What happen on the first play of the game???

tigerman1186

Not to sound too stupid, but I need clarification on a rule. If the QB and receiver are both behind the line scrimmage,is it considered a forward pass if the ball is thrown ahead of the receiver, or a handoff? The play was so close either way.

I was screaming for Nick to run the ball during one of the series that we had to settle for a FG. Nick could have scored easily based on what I saw during the play. It was even more evident on the replay.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to sound too stupid, but I need clarification on a rule. If the QB and receiver are both behind the line scrimmage,is it considered a forward pass if the ball is thrown ahead of the receiver, or a handoff? The play was so close either way.

I was screaming for Nick to run the ball during one of the series that we had to settle for a FG. Nick could have scored easily based on what I saw during the play. It was even more evident on the replay.

Yes but this was not a forward pass.

Even the quick underhanded forward lay up to a sprinting player is considered a pass play and shows on the stat sheet as one. A 6 inch pass in the backfield can turn into an 80 yards pass completion for a touchdown.

I agree with Mikey - and am highly confident that was supposed to be a forward pass. Still [ should have covered it up though.]

Wonder if there was any significance to giving the first touch to Roc (true FR from the state) and the second to Grant (transfer from bama)? Maybe it had something to do with who they are and the significance of the game?

Regardless, I am 100% confident in Gus, especially with his play calling. Sure, sometimes things may look a little odd, but we rarely question the "odd" things when they work. He still runs the most potent offense AU has ever fielded.

Yeah, that whole play until the whistle thing and all.

on our first field goal series, on 2nd down CAP scores if he stays outside. bray had the block. i can always find more of these on the replay. I usually drink too much to catch them all live.

Just saying its not ridiculous to think having a true freshman who hasn't played a whole lot and is now playing in the biggest game of his career might not have been the absolute best person to touch the ball on the first snap thats all - and the results beared that assessment. Apparently after reading other posts in this thread, I'm not the only one who thinks so. If that was the most ridiculous post you read that day then whatever dude. Obviously you are as entitled as much as the rest of us to your opinion and didn't mean to say otherwise.

A true freshman with 11 games under his belt. More than enough time...

The play was 100% scripted and was probably practiced with no problem all week...

You could argue that Grant might have been better for the play but bamas defense would have been looking for Grant in the flats the second his jersey was behind Nick. All eyes were on CAP even when he was on the sideline.

The design and purpose was great!!! Execution not so much... All these recliner coaches that swear their wife can call GUS' plays before the snap missed this one for sure. (as did bama's coaching staff) First play with ROC in the backfield of the Iron Bowl is 59.99 percent zone read, 40 percent play action pass, and .01 percent swing pass to ROC.

Fast Forward to the 7 minute and 27 second mark on this video.

#1 With Roc in the backfield Alabama sends a corner (Geno Smith) on a blitz almost certain GUS will call the Zone with Roc in the backfield. Geno Smith is out of the play if ROC just makes the simple catch.

#2 ROC is also known for hitting holes at full speed so I give him a good chance of breaking past the corner and safety being held up by Ray and Bray.

#3 Trey Depriest and Reggie Ragland are very fast at playing side to side but if ROC catches that ball in stride Reggie had no chance and is in full chase mode. (Trey completely out of play by design)

#4 With Geno Smith out of the picture and the safety coming up to jam Ray at the line this play had big potential with only the far side safety giving Roc chase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glAd-VSCDB8

More than enough time? The kid has 6 receptions for 27 yards the entire year. Saying he has 11 games under his belt in no way fully describes his season. This wasn't Mike Dyer '10 playing time by any stretch of the imagination but I digress.

Archived