What happen on the first play of the game???

tigerman1186

Sometimes their is no rhyme or reason to Gus(Rhett's) play calling..... This was one of those.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had no problem with the call. Roc just needs to be taught that incomplete backward passes are fumbles. He probably knows that now. More Roc!

I was disappointed in the lack of PT for JJ and Barber this year

The last 2 years have been a waste for JJ.

We never got in a position to play JJ unless we had the game well in hand.

What do you propose that we did? Run a dual QB system?

There hasn't been any reason to bench NM other than his green thumb...which we did and JJ got to play.

The amount of people that are still whining about NM, who played with a huge heart and guts on a weekly basis, is baffling.

Fans have a bad taste in their mouth....loss to FSU, then we lose our last 3 SEC games and we become whiny and bitchy.. Start questioning every little thing and wanting coaches heads on a platter. It's hard to stomach when uat is riding high and UGA whipped our arses.

Sometimes coaches outsmart themselves...you are playing the #1 team in the nation on the road; so naturally you start a true freshman that has had limited playing time...not the SEC's leading rusher; or another senior that is one of the three fastest guys in the SEC.

That was probably supposed to be a forward swing pass and was practiced as such. Whether Nick didn't drop back enough or Rock went back too far is anybody's guess, but I'd bet money the play was designed to be a forward pass. As such, there would be no reason for to Roc to cover it.

That was probably supposed to be a forward swing pass and was practiced as such. Whether Nick didn't drop back enough or Rock went back too far is anybody's guess, but I'd bet money the play was designed to be a forward pass. As such, there would be no reason for to Roc to cover it.

I agree that it probably was supposed to be a forward pass, but we've ran it that way a few times this year. That needed to be fixed.

Totally agree. As the play developed I didn't even consider that the ball was live when Roc couldn't hang on to it. Took the replay for me to realize the sad truth. The fact that we didn't see Roc again last night makes me think he ran a bad route but I'll admit that I'm by no means a big Xs and Os guy so I could be wrong. I did find it someone strange that Roc got the start last night though. Not saying he isn't capable but more to the effect that CAP had earned to start in his last Iron Bowl.

I agree with Mikey - and am highly confident that was supposed to be a forward pass. Still should have covered it up though.

Wonder if there was any significance to giving the first touch to Roc (true FR from the state) and the second to Grant (transfer from bama)? Maybe it had something to do with who they are and the significance of the game?

Regardless, I am 100% confident in Gus, especially with his play calling. Sure, sometimes things may look a little odd, but we rarely question the "odd" things when they work. He still runs the most potent offense AU has ever fielded.

Sometimes their is no rhyme or reason to Gus(Rhett's) play calling..... This was one of those.....

And according to the football gurus this exactly why Nick doesn't like to coach against Gus. Nick likes to think he can outsmart the opposition and knows their tendencies better than they do. He can't do that with Auburn.

I thought I heard or read that CAP had an equipment issue. Not sure if I agree with benching Roc for the rest of the game. Coach needs to coach him up after a mistake.

First play should have never gone to the true freshman. Asking for trouble and that's what we got.

That's the most ridiculous thing i've read today..

Right, because it worked out so well for us. And speaking of ridiculous posts, isn't it about time for you to belittle someone again for stating their opinion? It's been a minute or two since you've used your mod powers to hammer all us little guys. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

A recruiting promise fulfilled ...

My initial thought. I told several of my buddies that was the only logical explanation

I was told from a decent source he was promised the first touch/play of the Iron Bowl ... I can't 100% verify this but it seems logical.

Roc has mediocre to bad hands. He has fumbled on limited carries this year, and he cannot consistently catch the ball. Even on kick off returns when he is just going to down it, with nobody in his face, he has dropped it multiple times this season. Unless you are handing Roc the ball, don't give it to him. It's a big risk. And then the lack of awareness to jump on the ball is just inexcusable. Play to the whistle.

I wonder ......

1. Why in this big game with players pumped up with emotion did we take the ball first?

2. Why start a freshman RB with little big game experiece and throw to him on the first play. Go with regular guys until things settle down.

Why did we take the ball first? Great question. Last thing we needed was to start the game a touchdown behind.

An offensive play didn't work and bama scored. Then all of a sudden Gus becomes an Offensive GURU again and we start blowing holes in the VAUNTED BAMA Defense over 600 Yards 44 Points a couple of dropped passes and it would have been more points. There is no reason to question any play calling by Gus in this game. One play that wasn't executed well does not make it a bad play call.

Complain about the D but to second guess the play calling by GUS even a single play is a joke.

I wondered what the he!! upon realizing an inexperienced Freshman was starting the game instead of our experienced Senior, in what would be the Senior's last regular season game as an Auburn Tiger. And used multiple swear words when the aformentioned Freshman made a Freshman type play. I wonder at the thought process that came up with that brilliant idea.

I was told from a decent source he was promised the first touch/play of the Iron Bowl ... I can't 100% verify this but it seems logical.

Was he told it would be his only touch ?

First play should have never gone to the true freshman. Asking for trouble and that's what we got.

Right, because it worked out so well for us.

It was ONE frickin' play dude. ONE PLAY. It wasn't like it was his first snap all season. He's been on the receiving end of that play several times this year. This one just didn't work. SO WHAT.

And speaking of ridiculous posts, isn't it about time for you to belittle someone again for stating their opinion? It's been a minute or two since you've used your mod powers to hammer all us little guys. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

How is me responding to a post in a thread using mod powers. It's called having an opinion of my own. You have your opinion and I have mine. So what?

It was ONE frickin' play dude. ONE PLAY. It wasn't like it was his first snap all season. He's been on the receiving end of that play several times this year. This one just didn't work. SO WHAT.

And speaking of ridiculous posts, isn't it about time for you to belittle someone again for stating their opinion? It's been a minute or two since you've used your mod powers to hammer all us little guys. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

How is me responding to a post in a thread using mod powers. It's called having an opinion of my own. You have your opinion and I have mine. So what?

OK children.

Just saying its not ridiculous to think having a true freshman who hasn't played a whole lot and is now playing in the biggest game of his career might not have been the absolute best person to touch the ball on the first snap thats all - and the results beared that assessment. Apparently after reading other posts in this thread, I'm not the only one who thinks so. If that was the most ridiculous post you read that day then whatever dude. Obviously you are as entitled as much as the rest of us to your opinion and didn't mean to say otherwise.

Just saying its not ridiculous to think having a true freshman who hasn't played a whole lot and is now playing in the biggest game of his career might not have been the absolute best person to touch the ball on the first snap thats all - and the results beared that assessment. Apparently after reading other posts in this thread, I'm not the only one who thinks so. If that was the most ridiculous post you read that day then whatever dude. Obviously you are as entitled as much as the rest of us to your opinion and didn't mean to say otherwise.

A true freshman with 11 games under his belt. More than enough time...

The play was 100% scripted and was probably practiced with no problem all week...

You could argue that Grant might have been better for the play but bamas defense would have been looking for Grant in the flats the second his jersey was behind Nick. All eyes were on CAP even when he was on the sideline.

The design and purpose was great!!! Execution not so much... All these recliner coaches that swear their wife can call GUS' plays before the snap missed this one for sure. (as did bama's coaching staff) First play with ROC in the backfield of the Iron Bowl is 59.99 percent zone read, 40 percent play action pass, and .01 percent swing pass to ROC.

Fast Forward to the 7 minute and 27 second mark on this video.

#1 With Roc in the backfield Alabama sends a corner (Geno Smith) on a blitz almost certain GUS will call the Zone with Roc in the backfield. Geno Smith is out of the play if ROC just makes the simple catch.

#2 ROC is also known for hitting holes at full speed so I give him a good chance of breaking past the corner and safety being held up by Ray and Bray.

#3 Trey Depriest and Reggie Ragland are very fast at playing side to side but if ROC catches that ball in stride Reggie had no chance and is in full chase mode. (Trey completely out of play by design)

#4 With Geno Smith out of the picture and the safety coming up to jam Ray at the line this play had big potential with only the far side safety giving Roc chase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glAd-VSCDB8

Archived