What happen on the first play of the game???

tigerman1186

Why didn't we have the play review…it looked like there could have been a case to overturn the decision…hated that Roc was sent to the bench the rest of the night…was glad to see Cory Grant score a TD….

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny comment from my wife when this play occurred:

Wife: "What happened on that play? Why didn't he get the ball?"

My response: "He's just a freshman dear".

Wife: "Well it is not his first rodeo, I mean he played football in high school. On a play like that you throw your butt on the ball, and find out later if you had to."

She doesn't know much about football, but it is hard to argue with her logic.

I wonder ......

1. Why in this big game with players pumped up with emotion did we take the ball first?

2. Why start a freshman RB with little big game experiece and throw to him on the first play. Go with regular guys until things settle down.

i was wondering if CAP was out injured. first play Roc, next play Grant is in. why not have the sec rush leader in till the 3rd play?

i was wondering if CAP was out injured. first play Roc, next play Grant is in. why not have the sec rush leader in till the 3rd play?

I wondered the same thing, but oh well ... what is done is done.

I see freshman playing all over the sec. No execute. In my opinion the fact we did not have a solid backup to go to like cap as last year hurt us. Heck. Bama brings in 27 on last drive and seals deal. Roc basically lost a red shirt this year and barber might as well been redshirted also.

Lack of significant pt for backup rbs was inexcusable if you ask me.

I didnt see the big deal with it going to Roc in the first place, but Im not surprised people are complaining about it. It was a simple play, a simple pass. Roc being a freshman should have absolutely nothing to do with whether it was executed or not. He simply missed it and didnt get on it. People complain all season that Roc doesnt get it enough, then when he gets a chance at a crucial moment, the other side complains. I guess Gus was stupid for expecting a freshman to be able to execute a simple swing pass. He was giving a player a chance to make a play and it/he failed. I dont see any reason to complain about it. It happened. How many times this year did SENIORS screw up as bad or worse when the error wasnt forced. Dismukes snap? Marshall/CAP fumble at the goal line? Bray's fumbling? Coates dropping passes? Idiotic late hits by veterans? Give me a break with the freshman crap.

A couple assumptions I have are that Gus was looking to catch bama off guard or CAP had a mild punishment(maybe something school related or an attitude adjustment).

I see freshman playing all over the sec. No execute. In my opinion the fact we did not have a solid backup to go to like cap as last year hurt us. Heck. Bama brings in 27 on last drive and seals deal. Roc basically lost a red shirt this year and barber might as well been redshirted also.

Lack of significant pt for backup rbs was inexcusable if you ask me.

barber already redshirted.

A couple assumptions I have are that Gus was looking to catch bama off guard or CAP had a mild punishment(maybe something school related or an attitude adjustment).

i am one who also had no problem with Roc being in or the play call. I had a problem with the lack of effort to cover it. i suppose that is why he didnt play again.

I was disappointed in the lack of PT for JJ and Barber this year

I wonder ......

1. Why in this big game with players pumped up with emotion did we take the ball first?

Duh, with our defense, Gus wanted the ball first to score first and make bama play catch-up. Right call, if we scored and kept them out and we go up two scores, whole different ballgame.

First play should have never gone to the true freshman. Asking for trouble and that's what we got.

That's the most ridiculous thing i've read today..

I thought the play call was good but poorly executed. Thought everybody wanted more Roc. Idea was stretch edge with speed and extra step if pass. When Roc made very little effort to recover he should ride the pine and think about winning a future opportunity to play in a game at practice.

Cap hit holes well. Ran to daylight. Best I've seen. Don't recall any stops from running into blockers. It may have been a message. If so Cap responded. Bama started selling out on his runs. Not sure why Nick did not read and keep more later in game. Figure they were all predetermined after Georgia.

Correct me if I am wrong, but go back to the uga game and look. We came out with the same play to Roc on first play. Then we followed on the next two first down plays with the same play. Two went to the left and one went to the right. Each one netted like 6 yards and we got a first the following plays. Then we never saw Roc again for the rest of the night. Not upset with the play, but I am upset with Roc not hustling on the ball. That's not a freshman thing, that was just poor hustle. I hope Gus got the point across to him. WDE

The last 2 years have been a waste for JJ.

We never got in a position to play JJ unless we had the game well in hand.

The last 2 years have been a waste for JJ.

We never got in a position to play JJ unless we had the game well in hand.

What do you propose that we did? Run a dual QB system?

There hasn't been any reason to bench NM other than his green thumb...which we did and JJ got to play.

The amount of people that are still whining about NM, who played with a huge heart and guts on a weekly basis, is baffling.

Archived