2014 4* S C.J. Hampton (Ole Miss signee)

ellitor

Free article on CJ after his Auburn visit

There is no doubt Auburn is hoping to add an upper echelon defensive back in the 2014 class, and the Tigers had one of the best in the country on campus Saturday.

Top247 safety C.J. Hampton (Meridian, Miss./Meridian) has wanted to take in a game on the Plains for some time now, so it just so happens his first was against Ole Miss, the school the 6-foot-1, 195-pound senior has been committed to since his sophomore season.

“We always said we wanted to go check out the campus at Auburn, so me, my dad and my defensive back coach went to our first Auburn game Saturday,” Hampton said.

While on campus, the No. 2 prospect in Mississippi was able to spend time with the Auburn coaching staff.

“I got to hang out with Gus Malzahn and around the school, which is a very nice campus,” Hampton said. “The atmosphere was pretty good also. “

The Auburn staff made sure to fill Hampton in on the need for help in the secondary in this class.

“I spoke to Melvin Smith for a while, and I remember him from when he recruited me as a freshman when he was at Mississippi State,” Hampton said. I also spoke to Coach Charlie Harbison, Coach Ellis Johnsonand Gus Malzahn. They are all great guys who have been in the Southeast for forever. Coach Ellis Johnsonand Coach Harbison both coached my coach in college, so it was good to see what it would be like playing for them.”

The message to the four-star safety was clear: the opportunity to play early and get better is right here.

“They were telling me Auburn is where I should be and showing me how they would develop me just like they did with Dexter McCleon,” Miller said. “You have to respect that and they definitely have me interested just because of the player my coach became. They told me I could come right in and play right away, but so has Ole Miss.””

Auburn has targeted Hampton to play free safety and be a difference maker on the field.

“They are looking at me for free safety, and Ellis Johnson and Coach McCleon will put me in a position to make plays. Anything can happen but it looks like I will make another trip to Auburn."

This weekend, Hampton will take his first official to Ole Miss, followed by another in December/

Ole Miss official this weekend. Miami in December”

With all the 247 gurus picking him to uat is he a extremely soft ole miss commit?

Most believe so.

I mean the tone of that interview sounds amazing for us. I love the fact that his coach was coached by our coaches. I also love the fact that he got to see a 3-9 defense last year, return an INT for a TD against a great offensive team. I think we have a bigger chance to get him than you guys think. Just my opinion though.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw last night he had a bad prior visit with us. Wonder if we get another chance with this guy.

He tweeted we would but I am not sure I am buying it.

Saw last night he had a bad prior visit with us. Wonder if we get another chance with this guy.

Any word on why the visit was bad or was he lost to UA from the start?

Any word on why the visit was bad or was he lost to UA from the start?

It's premium right now so I can't say.

I don't see us in it with him. Good player just got lost in bright lights of T'town. For the love of God I don't get it sometimes. Que sera, sera...

• 1 month later...

Hampton decommited from ole miss and will pick friday. Very possibly alabama's replacement for hootie Jones. It is on Al.com and espn

Huge loss for Ole Miss. Nothing impact for Auburn.

Um, what I have read is still Ole Miss, and many think he's recruiting Hootie Jones there.......

You may be correct, but I have to wonder why would he decommit from Ole Miss just to re-commit 3 days later? I wonder if there's some correlation between Jones' decommittment from the Turd and Hampton's decommittment from Ole Miss, since there has been a lot of speculation on these threads that Hampton was probably going to flip to the Turd sooner or later.

Interesting question. If they are a package deal and both schools would obviously take both of them, why would they both decommit? The bammers are accusing the OM boosters of offering Hootie benefits. Maybe the REC counter-offered with matching suits and identical Dodge Chargers.

Archived