 5 seasons with more than 4 losses, 0 losing seasons

Alabama - 111-45 overall, 2 SEC titles, 3 appearances, 3 BCS titles, 3 seasons with 1 or fewer losses, 5 seasons with more than 4 losses, 1 losing season

Auburn - 104-49 overall, 2 SEC titles, 2 appearances, 1 BCS title, 2 seasons with 1 or fewer losses, 6 seasons with more than 4 losses, 2 losing seasons

All that to say, UGA doesn't look out of place on this list. Tied for the second with 2 SEC titles. Tied for the most appearances in the SEC title game. Tied for the lowest number of "bad" seasons (5 or more losses). The only knock (and it's only a slight knock) is that they have the fewest elite years. I suppose they could have wilder mood swings (like Auburn), but I'm not sure that would actually make UGA fans happy.

If you're playing the SEC title game, you had a great year, and if you're in that game, you have a shot at not only an SEC title but also a national title. Richt has his program playing elite games on a regular basis. Eventually, that will probably lead to a break through (see: Bobby Bowden at FSU... first national title came in his 18th season).

UGA has been on the "weak" side of the SEC (East) for those years and done very well there.

What his numbers seem to point out is that UGA did not compete well when it goes up against the best in the SEC West.

UGA won the SEC East in 2002, 2003, 2005, 2011, and 2012.

They only won the SEC in 2005 with a 7-2 conference record, but lost to WVU in a 2006 Sugar bowl game played at the Georgia Dome. They did have a close game with UAT in the 2012 championship.

UGA is also 11/1 against GaTech if that means anything to the fan base.

Some could argue he's underacheived still though. In 2011 and 2012 UGA had easier schedules than South Carolina or Florida.

Richt's record against top 10 teams the last few years is bad. He couldn't win an SEC title with Matthew Stafford and he hasn't done it with Aaron Murray. When is he going to get over the hump? I'd argue Steve Spurrier has done more with less at South Carolina. He just hasn't had the favorable schedules like UGA has had.

I don't think Richt should be fired, he's a good coach but his inability to win the SEC despite having telented teams and favorable schedules shows he's never going to be an elite coach.

I think Richt is a good coach, but not a great coach. He has vastly under-achieved in regards to the amount of in-state talent that he has flowing through Georgia every year. Combine that with the fact that Florida & Tenessee have been down the past few years, and he has really nothing to show for it. That being said they are still ranked near the top 10 every year, so I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Before you get rid of a guy like MR you better be absolutely certain that you can sign up someone better.....and at this point, it would be hard to put a name to that requirement. It's much easier to replace some guy who has a few 6-7 seasons and maybe a couple minor bowls...but UGA has won a bunch of SEC East titles and played in a bowl game about every year for MR's entire time there.....and because he hasn't won an NC you are going to fire him.....don't think so.

In twelve years at UGA he is 118-40 and 67-29 in the SEC. He took over a program that was strugggggling. We can only hope Gus' has a record like that after twelve seasons. I just never have understood all of the people not giving Richt credit. He is an outstanding HC IMO.

Yeah....his team has regularly kicked out butts....so maybe we should get on the "fire Richt" bandwagon and hope they get someone that does not seem to have our number?

Yes he has. Great idea!

I'm sold.

Fire Richt!!! :uga: http://firemarkricht.net/

Be sure to vote! ;)

Forget MSU as well. That's not happening. They aren't paying Mullen's buyout, and frankly, they're too level-headed (or cynical or beaten-down... whatever word you want) to boot a guy after one bad season (that might not even end up that bad).

IMO he has not done anything spectacular but they have remember they are Miss St...he is about as good as they gonna get.

Side note - I think Freeze ends up at Texas....especially if he finishes top 3 SEC West.

Muschamp ain't leaving UF.

Saban ain't leaving his dictatorship in West Vance.

Gus is ours.

UGA will not give away Richt that easy.

BP - too risky but u never know.

Les - got a good thing at LSU.

Gary Patterson - I could see this.

I know if I was Dodds I would be dialing Freeze agent up. If he is really as good as a recruiter as last year ..combine that with his system and Texas recruiting...good fit imo

Side note - I think Freeze ends up at Texas....especially if he finishes top 3 SEC West.

Muschamp ain't leaving UF.

Saban ain't leaving his dictatorship in West Vance.

Gus is ours.

UGA will not give away Richt that easy.

BP - too risky but u never know.

Les - got a good thing at LSU.

Gary Patterson - I could see this.

I know if I was Dodds I would be dialing Freeze agent up. If he is really as good as a recruiter as last year ..combine that with his system and Texas recruiting...good fit imo

Dodds will be gone before Mack Brown IMO.

A good point....all of them are good people ....well with the exception of Petrino and maybe a couple others....but I digress....you are correct that many of these very decent guys are slandered right left with no opportunity to defend themselves and IMO it's somewhat cowardly for people to do this in some anonymous medium like an blog or chat board.

The coaches usually end getting this verbal abuse because a handful of half-educated 18 or 19 year olds do some dumb things on a football field under the pressure 50,000 screaming fans. On the other hand, the coaches put themselves out there in the public eye by their career choices....so it comes with the territory.

As for the coaches, If they can't take the criticism, they should be school teachers or farmers or some other profession where hardly anyone knows who is doing a good job and who is incompetent. Deciding to be a coach is not just something that happens by chance....and anyone taking a coaching job at a major university (or major HS) would have to be an idiot not to expect some grief from their idiot fans who sometimes take out all of their life's frustrations on a football coach or on some teenage football player who makes a mistake at a critical moment. It's life in the good ole USA I'm afraid.

When was the last time that you and your family were truly hungry? Your belly full? I'd say that you know that farmers are doing a good job!

Archived