Saban has been offered

DKW 86

Link

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

One year after LSU coach Nick Saban began considering the Miami Dolphins as a franchise with which he might someday return to the NFL, Saban has the opportunity to turn intrigue into employment, ESPN.com has learned.

Saban was formally offered the Dolphins job on Wednesday, but contrary to some reports he has not yet accepted. ESPN.com has confirmed Saban will spend at least Wednesday evening and perhaps even a few more days considering the proposal and discussing it with family members.

Saban's agent Jimmy Sexton spent much of Wednesday meeting in Miami with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga discussing contract parameters. The two made what one source termed "significant progress" toward a deal, but an agreement was not reached. Some details still need to be agreed upon.

Financial details of Miami's offer are not known. But the contract would provide Saban, if he accepts, near-absolute control over football-related decisions and allow him to help reshape the organization following its disastrous 2004 season. Sexton will review the contract with Saban on Wednesday night.

Wow, look for LSU's recruiting standing to plummet...guess it doesn't matter though. The corndogs are winning the NC now until about 2009 anyway.

ESPN Cold Pizza says that CNS gets 100% control of players etc at Miami. Like Shanahan, Holmgren, etc.

They were united in three things:

1) Saban would be a great "coach."

2) Saban would inhale as a GM.

3) THAT HE WILL TURN THIS JOB DOWN! :cheers:

mixed emotions for me.

i hate to see the conference lose its talented people, even if it is a rival.

yet, i'd love to see what saban can do at the pro level w/ such a storied franchise.

i think he takes it.

ct

What would you do, you love your job yet someone in a really appealing job offered you triple your Salary and complete control of everything you want........

Exactly, as far as I am concerened, once he announces his departure he is NO Longer and LSU Tiger and I wish nothing but failure on the Miami dolphins... Bitter ??? Yes.....

As for recruiting, it has already taken a dive....

I know you guys are celebrating but for me (A friendly corndog) this is just miserable, I want to go stick my head in the snow (Yes it snowed in Dallas) for about 2 days and pray it was a bad dream..

Sadly its not, we were Hoodwinked, Bamboozled...

Well I bought it hook line and sinker.

Man this sucks I know you guys are loving it but for me (I come in peace) this really really really sucks...

What would you do, you love your job yet someone in a really appealing job offered you triple your Salary and complete control of everything you want........

Exactly, as far as I am concerened, once he announces his departure he is NO Longer and LSU Tiger and I wish nothing but failure on the Miami dolphins... Bitter ??? Yes.....

I know you guys are celebrating but for me (A friendly corndog) this is just miserable, I want to go stick my head in the snow (Yes it snowed in Dallas) for about 2 days and pray it was a bad dream..

Man this sucks I know you guys are loving it but for me (I come in peace) this really really really sucks...

133627[/snapback]

I for one understand your feelings. I'm sorry if Saban leaves because I think having a coach of his stature at LSU is good for the SEC. But it just underscores what most of us do, namely putting such a high priority on sports, and particularly FB, that we "fall in love" with our HC but sooner or later get out hearts broke. Just look at what's happening all over the country with coaching changes and unhappy people left behind.

133627[/snapback]

I feel for you, TLSUT. I'd hate to lose our coach as much as you hate to lose yours. Who do you feel is the most likely candidate to replace Nick?

Amen Proud Tiger, I (And most of us) invest to much into a football game, but like the proud people here with your Auburn tigers, for me LSU football is more then a game, its a matter of pride, State pride specifically. We get dumped on SO much by people. Lets face it the State of Louisiana is the butt of many a joke. For once we had something people could not make fun of us about. Yeh that may be a little dramatic but its true. LSU football gave us from Louisiana something to be very proud of. Same with Auburn, think about you cannot say you dont drive around with that big Auburn sticker on the back saying "Yeh I am an Auburn grad, and we are 12-0 how about you"

Like I said Dramatic, yeh probably and your right we probably invest to much into a football game. I am going to be a dad soon I am sure my perspective will change dramatically...

Well at this point who knows, I know skip said he has already had several calls from coaches Agents saying "My guy is interested" and skip said he will ONLY hire a current sitting head coach (So he said)

With that said, Butch Davis is my choice, but there is a ton of us opposed to it, PLus Davis has said he has health problems and is not interested.

So at this point who knows, Saban was a nobody when LSU hired him, Matter of fact he had just come off a huge tail kicking from LSU and Dinardo in the Independence bowl maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle again... I hope so.. But with the SEC shaping up the way it is, he better bring some brass ones...

Most of your hot names are already committed or just signed long term deals (Not that matters, Saban signed a 7 year new contract less then a year ago, you see how that worked out for us) Meyer is gone, Spurrier, Petrino just re-signed..

I would like Ferentz from Iowa as well, but he is not going anywhere.

I am nervous Saban forgot to give us a reach around before he left and we wont be able to get a good coach this late in the game. I hope I am wrong...

All I know is whoever we get I hope he wants to be at LSU for awhile, runs a clean program with class and gives us a chance to compete. AND (Big AND) does not run us through the Coach Name to the NFL rumor every year...

Tex, I have always been a fan of LSU, going back to the days of the Chinese Bandits (as a kid). LSU was there before Saban came and will be there after he leaves, whenever that is. No one man or woman makes LSU or AU what it is. The institutions and fans are far more important than one man.

If he leaves, he leaves. He just a good coach and there are plenty of good coaches available.

Tex, I have always been a fan of LSU, going back to the days of the Chinese Bandits (as a kid).  LSU was there before Saban came and will be there after he leaves, whenever that is.  No one man or woman makes LSU or AU what it is.  The institutions and fans are far more important than one man.

If he leaves, he leaves.  He just a good coach and there are plenty of good coaches available.

133642[/snapback]

This is very true, LSU is bigger then one man, the only problem is LSU was not very good before he came.. At least consistantly, the last 5 years was the best 5 year stretch in LSU football history... (Winning wise)

I will still be proud of my school and state after he leaves, but is was sure nice winning those championships, Not that it will end who knows, but having Saban was sure nice..

We believe that is another one (in about million over the last week) that is proven to be false.

Saban said it wasnt about money, and until told otherwise I will believe that.

Also LSU said it will not pay him anymore money...

Lastly, I would be very dissapointed if this true, we dont need to pay him anymore money.. LSU has given him everything they possibley could in facilities, money and support.

While I do hope Saban decides to stay at LSU, I can't say that I blame him if he leaves.

TexasLSUTiger, I STRONGLY disagree with you about not supporting Saban. I know LSU was here before Saban but LSU football is where it is right now, because of him. If he leaves, he has left LSU in its most attractive status in LSU history. If Saban leaves I will support him 100% and wish him well and hope that he has great success. If you thought Saban was going to stay at LSU for ever you're an idiot. Everyone knows he has would like to coach in the pros. I mean do you not support Michael Clayton because he left early?? Its apparent that Saban would like to evetually get into the NFL......just as Clayton and the best time to do that is when your stock is the highest. Its not about the money!!! Its about personal goals and experiences!!! To not support a guy who has brought you 2 SECC, 1 NC and put LSU football back on the map in just 5 years is just plain SELFISH AND GREEDY!!!

I know Saban's head is probably telling him to go, but his heart is telling him to stay. Miami is offering everything Saban wants, as far as control is concerned. But Saban knows that he will be giving up the PASSION, EXCITEMENT, and SUPPORT that LSU fans and the SEC brings.

Archived