Third Quarter Offense

Richard78

I was just reading that after we lead FSU 21-10 at the half and arguably had a chance to put them away, we came out in the third and had 12 plays for 45 yards and 2 first downs. Looking at the season stats, I found that we scored more than 7 points in the third only twice (W. Carolina 14, MO 17). Is there a reason for the low third quarter scoring? It's the opposite of what I would expect with Malzahn's ability to make adjustments.

I'm glad somebody else noticed this. I thought the same thing after the nc but didn't look for any stats. I don't have any theories though. Hope somebody does! Interesting.

I've noticed the same. It looks more like a lack of execution most of the time. Also see some plays that make me wonder...CAP in the wildcat (I think that was in the BCSCG)...everybody knew he was going to run the ball without the benefit of the read option. Once we start executing like the machine that I think Gus wants, we will hang 50+ on most everyone we play!

I was just reading that after we lead FSU 21-10 at the half and arguably had a chance to put them away, we came out in the third and had 12 plays for 45 yards and 2 first downs. Looking at the season stats, I found that we scored more than 7 points in the third only twice (W. Carolina 14, MO 17). Is there a reason for the low third quarter scoring? It's the opposite of what I would expect with Malzahn's ability to make adjustments.

Sometimes our lull was in the 3rd quarter, and sometimes it was in the 2nd. However, it seemed like we invariably had one in almost every game this season. There could be several reasons behind it. Could be a quarter of bad execution and mistakes, or a few series where Gus was trying something different to break tendencies or set up for later, or the other team made adjustments that we had to find a way to counter, or that they were simply outplayed during that period. Could be a combination of all of them. Considering that this team was a work in progress throughout the season, consistency was often one of its weaknesses.

I think we've had some issues with playing with a lead to be completely honest. Gus gets kind of caught between keeping the pedal down and trying to use up more clock and instead we do some weird gadget plays and stuff like that don't work as well. I love Gus, and have been a big fan of his since he was at Arkansas even, but I think this is one thing I'd like to see him improve upon. As our defense improves and gets deeper though, it won't be as big of an issue because we can afford to keep the pedal down later in games to mitigate the risk of coming off the field on a 3 and out.

"Gus gets kind of caught between keeping the pedal down and trying to use up more clock and instead we do some weird gadget plays and stuff like that don't work as well."

Really? Gadget plays? Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about here. You ever considered the other team might have been part of the reason some of Gus' plays didn't work - OR - more importantly, how in some cases it was poor play on our players' part? I dont think Gus told Greg Robinson to hold that surely squelched a scoring drive in the 3rd against FSU..nor do i think Gus instructed NM to throw into triple coverage that stopped another scoring opportunity. But again....what gadget plays are you talking about? This was NOT the 2009 Auburn team. Most of Auburn's plays were runs between the tackles.

I think it was in the 3rd when we ran CAP in the Wildcat for the first time for a loss that became a 3 and out. If CAP breaks it for a long gain then it is brilliant, if not then it can be second guessed. Oh well. Such is the life of being the play caller.

The only thing I saw I really didn't like was it looked like there were 2 plays in the same drive where NM did not read the end. He kept it on one play where he should have handed it off and vice versa on the next play. It did kind of look like we really didn't "read" but just went with the call. I think Pruitt eluded to such in an article I read.

The only thing I saw I really didn't like was it looked like there were 2 plays in the same drive where NM did not read the end. He kept it on one play where he should have handed it off and vice versa on the next play. It did kind of look like we really didn't "read" but just went with the call. I think Pruitt eluded to such in an article I read.

Oh yeah I believe alot of it was predetermined.

Oh yeah I believe alot of it was predetermined.

I sure hope it was. Call me crazy but, I'd consider it a bit risky to give any QB too much lattitude n a game of the magnitude of a BCS NCG.

Where was the jet sweep? I remember 1 late to Louis for a loss. Did Corey Grant play?

I think FSU was determined to not let the jet sweep hurt them. The read was not there. FSU crashed the safeties, hence the TD to Ray and the should have been a TD to Louis. I think both of these came off jet sweep play action.

Where was the jet sweep? I remember 1 late to Louis for a loss. Did Corey Grant play?

I think FSU was determined to not let the jet sweep hurt them. The read was not there. FSU crashed the safeties, hence the TD to Ray and the should have been a TD to Louis. I think both of these came off jet sweep play action.

It became clear to me early on that FSU's plan was to take away the QB and shut down the edges and they pretty muc did.

It became clear to me early on that FSU's plan was to take away the QB and shut down the edges and they pretty muc did.

Rod and Stan said the same thing. They mentioned several times that FSU was blitzing their corners to stop the speed sweep and outside runs.

Our 3rd quarter numbers for the BCS game would have looked much better if GR does not get called for that weak holding call. That took away a first down that put us in the red zone.

The FSU did a pretty good job on the perimeter for the most part. Their speed was a major factor in not calling the sweep IMO

Let's also give our opponents just a tiny bit of credit, okay? FSU has a lot of talent and Pruitt is a good defensive coordinator. FSU made adjustments on defense at halftime, as opponents often do. Auburn looks for strategies to counter the adjustments they've made. Some of those work, some don't, and perhaps it takes a few series to accomplish that.

Auburn was passing a lot more in the FSU game -- a strategy going into the game. I think that Auburn's more balanced attack in the first half created problems for the FSU defense in the first half, enabling Auburn to get out to a good lead. But the passing game was not (this year) Auburn's strength. I expect that to change next year.

I agree with others as well. FSU decided to take away NM, forcing Auburn to the inside where their NFL-bound DL and LB group could try to cope with TM. When the passing attack is working, it exploits the emphasis on stopping NM on the edges and the outside game.

FSU had a good defensive strategy and they had a lot of talent on D. Auburn still hung 450 yards of offense on them. Just couldn't keep them out of the end zone in the 4th quarter. This happened against UGA and Bama as well. They made adjustments on offense that enabled them to score in the second half, and made adjustments on defense that slowed down the Auburn offense.

With a better passing attack next year, Auburn should have better options for countering the second half adjustments defenses make. And I hope the Auburn defense improves next season as well. Auburn's schedule is going to be really tough.

I think we've had some issues with playing with a lead to be completely honest. Gus gets kind of caught between keeping the pedal down and trying to use up more clock and instead we do some weird gadget plays and stuff like that don't work as well. I love Gus, and have been a big fan of his since he was at Arkansas even, but I think this is one thing I'd like to see him improve upon. As our defense improves and gets deeper though, it won't be as big of an issue because we can afford to keep the pedal down later in games to mitigate the risk of coming off the field on a 3 and out.

100% agree with that statement. I give our oppenents credit for making the adjustment they need to but it wasn't only the BCSNCG where we've been really shaky in the 3rd quarter but i believe as the defense proves it will not be much of an issue. Just like the players...Gus is always learning too. He's not perfect and i'm sure we'll be more agressive next season in the 3rd quarter.

Archived