Poll: Americans Starting to Worry About Climate Change Now That It Affects Their Lawns

homersapien

http://www.newyorker...cts-their-lawns

"....Carol Foyler, a San Mateo resident who has watched her lawn turn from a gorgeous green to a hideous brown during California’s drought, said she blamed scientists “for failing to warn us of the true cost of climate change.”

“They always said that polar bears would starve to death,” she said. “But they never told us our lawns would look like crap.”....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"They always said that polar bears would starve to death," she said. "But they never told us our lawns would look like crap."...

88B9A72F-FDE6-4272-9DFB-D09FD6F67AED_zps8uh7cajw.jpg

Apparently she also hasn't been warned that this has happened before. Palm tree fossils captured in the Antarctic ice tell of much, much warmer days than these in the earth's not so distant past.

Apparently she also hasn't been warned that this has happened before. Palm tree fossils captured in the Antarctic ice tell of much, much warmer days than these in the earth's not so distant past.

That was the state of the earth pre flood. There was a layer of water vapor above the earth. The world before actually knew no rain. It was like a greenhouse. Water vapor is much more of a "greenhouse gas" than CO2

Shear ignorance.......

The drought is worse because of increased population shifts to big cities, Big Ag, and water consumption in the Golden State. Tie that to dry conditions and you have drought.

Shear ignorance.......

2008103017563433662.jpg

:dunno:

Get it?! Shear ignorance!

I'll let myself out.

Well, when it goes from global warming....to global cooling....to just climate change.... Clearly there are alterior motives. The climate is always changing. Sometimes it's warmer, sometimes it's colder....oooohhhhhh...I just made a scientific breakthrough!!! It's global warm-cooling!!!

Well, when it goes from global warming....to global cooling....to just climate change.... Clearly there are alterior motives. The climate is always changing. Sometimes it's warmer, sometimes it's colder....oooohhhhhh...I just made a scientific breakthrough!!! It's global warm-cooling!!!

:rolleyes:

Good thing there aren't any ulterior motives. Cause that would be bad.

*sigh*

Who wants to educate this one? My absolutely awful pun has drained me.

:rolleyes:/>

*sigh*

Yes, please edumacate me

...sigh....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/09/10/terrifying-flat-global-temperature-crisis-threatens-to-disrupt-u-n-climate-conference-agenda/

The one thing you can count on as an American Politician is the complete pettiness of the American public.

Yard looking like crap? Wow, just wow.

*sigh*

Yes, please edumacate me

...sigh....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/09/10/terrifying-flat-global-temperature-crisis-threatens-to-disrupt-u-n-climate-conference-agenda/

Pretty clear that, despite your ignorance of the matter as displayed by your stupidity filled rant two posts ago, you have already got your mind made up. Want to go over why that two year old blog post you shared is fractallly wrong, or continue to insult our intelligence with your ignorance?

*sigh*

Yes, please edumacate me

...sigh....

Pretty clear that, despite your ignorance of the matter, as displayed by your stupidity filled rant two posts ago, you have already got your mind made up. Want to go over why that two year old blog post you shared is fractallly wrong, or continue to insult our intelligence with your ignorance?

Let's rather talk about how the earth is 1.4 degrees warmer than it was in 1880. Yikes. A whole 1.4 degrees!!!!!! Take your pathetic disgusting holier than thou arrogance and shove it. Your obviously a fan of taking tiny things and overblowing the hell out of them. No sense in arguing with arrogant jack wagons.

*sigh*

Yes, please edumacate me

...sigh....

Pretty clear that, despite your ignorance of the matter, as displayed by your stupidity filled rant two posts ago, you have already got your mind made up. Want to go over why that two year old blog post you shared is fractallly wrong, or continue to insult our intelligence with your ignorance?

Let's rather talk about how the earth is 1.4 degrees warmer than it was in 1880. Yikes. A whole 1.4 degrees!!!!!! Take your pathetic disgusting holier than thou arrogance and shove it. Your obviously a fan of taking tiny things and overblowing the hell out of them. No sense in arguing with arrogant jack wagons.

Ooh, he mad now. :laugh:

3D2BB32C-6585-4C00-B19E-1DFBD5D62611_zpscyddaz83.gif

Actually, it's much warmer now, as measured by nearly every metric.

This is going to be a lot of sound and fury. Going to go down the list of the usual denialist outposts. Care to know why this one is wrong, or do you have another waiting in the wings?

http://www.newyorker...cts-their-lawns

"....Carol Foyler, a San Mateo resident who has watched her lawn turn from a gorgeous green to a hideous brown during California’s drought, said she blamed scientists “for failing to warn us of the true cost of climate change.”

“They always said that polar bears would starve to death,” she said. “But they never told us our lawns would look like crap.”....

California has a history of long term droughts. If fact the term drought should not be used. Wet and dry cycles that last centuries are more correct. Based on tree ring analysis there have been major long term dry cycles. One started in the 9th century and lasted 240 years. Long before industrialization and long before Europeans ever set foot there.

California has normal climate change. Most humans just happened to show up there in a long wet cycle.

If governor moonbeam is going to ration water he may want to rethink welcoming large numbers of illegal aliens into California during it's long term dry cycle.

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_24993601/california-drought-past-dry-periods-have-lasted-more

California's current drought is being billed as the driest period in the state's recorded rainfall history. But scientists who study the West's long-term climate patterns say the state has been parched for much longer stretches before that 163-year historical period began.

And they worry that the "megadroughts" typical of California's earlier history could come again.

Through studies of tree rings, sediment and other natural evidence, researchers have documented multiple droughts in California that lasted 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years -- compared to the mere three-year duration of the current dry spell. The two most severe megadroughts make the Dust Bowl of the 1930s look tame: a 240-year-long drought that started in 850 and, 50 years after the conclusion of that one, another that stretched at least 180 years.

*sigh*

Yes, please edumacate me

...sigh....

Ooh, he mad now. :laugh:/>

3D2BB32C-6585-4C00-B19E-1DFBD5D62611_zpscyddaz83.gif

Actually, it's much warmer now, as measured by nearly every metric.

Nope, 1.4 degrees since 1880..

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/detect/global-temps.shtml

..and no, I'm not mad about the subject...I don't take kindly to people that can't talk about a subject without becoming holier than thou a-holes

..and no, I'm not mad about the subject...I don't take kindly to people that can't talk about a subject without becoming holier than thou a-holes

Those are surface temperature measurements, which accounts for about 10% of the heating. Look up the Nuccitteli study on the matter. Even then, for a global average, 1.4 degrees is still a ton of extra energy hanging around.

And really, "a-hole?" "Jack-Wagon?" "Shove it?" Nope, not mad at all!

You expect to be taken seriously when you launch into the discussion with the goofy rant right off of the bat, touching on the long since debunked "global cooling" nonsense? I've addressed it many times in the past.

If you had simply expressed skepticism and a willingness to learn on the subject, my tone would have been very different, but you launched right into a silly rant that only reflected your profound ignorance of the subject.

The drought is worse because of increased population shifts to big cities, Big Ag, and water consumption in the Golden State. Tie that to dry conditions and you have drought.

Come on. Drought has never happened in recorded history. This must be caused by the now grown up Hitler youth for Reagan Those waskily republicans are gonna take away every ounce of water!!!....just because they are gosh darn it that smart.

Those are surface temperature measurements, which accounts for about 10% of the heating. Look up the Nuccitteli study on the matter. Even then, for a global average, 1.4 degrees is still a ton of extra energy hanging around.

And really, "a-hole?" "Jack-Wagon?" "Shove it?" Nope, not mad at all!

You expect to be taken seriously when you launch into the discussion with the goofy rant right off of the bat, touching on the long since debunked "global cooling" nonsense? I've addressed it many times in the past.

If you had simply expressed skepticism and a willingness to learn on the subject, my tone would have been very different, but you launched right into a silly rant that only reflected your profound ignorance of the subject.

Yep. You claim I have profound ignorance yet I should show you respect and "learn". Get over yourself. All your high and mighty bs just makes you appear a million times less intelligent than you think you are. I simply made a joke and you went off on a name calling rant claiming your superiority. Save me the speech. I've seen your type before and the rhetoric never changes. Also, In the grand scheme, 1.4 degrees is nothing. It's called a cycle the earth goes through not caused by man. Should we protect the planet? Absolutely. Should we cook up scare tactics and use them for political gain? Well, you know the answer to that (and we see which side you're on).

Hang on, let me brace myself for some real intellect...................better yet, I'll just go somewhere else.

"Don't think twice. It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

-Ferris Bueller

Yup. Still mad.

5878.gif#trolling%20gif

Yep. You claim I have profound ignorance yet I should show you respect and "learn". Get over yourself. All your high and mighty bs just makes you appear a million times less intelligent than you think you are.

No skin off my back whether you like me or not. Could really care less. As long as you come away from this conversation a little more educated on the subject, I'm not at all bothered what you think.

I simply made a joke and you went off on a name calling rant claiming your superiority. Save me the speech. I've seen your type before and the rhetoric never changes.

You must mean the type that points out ignorance when he sees it. Definitely that. Thanks. Sorry you got your fee fees hurt because I called you ignorant with respect to climate science and one of your posts stupid.

Also, In the grand scheme, 1.4 degrees is nothing.

Over the course of a century, 1.4 degrees difference over an area the size of our planet is a metric ****ton of added energy. Do you even physics, bro?

It's called a cycle the earth goes through not caused by man.

Not much evidence to corroborate this claim. As in, little to none. Not that I'm expecting any from you outside of some easily debunked denialist rag.

Just so you know, the reason I pause on your links and ask if you would like me to explain is to avoid being Gish Galloped. Happens very frequently in these conversations.

Should we protect the planet? Absolutely. Should we cook up scare tactics and use them for political gain? Well, you know the answer to that (and we see which side you're on).

Right, the word of the vast majority of the scientific community and all of the corroborating evidence. All lies. :-\

tin-foil-hat-150x150.jpg

Hang on, let me brace myself for some real intellect...................better yet, I'll just go somewhere else.

"Don't think twice. It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

-Ferris Bueller

You'll be missed.

Who am I kidding? You'll be back. They all come crawling back. :bananadance:

Archived