Coach Tubs

selias

Little known fact about Tubs, when he was at Ole Miss, he was a main reason that the culture of the old racist south was changed, like removing the confederate flags and such, because he told the president of Ole Miss at the time,

"We can't get the players here, because I can't recruit against that flag."

CTT had a number of great wins while he was a coach at AU. He had an intense defense and his players gave him much respect. I think the 2006 LSU game best exemplifies the Coach Tubs I want to remember. Final score 7-3. It was the hardest hitting game I have ever seen! In today's SEC, we would never see a game like that. Coach made a poor choice in '08 when he tried Franklin as his OC. I have always wondered how different things might have been had he hired that new OC From Tulsa instead of getting the one from Troy. Maybe in a parallel universe? Oh well.

I've go mixed emotions.

Yes, he gave us some very good teams.

Beat many a ranked team, but guaranteed to lay an egg once a year.

And the AD tried to screw with him with Flight Gate.

He have us a MNC team that got screwed.

But, he made some horrible decisions that kept us from being the dominating team of the decade.

We had Nall ball and a duck hunting trip in the middle of recruiting season that landed him a guaranteed contract.

We had the Barbeque Boys who, I felt, often made things more difficult and the hiring of Franklin leading to the ultimate debacle on the Plains.

It appeared he quit his last year and took that nice big guaranteed contract to the house.

Now I hear this about the TTU recruits. I am terribly disappointed, but not truly surprised.

This is the most F & B post on this subject : the good, the bad & the ugly.

Tubs did plenty good for Auburn, but other than 2004 our program under Tubs fit in the category of "ALMOST FAMOUS". Much of that comes down to what AUGoo highlights above. I always felt if Tubs had the same expectations and accountability for his O staff that he had for his D staff Auburn would have been in the NC mix consistently. I think Tubs would make a solid AD, but given the cash he has and is making I am not sure he would have a passion for that type job.

War Eagle !

Little known fact about Tubs, when he was at Ole Miss, he was a main reason that the culture of the old racist south was changed, like removing the confederate flags and such, because he told the president of Ole Miss at the time,

"We can't get the players here, because I can't recruit against that flag."

There was resistance from the fans on that. I was living in Memphis at the time which is very close to Oxford and covers Ole Miss closely in the Commercial Appeal. Tubs made a statement about the Rebel Flags hurting the recruiting and at the very next game there were more flags than ever being waved. Eventually they got the message and changed but I always thought that event was the impetus for his eventual departure.

CTT had a number of great wins while he was a coach at AU. He had an intense defense and his players gave him much respect. I think the 2006 LSU game best exemplifies the Coach Tubs I want to remember. Final score 7-3. It was the hardest hitting game I have ever seen! In today's SEC, we would never see a game like that. Coach made a poor choice in '08 when he tried Franklin as his OC. I have always wondered how different things might have been had he hired that new OC From Tulsa instead of getting the one from Troy. Maybe in a parallel universe? Oh well.

His biggest problem with the hiring of TF was allowing the other coaches to undermine him. He did not step and take control of the situation as the hc.

Every Auburn fan owes that man a huge debt of gratitude.

I personally hope he is our next AD

What?????........... Welll............... Hmmmmm?

I wish he was our current AD!

love coach Tubs... All for this... As long as he never had a say-so in the hiring of an Offensive Coordinator!

Tommy-Tuberville-Texas-Tech-Coach-Slaps-Other-Coach.gif

In all seriousness, I'm grateful for the time Tubs gave to us. Always seemed classy and representative of the Auburn Tigers. Wish him well wherever he may coach, except versus the obvious.

His biggest problem with the hiring of TF was allowing the other coaches to undermine him. He did not step and take control of the situation as the hc.

I have heard rumors that his private life was out of control (no fault of his). He lost it at the end, but was a great coach, but a better man. I will always be a fan of TT.

I have heard rumors that his private life was out of control (no fault of his). He lost it at the end, but was a great coach, but a better man. I will always be a fan of TT.

So why do you find it necessary to post crap like "I HEARD rumors that...." How would you like it if you were the subject of such rumors?

Archived