We've got the Pigs right where we want them.

AUenginerd

Guess I'm more nervous about this game than most here, but that's just my nature. Ark's run game does have me worried, along with our propensity to start the season slowly. If we try some tricky stuff early and have some 3-and-outs while they play keep away running the ball 5 yards a pop, it could get very interesting. I'm thinking we beat them by 10, with a TD late in the 4th to put it out of reach. This one feels like a Miss State type game to me.

I'm nervous too. This is a game we can lose if we don't bring our best.

I don't see Garrett at Star being any sort of improvement over Therezie. Maybe he'll be as good as RT was at the beginning of last season, maybe not, but he certainly won't be as good as RT was at the end of last year. He doesn't have the experience.

Lawson, Kozan, Holsey, Therezie are known to be out and who knows how many others? Yes, this could be a blowout in Auburn's favor but it could also be a loss.

Lol.

And that's funny how?

I expect to win the game, but it's a bit too soon for us to get this arrogant. Let's at least wait until we string together a few season of 10+ wins.

This time last year we were expecting to waltz through Washington State. How'd that turn out?

(And please spare me the analysis of how different Arkansas and this year is. If we don't play like we mean it, we can get beat.)

Have you ever seen a game coached by Malzan that didn't play like the meant it? He will not let them play without purpose. Don't worry.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess I'm more nervous about this game than most here, but that's just my nature. Ark's run game does have me worried, along with our propensity to start the season slowly. If we try some tricky stuff early and have some 3-and-outs while they play keep away running the ball 5 yards a pop, it could get very interesting. I'm thinking we beat them by 10, with a TD late in the 4th to put it out of reach. This one feels like a Miss State type game to me.

I don't see Garrett at Star being any sort of improvement over Therezie. Maybe he'll be as good as RT was at the beginning of last season, maybe not, but he certainly won't be as good as RT was at the end of last year. He doesn't have the experience.

Lawson, Kozan, Holsey, Therezie are known to be out and who knows how many others? Yes, this could be a blowout in Auburn's favor but it could also be a loss.

Is Holsey definitely out for this game?

Lol.

And that's funny how?

I expect to win the game, but it's a bit too soon for us to get this arrogant. Let's at least wait until we string together a few season of 10+ wins.

This time last year we were expecting to waltz through Washington State. How'd that turn out?

(And please spare me the analysis of how different Arkansas and this year is. If we don't play like we mean it, we can get beat.)

This. What's funny pee pants?

Doom and gloom is funny to me.

Lol.

And that's funny how?

This. What's funny pee pants?

Doom and gloom is funny to me.

Mmmmmkay

Truth be told, that really is the way to slow Malzahn's offense...the problem is that the discipline has to be there, consistently, play after play. Perhaps even more important is the intensity level necessary to maintain that discipline, and to have to be ready for the quick snap every time as well as sometime say in focus all the way until the play clock runs down to 1.

From there, all it takes is one breakdown in coverage, one misread from a linebacker, and six points have been added to the board. THAT is what AuburnFast means.

Coaches can preach it all they want, but when rubber meets road, you've got to have depth, you've got to run perfect substitution patterns (which gives the game a hockey-ish feel), and you've gotta be in great shape both mentally and physically. When that happens, you can match up with Gus's offense. That's when the game moves from checkers to chess.

I don't see Bielema having the capacity to win either contest with Malzahn. The only way Arkansas wins is if we come out completely flat, they get a big motivation swinging play, and then they spot themselves enough going into halftime that we aren't able to catch them in the second half. I put the odds of that happening at about 60 to 1 (or, well, that's my generous number, anyway). They'll come out fired up, to be sure. They might even make a game of it for the first half, and I kinda hope they do, actually...the only way I see their season going well at all is if they can keep from being beaten down right out of the gates, and I want to keep Bielema in Fayetteville as long as possible.

Now, let me reiterate that we CAN still lose this game. We aren't playing LA-Monroe, after all. But so long as we show up ready to strap 'em on, then the only question there will be is if we cover the spread or not.

Chimes you're not the only one that's nervous. I still haven't forgotten taking my 10 and 8 year old daughters to their first Auburn game against Arkansas in 2002. We were winning 17-14 just before halftime when I went to the concession stands. I heard a couple of roars from the crowd and when I came back we were down 17-24. I asked some folks around me what had happened and they shook their heads saying "You don't wanna know". It ended up being a very long afternoon as the Pigs put more than 400 rushing yards on us.

I'm proud to say that despite that stomp down that my older daughter insisted on staying until after the very last snap in a nearly empty Jordan-Hare and that she is now in her senior year at AU.

The heat and humidity will take an equal toll on both teams. I am more worried about our Defenses abilty to outlast Arkansas's offiense.

Our Defense may be on the field for most of the game. Why? Because our offense is going to be so explosive, I look for us to score a average of every ten plays over the course of the game.

I'm thinking we up our average plays per game from last year ... Gus has publicly said in the past he shot for 85. I think the sec may have softened that a touch ... Looking for 80 per game starting with the first. Our DL rotation and improved LB play works well enough (along with a couple turnovers by army).

So your score per ten ... Means we wallop them 56 - 28 ... But give up some points via the run game

Scores do not necessary mean TDs, but if we average a 60% TDs in the red zone, I would expect something like 80/10=8. times we score. Take 60% as TDs, and 40% as FG

5 TDs=35 points

3 FG = points 9

Total= 44 points.

44 to 28 sounds about right (if the piggies can get that many points)

I don't know about you, but I was not expecting any waltzing against WSU. There was reason for optimism, and I was expecting a victory. That turned out pretty well. Anybody expecting more was pumping sunshine.

There is much more reason for optimism this year. Arkansas should be better than last year, but we should too. Vegas has us a 3 TD favorite, so it is not just AU fans expecting a blowout. We could lose this game, if we are -5 in turnover margin.

Yeah, that's my point. I was too. But were you expecting we'd need a late game onside kick to pull it off? Had we not recovered that kick, game over IMO. And wasn't that a freshman QB we were up against?

I essentially agree with your second paragraph, although it could happen with more like -2 or -3 in turnover margin.

Chimes you're not the only one that's nervous. I still haven't forgotten taking my 10 and 8 year old daughters to their first Auburn game against Arkansas in 2002. We were winning 17-14 just before halftime when I went to the concession stands. I heard a couple of roars from the crowd and when I came back we were down 17-24. I asked some folks around me what had happened and they shook their heads saying "You don't wanna know". It ended up being a very long afternoon as the Pigs put more than 400 rushing yards on us.

I'm proud to say that despite that stomp down that my older daughter insisted on staying until after the very last snap in a nearly empty Jordan-Hare and that she is now in her senior year at AU.

LOL! Good for her, and you.

I can remember sitting until the bitter end at a couple of AU/AL games in Birmingham. It was raining so hard during one of them there were Tornado warnings in the area.

I really appreciate my father for humoring me.

The heat and humidity will take an equal toll on both teams. I am more worried about our Defenses abilty to outlast Arkansas's offiense.

Our Defense may be on the field for most of the game. Why? Because our offense is going to be so explosive, I look for us to score a average of every ten plays over the course of the game.

I'm thinking we up our average plays per game from last year ... Gus has publicly said in the past he shot for 85. I think the sec may have softened that a touch ... Looking for 80 per game starting with the first. Our DL rotation and improved LB play works well enough (along with a couple turnovers by army).

So your score per ten ... Means we wallop them 56 - 28 ... But give up some points via the run game

Scores do not necessary mean TDs, but if we average a 60% TDs in the red zone, I would expect something like 80/10=8. times we score. Take 60% as TDs, and 40% as FG

5 TDs=35 points

3 FG = points 9

Total= 44 points.

Well, at least that's a reasoned analysis. ;)

5 TDs=35 points

3 FG = points 9

Total= 44 points.

Well, at least that's a reasoned analysis. ;)/>

like my 56 point version better

Can't argue with our logic

5 TDs=35 points

3 FG = points 9

Total= 44 points.

Well, at least that's a reasoned analysis. ;)/>

like my 56 point version better

Can't argue with our logic

Like your's better as well! :) I am counting on a few first game jitters, so I do not see us scoring TDs on each drive inside the red zone.

Just do not think the piggies can stop us for more than 10 plays average. Our offense is just too good and multi-faceted.

Granted, we have not seem them in a game this year, but I did see them at A-Day. Even though they were going up against the 2nd team Defense, I sa enough of the new passing game to know that with our running attack (CAP and Grant +Marshall), coupled with our air threats (no more double teaming Slamming Sammie or Duke is going to burn them bad), we are so potent on offense, it is going to take one heck of a defense to slow it down!

Even heard Damien Craig told a potential recruit, "This is will be a TD" in a fall scrimmage when he sent in a play. And it was to the amazement of the recruit. This team is so well prepared and balanced this year, we are going to be able to practically score at will against lesser teams.

If our defense can improve 30% over last year, we are unstoppable!

WDE!

The biggest factor for Auburn is the last time they were in uniform they'd barely lost the nc game. Arkansas is going to have some frustration taken out on them. Auburn scores on the first three possessions and never looks back.

Grant and d Williams leaf hohe way on o. Frost and aright lead the way on d

It's almost impossible to stay disciplined against Malzahn. Bama is supposedly the best in the business at playing disciplined defense and we out flanked them and beat them over the top numerous times. I don't think any player in the country can watch Marshall run the zone read or jet sweep 8 times in a row and not take one step forward to help. If the secondary plays back to avoid the big play, Malzahn will out-man you in the run game with pulling lineman and zone-read misdirection. The second you step forward, two projected first round WRs will run by you. You think Arkansas and the clown will be able to stop us? The only chance they have is running the ball. If we can't stop freaking Arkansas from running a basic I-formation, off-tackle play successfully then we should have bigger worries about this year.

Archived