Riggs runs

mwAUdeeb

Evening everybody; I'm going to try and tear myself away from my exasperation about this festering boil called the BCS and get back to enjoying the greatness :au: has acheived this year and ask a simple question of anyone who can answer it. It's an x's and o's question about Riggs runs in the 2nd half. I read something in one of the sports articles about the :au: defense lining up "misfit" on some of the second half plays including the ones Riggs broke free for long runs. When he got past the LOS he was already essentially by himself and just had to leg it out. There was no one there 3-4 yards beyond the LOS. Exactly what was meant by "misfit" beyond just either being out of position or choosing the wrong defense to line up in. :au: has not looked like that all year and am curious to know what happened in the x's and o's sense. Also, was it just me or was poor ole Will Herring getting caught out of position more than a few times. I really felt for him. He seemed to not be where he was supposed to be more than a few times. Thanks in advance. WDE and beat the Hokies in "the" championship game! (they've got a good team and got a really bad call in their game with USC that changed the whole complexion of that game and probably caused them to lose it)

Will Herring has made many GREAT plays this season. I am not gonna' BASH him

for any mistakes he may have made. WE WON. Will has been a BIG part of our defense and this miraculous Season.

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

I'm always really curious about what happened with our run defense in the 3rd quarter. I have not seen us look that bad in a long time and maybe someone who knows more about the x's and o's can help out. I can see it happening once, but it happened a few times and we didn't seem to adjust to it.

war eagle! :au:

Herring was biting hard on the playaction the entire game. It jumped up and bit him on the 3 big run plays they had (Riggs' 2 runs and the one by Houston that got called back for holding on UT). I don't believe that it was as much of a "misfit" as it was Herring being out of position and completely fooled by their misdirection in the backfield.

Not to point fingers, but McClover wasn't doing a whole heck of a lot on those big plays either. UT's left tackle owned him for 98% of that game.

Regardless, great play by the seniors and awesome leadership to pull us through with a win.

WDE

If you listened to tubs interviewed on the field after the game he said we decided to try some things we haven't tried this year in the 2nd half and we got caught in it. There were a few times when it looked like we had 10 men in the box or darn close to it. I'm not sure why we needed any new schemes when they only had 50 yards in the first half but we have a great coaching staff and I wouldn't trade em for any other, period.

All 3 of riggs' big runs were the same play, a simple counter trap play.

While the safety has a lot of repsonsibility, the weakside LB has even more. On all 3 plays both guys ended up out of position and that's why they worked. Matter of fact, on one of the runs, tony bell was the safety in the game. What gets me is that the runs happened virtually back to back to back. The fact that that play worked more than once is on DCGC, IMO.

I don't know how many seniors UT has but they were much improved over October, even with all the injuries and a third string QB. Sound familiar?? I look for UT and Florida to be the big dogs in the east next year and LSU and AU to lead the West.

One thing that helped UT was their ability to hold and get away with it. Even though they were flaged for about 90 yards, they still got away with a lot of holds, some were so bad I saw them from my seats on the 15 yard line.

It's a real good idea to "try something new" when we're trying to get votes to play in the NC game.

wouldn't have mattered in the voting if we'd won 50-7. so i don't care bout that.

on the riggs' run, will didn't really look out of position to me. he just couldn't tackle the guy. will's the only one that land a hand on him. unfortunately, he didn't even cause riggs to break stride. i have no idea why we were stacking the box like that. haven't done it all year, and proved we could stop the run without it. junior looked totally lost playing that close to the line. he didn't react quick enough to get over there. then derrick, God love him, he's just not as good as a.t. williams. that's all i'll say. they picked on him by running misdirection and delays right at him. who cares? we did enough to win, and we learned what not to do against a power running team when your tackles are getting zero push.

Archived