Huntsville Times/Paul Gattis

Proud Tiger

Paul Gattis finally acknowleged his vote in the AP poll and gave a feeble rationale for why he voted Auburn #3. Don't read it unless you want to be really mad. I would like to get in the ring with this prick in a last man standing bout. But since I can't, I have cancelled ny subscription to the Huntsville Times after many, many years. The link is:

www.al.com

Click on "Other Stories" under Huntsville Times sports.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Well, you said not to read it unless we wantd to get mad.

That was insulting to read. That guy gave no argument except "I thought they wuz the best team in August, so they must be the best team now."

All the ones who voted the same top two throughout the year should be called on teh carpet. If you were wrong about the numbers 3-25 ( I am sure no one has the same teams in these slots), don't you think you could be wrong about those two?

PT, I have not supported your position about cancelling your subscription...until now. Gattis should be gone.

PT, I have not supported your position about cancelling your subscription...until now.  Gattis should be gone.

129640[/snapback]

Heck you can read the Times on line now anyhow so whay pay the jerks to have it delivered. Not only is the Gattis article insulting but:

--front page on Saturday, the day of the SECC, they had a very negative article about the SACS crap with Auburn

--Sunday they had an article with Auburn's resident chief liberal and trouble maker (Wayne Flynt) airing how bad he wanted out of Auburn but was waiting for his retirement money.

I hope every Auburn person who suscribes to the Times will cancel but if you do so be sure to send the e-mail to Bob Ludwig, Melionda Gorham, John Pruitt and Gattis.

I think he made some very good points. Now, personally I think AU deserves to be either #1 or #2, but it is his full right to think USC and OU are ahead of Auburn. Would it be ethical for him to vote Auburn #1 simply because they are in his home state? All three teams (four if you want to count Utah) have a legitimate claim in playing for the NC. Would I be p'od if Alabama were in the same spot Auburn is? You dang right I would be, and you guys have every right to be also, but I don't think you should take it out on Paul Gattis. It's just the way this screwed up BCS system is set up. Personally, I liked the old bowl system better. If we're not going to have a playoff of some type, at least the old bowl system gives more than 2 teams a shot at the NC.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Personally, I liked the old bowl system better. If we're not going to have a playoff of some type, at least the old bowl system gives more than 2 teams a shot at the NC.

129674[/snapback]

Finally, someone who agrees with me, even if it is a Bama fan.

Everyone is saying, "Well, the BCS isn't perfect, but it's better than what we had." That is bull$%^*. ^^&*(!@#$%^ing bull$%^&. The old bowl system would be:

Orange - Oklahoma vs. Cal

Sugar - Auburn vs. Texas

Rose - USC vs. Michigan

Fiesta - Utah vs. Boise State

That way, every undefeated team had a chance to state their case against a quality opponent.

The bowl system isn't ever going to work to perfection. The BCS will never work to perfection. A playoff will never happen in the next ten years.

Get used to someone being left out next year also. Just hope it isn't Auburn...

bo, i think anyone is entitled to their opinion on which team is best, second and third. the problem with gattis is that he doesn't give a valid REASON or even linear REASONING as to WHY a man in the same state, that covers the same conference would vote the way he has. if he thinks the sec sucks, come out and say the sec sucks. he'd never do that b/c then bama fans and auburn fans would be pissed at him; plus i don't think he really believes that. so basically, he's saying "i gave this no real thought. i put them one and two at the start of the season based on completely trivial, biased opinions that were given to me by athlon, sporting news, and other media outlets and low and behold they never lost. so they MUST BE the best two teams." that's the most ignorant logic a person could ever have. so if you assume gattis isn't a totally ignorant (i'll give him the benefit of the doubt here), then he must have some other motive for his vote. i for one honestly believe that a bama graduate/beat writer does b/c he doesn't like auburn. and that's something i have to assume since he won't say the sec is weak and won't give a reason for his voting. he's a bama homer, and i hope auburn fans get him fired.

It was perfectly all right for him to state his votes and his rationale for them.

It revealed his character, however, to P&M about Auburn fans' e-mails/communications and get nasty and vindictive.

One questions his motives in stooping so low--why bother to even comment? What was his purpose?

I think he made some very good points. Now, personally I think AU deserves to be either #1 or #2, but it is his full right to think USC and OU are ahead of Auburn. Would it be ethical for him to vote Auburn #1 simply because they are in his home state? All three teams (four if you want to count Utah) have a legitimate claim in playing for the NC. Would I be p'od if Alabama were in the same spot Auburn is? You dang right I would be, and you guys have every right to be also, but I don't think you should take it out on Paul Gattis. It's just the way this screwed up BCS system is set up. Personally, I liked the old bowl system better. If we're not going to have a playoff of some type, at least the old bowl system gives more than 2 teams a shot at the NC.

129674[/snapback]

If he were a nuetral non-bammerboob, then his reasoning might have a point. But the bottom line is he IS a bammerboob and could not bring himself to vote for AU. He should have his vote taken away.

Where is Phillip Marshall? Doesn't he write for that paper. he has always been an Auburn supporter

129662[/snapback]

Marshall is the Auburn beat writer for the Times.

Bo, you know if Bama was in the same boat then he would be run out of Huntsville. He simply voted AU 3rd for one reason. He is the Bama beat writer. Not ONE writer from the Big 12 voted OU 3rd.

129674[/snapback]

Bo, I never suggested he change his vote, just give the rationale. I don't even quibble with his rationale just the pissy attitude with which he finally gave it. What you maybe don't know is:

--he was the bama beat writer for the Decatur Daily and had a reputation of disliking Auburn very much. This creates a perception problem for him, right or wrong.

--he didn't even tell the paper he was a voter until it came out in the B'ham News. Why not? He told me his being a voter had nothing to do with him working for the Times so I guess the AP recognizes him as a nationally known football expert.

--he only came out with his rationale today because The Editor, Melinda Graham, "asked" him to do so( Melinda told me that in an e-mail).

If I were him, and the situation developed as it did, I would have involved some other people to remove any perception problem. But his ego is too huge to do that.

And if I thought for a minute that all the voters were pure and didn't support their regions (unless it jst a clear cut case) then I would feel better.

let me just ask...in all honesty, if it were bama in this situation and the Auburn beat writer for the Tuscaloosa paper was voting bama #3 would you be defending his opinion?

let me just ask...in all honesty, if it were bama in this situation and the Auburn beat writer for the Tuscaloosa paper was voting bama #3 would you be defending his opinion?

129752[/snapback]

The Tuscaloosa News has an Auburn beat writer :blink: He needs to be fired just on principal. ;):big:

Seriously though, I didn't know the Decatur News part. If he is voting that way just because he is an Alabama fan then that is very wrong.

129752[/snapback]

The Tuscaloosa News has an Auburn beat writer :blink: He needs to be fired just on principal. ;):big:

Seriously though, I didn't know the Decatur News part. If he is voting that way just because he is an Alabama fan then that is very wrong.

129760[/snapback]

Please take note I never said he voted that way because he was a bama fan. I said people could get that perception, particularly when he tried to hide the fact he was even voting.

Dang, I would rather live between BG and War Tim than be the Auburn beat writer for the Tuscaloosa news :):)

For you people that live in Hunstville, what has Phillip Marshall had to say about all this. Surely, if he got the AP vote, Auburn would not be #3. The problem that I have with him is he is the only sports writer from the state of the Top 3 that has his state school #3. That is bias in my opinion.

His explanation in today's Huntsville paper explains one thing, Gattis is a pompous azz, whose bias is pandering to the Bamalosers in the area.

Complaining to the Huntsville Times will do little good, BUT complaining to the major advertisers in the Times might. This clown needs to be blackballed in the state and forced to look elsewhere...... maybe Alaska...... for a new job.

No use pounding on an AP voter, we got very few votes from our SEC coaches. Houston Nutt was one vote and Joe Pa at Penn State was the other that are on the record. He voted all three teams No. 1. After last year when Tubbs made some calls to help Saben, I hope he voted like wise. Its nobody's fault, just a faulty system that is totally based on people's opinions. Not much different than in the past. Most voters are simply uninformed and coaches have an agenda with any team in their league. Claim as many NC as you want, they are simply not worth the paper they are written on. Until the systems requires one to win it on the field, I'll take 13-0 and people can think what they want. Well have won five games against teams with 9+ wins. Nobody else can make that claim. USC and OU can add their wins together and not equal that total.

Archived