Sen. Boxer threatens federal regulation of BCS

CShine

December 10, 2004

Mr. Kevin L. Weiberg

Coordinator

Bowl Championship Series (BCS)

Dear Mr. Weiberg:

My constituents in California were extremely disappointed that the University of California at Berkeley failed to get a Rose Bowl bid.

It seems that every year, the Bowl Championship Series (BSC) disappoints many. Last year, it was the University of Southern California, and this year it was Cal and Auburn. But the problem is that people are not just disappointed, they are confused.

The Seattle Times editorialized on the subject under the title, "Cal was robbed." They closed the editorial writing, "Cal earned a trip to the Rose Bowl, and its victory was highjacked by an odd consortium few like or understand."

Your odd consortium, with secret votes and complex computer calculations, have left college football fans confused. As a self-regulating entity, the BCS system’s credibility depends on the trust of the participants and college football fans.

Football is the only major college sport where the national champion is not crowned on the field after a playoff of some sort. If you continue to reject a playoff system, then the system you use has to reach a higher standard and must be fully transparent.

First, why not make all of the polls public?

Second, if coaches or media from a given state decide to give their state an advantage in the Bowl selection process, then they should have to so state. That is the only way we will know if such an alliance of votes is part of the problem.

Third, the BCS should create an appeals mechanism for schools to utilize when the margin of difference in rankings is very small.

These are just three suggestions that should be part of a larger discussion.

The Senate Commerce Committee, on which I serve, has jurisdiction over interstate commerce and sports. The BCS system would fall under that jurisdiction. It would be very refreshing if this matter can be resolved in a way to satisfy everyone so that Congressional oversight will not be necessary.

Everyone knows that there are millions of dollars at stake, but for the fans, it’s about not only rewarding the best teams monetarily, but honoring the best teams based on objective criteria.

I would appreciate a full response to this letter.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer

United States Senator

http://www.boxer.senate.gov/news/record.cfm?id=229961

As I said when Bama fans wanted Congress to get after the NCAA:

I'd like to think my Congressional representatives and governing officials have better things to do with their time than worry about what is, in the end, merely a game. Sure I'd like to see a play-off and like Auburn to have a chance to play for the national championship. But I don't care to make a federal case out of it.

[Hmmm....endorsing less government regulation? That's pretty conservative/libertarian for an old liberal like me.]

I do not know but I bet Barbara Boxer is from California and is wondering why Texas gets millions more than Cal because it was secretly squeezed out of the BCS. I think having a United States Senator who is on the Senate Commerce Committee will get some eyes opened. Auburn was mentioned but it looks like she is concerned about the movement of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to the Texas School over the California School who should be in the Rose Bowl.

If it takes congress to get rid of the BCS then so be it. The US congress is supposed to make sure the people are not robbed by mobsters which is how the BCS is run. The BCS controls millions of dollars that supports higher education and therefore needs to be regulated.

If this woman can fix the BCS I say Barbara Boxer for President.

Quietfan you may be correct but I e-mailed the congressman and thanked him for taking time to voice his concerns about a system that few of us understand yet is so important to us all.

It may just take a lot of somethings like this to make a difference. Interstate commerce is the Govenment's business. The BCS and the NCAA control billions in interstate commerce. A little congressional threat won't hurt.

Congressmen have time for this. I see them on CSPAN reading the sports page when listening. He just wanted California to be able to play in the Rose Bowl.

Quietfan you may be correct but I e-mailed the congressman and thanked him for taking time to voice his concerns about a system that few of us understand yet is so important to us all.

It may just take a lot of somethings like this to make a difference. Interstate commerce is the Govenment's business. The BCS and the NCAA control billions in interstate commerce. A little congressional threat won't hurt.

Congressmen have time for this. I see them on CSPAN reading the sports page when listening. He just wanted California to be able to play in the Rose Bowl.

131770[/snapback]

She is a blue state liberal Senator. , not a congressman. If you had ever dealt with her you would "gag."

131770[/snapback]

She is a blue state liberal Senator. If you had ever dealt with her you would "gag."

131780[/snapback]

Who the hell cares who she is....I am sick and tired of people sterotyping others because of "labels" or etc. You cant just "not listen" to someone just because of a label....that makes you a jerk. Somtimes the political agenda on this board scares me.....alot. Lol, I dont vote for bush and people call me a liberal...hell I bet people would say I would burn the white house down right?

You just gotta listen to everybody, no matter the issue, because alot of people have alot of "something" to say. Just labeling and sterotyping causes trouble.

Who the hell cares who she is....I am sick and tired of people sterotyping others because of "labels" or etc.  You cant just "not listen" to someone just because of a label....that makes you a jerk.  Somtimes the political agenda on this board scares me.....alot.  Lol, I dont vote for bush and people call me a liberal...hell I bet people would say I would burn the white house down right? 

You just gotta listen to everybody, no matter the issue, because alot of people have alot of "something" to say.  Just labeling and sterotyping causes trouble.

131783[/snapback]

Nitpicking Disclaimer: This is a direct response to a generalization made by Vatz, and has no bearing on any particular individual.

A valid point remains valid, regardless of who makes it. Concluding that someone is automatically wrong because they happen to be a "liberal" does not just cause trouble, it betrays stupidity.

The truly disturbing element is that the BCS has perpetrated so much "injustice" that a United States Senator from California has to direct her attention toward it.

Drawing names out of a hat would be equally effective at determining the national champion.

No one can argue against openness, regardless of the source suggestion.

When we hear rumors of "Brother" Stoops voting us #11 in order to help OU . . . Probably false, but why not DECLARED?

As political as the BCS machine is, no one should complain about a political threat of oversight.

Sic 'em BB!

i'm glad that the senate commerce committee has their fingers on the pulse of the nation. you could make a legit argument that congress lacks a certain connection to the reality we live a large part of the time. this is a big deal to a LOT of people. mrs. boxer's comments show that she understands her constituency and the things that affect them. it also shows that the committee is willing to step in (or threaten to do so) when interstate commerce and sport are not being run legally or effectively. that's nice to know since that's what they're there for. bravo mrs., sic 'em!

Barbara Levy Boxer (born November 11, 1940) is United States Democratic Party politician who has been a United States Senator representing California since 1993. Throughout her political career Boxer has been a vocal advocate for environmental issues, women's rights and gun control. Due to her liberal stances, she is often a political target of conservative groups

Also - her daughter married Hillary Clinton's brother

Skull  Barbara is a woman

She is kinda cute too.

131773[/snapback]

She's a big time liberal <<edit>> too...like so many "elites" from California!

edited by ct...while she is a public person, i don't think name calling in this instance will further a positive discussion on the issue at hand.

[Who the hell cares who she is....I am sick and tired of people sterotyping others because of "labels" or etc.  You cant just "not listen" to someone just because of a label....that makes you a jerk.  Somtimes the political agenda on this board scares me.....alot.  Lol, I dont vote for bush and people call me a liberal...hell I bet people would say I would burn the white house down right? 

You just gotta listen to everybody, no matter the issue, because alot of people have alot of "something" to say.  Just labeling and sterotyping causes trouble.

131783[/snapback]

Thanks for your little lecture but it belongs in the Political Forum. Now get back to studying :angry:

I dont want Congress to hand us a tissue while we cry. It does us no good and only makes us look more pathetic. Thank God this was directed towards $$$ and the PAC10 and not $$$$ and the SEC. That's all we would need. :rolleyes:

A fringe left-wing senator whining about a fringe left-wing school being left out of the BCS ...

Everyone knew the rules ahead of time ... the rules were applied ... Berkeley didn't make the cut. This is only a problem for people who like to whine.

Maybe if the PAC-10 didn't suck so badly from year to year they would have a second New Years Day bowl tie-in ...

Truth is truth whether is comes from the mouth of a conservative or liberal. Auburn was hurt by the system which appears to have had been infected with less than honest voting, particularly in the Coaches Poll. Boxer makes some good points in her letter. If the BCS system remains I for one would like to see changes make. Disclosure of how each coach voted is a change I would like to see happen.

While I do not personally care for or support the majority Senator Boxer's views, I am with her on this one.

[Who the hell cares who she is....I am sick and tired of people sterotyping others because of "labels" or etc.  You cant just "not listen" to someone just because of a label....that makes you a jerk.  Somtimes the political agenda on this board scares me.....alot.  Lol, I dont vote for bush and people call me a liberal...hell I bet people would say I would burn the white house down right? 

131783[/snapback]

Thanks for your little lecture but it belongs in the Political Forum. Now get back to studying :angry:

131876[/snapback]

Lol...will do... :o

Truth is truth whether is comes from the mouth of a conservative or liberal.  Auburn was hurt by the system which appears to have had been infected with less than honest voting, particularly in the Coaches Poll.  Boxer makes some good points in her letter.  If the BCS system remains I for one would like to see changes make.  Disclosure of how each coach voted is a change I would like to see happen.

While I do not personally care for or support the majority Senator Boxer's views, I am with her on this one.

131904[/snapback]

The reason Auburn isn't in the MNC is that they didn't start off highly ranked like USC/OU did. It wasn't dishonesty - that's the way the system always works. You don't move up as a general rule unless someone above you loses.

If you have three undefeated major conference teams, the one who started out the season ranked lower is going to get left out.

The way to fix the system is NOT for the national government to get involved. The way to fix the system is to have a playoff.

The way to fix the system is NOT for the national government to get involved.  The way to fix the system is to have a playoff.

131913[/snapback]

Right on!!!

Archived