Question about Muschamp defense

auburn2oregon

I have a friend that is a HS DC and his belief that Gary Patterson is a genius of a defensive mind. Although I have not followed TCU the friend tells me that CGP uses the same 4-2-5 that CEJ used. People use our experience with it to impeach the 4-2-5 but was CEJ just a victim of circumstances?

I have a friend that is a HS DC and his belief that Gary Patterson is a genius of a defensive mind. Although I have not followed TCU the friend tells me that CGP uses the same 4-2-5 that CEJ used. People use our experience with it to impeach the 4-2-5 but was CEJ just a victim of circumstances?

Not too many folks can honestly say they know to what extent he was victim or perpetrator, but I think most smart folks agree that the 4-2-5 itself was not the culprit.

Can we stop with the 4-2-5 sucks. I guarantee you Muschamp will run that formation. It was the actual schemes Ellis used. Not the base formation...

We didn't have a pass rusher, our linebackers could never consistently make tackles in the hole, and our DBs had no idea what they were doing in coverage. The scheme we ran was not the problem this year.

The difference with muschamp's version of man coverage vs cej version will be that the db's will actually jam the receivers at the line of scrimmage, therefore disrupting the timing which in turn helps the d-line get a pass rush. Can't wait to see this happen, finally

Can we stop with the 4-2-5 sucks. I guarantee you Muschamp will run that formation. It was the actual schemes Ellis used. Not the base formation...

Actually this was my point. But I believe if we had not hired a high profile coach but hired another 4-2-5 dc that was not high profile dc their would of been a backlash by the fans...

Actually this was my point. But I believe if we had not hired a high profile coach but hired another 4-2-5 dc that was not high profile dc their would of been a backlash by the fans...

Exactly. It was emberassing seeing how lost our secondary was this year. I know all of our ex-assistants didn't forget to coach. Johnson just wasn't putting them in spots to succeed. Be it teaching or play calls.

I dont know what his name even is, so he couldn't be THAT high profile of a DC, but I wouldn't of been upset with us hiring the DC from TCU, thus keeping the 4-2-5 (which we have recruited for the past 2 years, thus all the "tweeners" we now have.) Because you know, they have had a pretty good defense of late...

That being said, as I said in the OP, Muschamp ran the Nickel about 75% of the time the last few seasons, so I expect to see some of the same formations.

Granted there would of been some who weren't happy if the hire wasn't Muschamp, especially with all the news at first about the possibility.

The hybrid defense Muschamp is going to be running has been successful not just for him but for multiple defenses in the NFL and college.... and if Lawson can hybrid a 2 to 3 point stance it'll be deadly.

Saban/Smart run a similar D..... and besides this year it's went pretty well for them.

I'm a novice but it always seemed to me that, on every play, we were trying to bring pressure with just 4 (occasionally 5) guys... And, more importantly, it was obvious which ones were coming. Not disguising that front made it easy to attack, in my opinion.

From the sound of your answers, I expect this to change starting in 2015 and I'm ecstatic about it.

I'm a novice but it always seemed to me that, on every play, we were trying to bring pressure with just 4 (occasionally 5) guys... And, more importantly, it was obvious which ones were coming. Not disguising that front made it easy to attack, in my opinion.

From the sound of your answers, I expect this to change starting in 2015 and I'm ecstatic about it.

As well you should. You're right about the lack of deception that was part of our defense. WM worked under Wayne Hall, Bill Oliver, Nick Saban and Tommy Tuberville. That's 4 of the best defensive coaches ever. He'll make us proud of our defense again.

We spend a lot of time on here placing blame on CEJ. CEJ defenses were also consistently in the top 10 when he arrived here and he was the best DC on the market at the time of his hire.

Im not so convinced that a lot of the issues were more personal related than coaching related. I mean a man that has been that successful at multptiple places in a 35 year career doesn't suddenly forget how to coach football.

I realize with as poor as the performances were CEJ had to go. However, I think its a bit unrealistic to think CWM is gonna take essentially the same personal plus a few freshmen and have a top 15 defense next year. I do expect it to be much improved probably 25.

I can't even rememeber the last time AU had a top 10 defense .....2006?

WDE anyways!!!!!

We spend a lot of time on here placing blame on CEJ. CEJ defenses were also consistently in the top 10 when he arrived here and he was the best DC on the market at the time of his hire.

Im not so convinced that a lot of the issues were more personal related than coaching related. I mean a man that has been that successful at multptiple places in a 35 year career doesn't suddenly forget how to coach football.

I realize with as poor as the performances were CEJ had to go. However, I think its a bit unrealistic to think CWM is gonna take essentially the same personal plus a few freshmen and have a top 15 defense next year. I do expect it to be much improved probably 25.

I can't even rememeber the last time AU had a top 10 defense .....2006?

WDE anyways!!!!!

Pretty sure everyone thought the same when Malzahn was hired. We went from the bottom to the top pretty quickly. Thats not to say I expect the turn around we saw from our offense in 2013, but I would be willing to bet we make a significant jump in defensive rankings next season.

Archived