Baseball at Kentucky - game 3

Well darn.....but like all season, just wasted too many scoring opportunities.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called it when it happened. Just an absolutely, horrible break. We would have won today had Thompson not gotten injured in the 5th or we would have won the series 2 of 3 had we kept our normal rotation of Ortman and Thompson starting Friday and Saturday respectively.

Sunny better not be so optimistic next year. He thought we could go to the WS this year and w aren't even gong to the SEC tourney. Auburn does better when expectations aren't so high.

awesome job Tella hats off to the kid.....terrible job Galloway.....coaching lost the series...Friday night circus of pitchers.....delays in game with trips to mound...talking to hitters..ect....bringing Tella into pitch in a very important SEC game was a desperate move by a very desperate coach...but to leave him in for 3 innings when he has pitched 1/3 of an inning all year??? he completely setup the loss and took AU possibly out of the SEC tourney..pretty sad......leave your rotation alone and mix in relief pitching as who is hot and cold..ect.....bring a centerfielder into pitch? wow...again Tella did all u could ask of him...this isn't the Big Ten......or little league..u are up with the big boys....please coach as you have a clue.....hell leave your rotation alone..and blame on lack of talent..like u are hinted about in the media..at least AU doesn't look so desperate

awesome job Tella hats off to the kid.....terrible job Galloway.....coaching lost the series...Friday night circus of pitchers.....delays in game with trips to mound...talking to hitters..ect....bringing Tella into pitch in a very important SEC game was a desperate move by a very desperate coach...but to leave him in for 3 innings when he has pitched 1/3 of an inning all year??? he completely setup the loss and took AU possibly out of the SEC tourney..pretty sad......leave your rotation alone and mix in relief pitching as who is hot and cold..ect.....bring a centerfielder into pitch? wow...again Tella did all u could ask of him...this isn't the Big Ten......or little league..u are up with the big boys....please coach as you have a clue.....hell leave your rotation alone..and blame on lack of talent..like u are hinted about in the media..at least AU doesn't look so desperate

Leaving Tella in for the duration was not a bad move. The rest of the pen is pretty bad. He really did not have a choice there.

And FTR I am not saying I would do it but I see the reasoning in the rotation changes. Put our #1 versus their #2 and our #2 versus their #3. It would have worked had Thompson not had the horrible luck of a line drive hitting his foot in the 5 thus knocking him out in the 6th.

Leaving Tella in for the duration was not a bad move. The rest of the pen is pretty bad. He really did not have a choice there.

And FTR I am not saying I would do it but I see the reasoning in the rotation changes. Put our #1 versus their #2 and our #2 versus their #3. It would have worked had Thompson not had the horrible luck of a line drive hitting his foot in the 5 thus knocking him out in the 6th.

I sure don't get the complaints about a desperate coach....shoot there is no doubt that he's grasping at straws trying to find a way to win some games...but what better choice is he overlooking at this point? Thompson gets hurt and he comes out with a big lead so CSG goes with a guy that pitched pretty well on Friday evening and all of sudden the guy lets a big lead get away in a matter of minutes....aided by another untimely error in the infield. And of course, we left a raft of players on base in the late innings and could not put the ball in play with the bases loaded.

IMO, Tella did a great job and there was absolutely NOBODY that I would have had any more confidence in at that point.

I've got my issues with Sunny but to be honest, this team doesn't have much talent....good guys, play hard, etc, etc....but too many are just not SEC quality players....whether people want to admit it or not. Sorry but that's the way I see it. :dunno:

It's going to take two more recruiting classes before our talent level can be brought up to average SEC talent. In spite of that, it's pretty safe to assume that if Thompson doesn't get injured today we win this series.

This team is about 2-3 strong bats away from being really good and about 2-3 strong arms away from contending for the conference title. I've seen some fight instilled in this team that will serve them well in the years to come. Some times you just don't have enough to win. Today was one of those days.

2012: 31-28

2013 33-23

this year: 27-25

27-25....

Some of that can be attributed to some bad coaching decisions too. It's not all on the team, or their talent level. CSG maybe underestimated the SEC and I'm pretty sure he did not know his team all that well.

I expect better things next season. He can recruit what he needs, hopefully, and build on the foundation of the freshmen he had this season. He can work on pitching. If he's as good as advertised, the team should be significantly improved.

this team doesn't have much talent.

The 9 conference losses by 1 or 2 runs or in extras disagrees with that statement. If we had even a little better execution in those game we could be 19-8 and leading the SEC West. The only place where there is a true talent deficiency is in the bull pen.

this team doesn't have much talent.

The 9 conference losses by 1 or 2 runs or in extras disagrees with that statement. If we had even a little better execution in those game we could be 19-8 and leading the SEC West. The only place where there is a true talent deficiency is in the bull pen.

I suggest we also lack hitting talent...beyond the top 4 hitters...and we lack power hitting and we lack a good defense. JMO and maybe it is just interpretation but with better talent, we would have won most of those 1 run games. Maybe it's talent or maybe it is skill level but the W-L is what ultimately tells the story.

I think AU is far more than just a few bullpen players away from being a solid SEC team considering that we will be losing 4 of our 5 best pitchers and most of our hitting when the seniors are gone. This is not just a matter of filling in a few pieces here and there for next season. As Mikey noted, we need a couple years of outstanding recruiting to become a factor in the SEC.

2012: 31-28

2013 33-23

this year: 27-25

27-25....

Some of that can be attributed to some bad coaching decisions too. It's not all on the team, or their talent level. CSG maybe underestimated the SEC and I'm pretty sure he did not know his team all that well.

I expect better things next season. He can recruit what he needs, hopefully, and build on the foundation of the freshmen he had this season. He can work on pitching. If he's as good as advertised, the team should be significantly improved.

Imagine how good Ryan Tella would be if he had been pitching the last three years? Hate that he's a senior.

Archived