Question about AU's RB situation next year

BamaGrad03

I follow recruiting pretty heavily...and I noticed AU isn't going after a TON of running backs. I know they would love to nab Antone Smith, and also have Mike Ford on their board. But my question is, how comfortable does AU feel with the guys they already have for next year? They are losing two, but probably will only sign one this year. That must mean they have some guys who they feel can come in next year and really produce.

I know they got two guys last year who were supposed to be awesome. You guys seen em play? Whats the depth chart look like next year?

Kenny Irons will probably be the Guy next year w/ Tre and Carl Stewart coming in...If we get Antone S. he could play into that rotation. Brad Lester's a good one as well as Jerald Watson....So, even w/ the two best RBs leaving for the NFL we'll be aight.

I follow recruiting pretty heavily...and I noticed AU isn't going after a TON of running backs. I know they would love to nab Antone Smith, and also have Mike Ford on their board. But my question is, how comfortable does AU feel with the guys they already have for next year? They are losing two, but probably will only sign one this year. That must mean they have some guys who they feel can come in next year and really produce.

I know they got two guys last year who were supposed to be awesome. You guys seen em play? Whats the depth chart look like next year?

134162[/snapback]

Good question, BG...but we are somewhat loaded at the RB position.

There is some argument, but in my mind, I see Carl Stewart as the Ronnie Brown back, and Kenny Irons as the Cadillac type next year. Then you have Tre Smith, who I'm sure you remember from a few of years ago...and then Gerald Watson and Brad Lester too...who can return kicks, play the slot or scat back type positions.

Anytime that you lose backs like Ronnie and Carnell, there's bound to be some drop off...but I think that it's only a matter of a little experience before this group fills in admirably! :au::homer:

Carl Stewart

Brad Lester

Jerald Watson

Tre Smith

All four have had significant playing time. Brad Lester in Special Teams, Watson and Stewart in mop-up mode and against the Citadel, and Tre Smith tore Bama/LSU a new one his freshman year. All were highly regarded talent out of High School. Carl Stewart, a Ronnie Brown clone, was Tennessee's Mr. Football. Lester was a stud running back from Georgia on a three-peating Championship team. Watson is a speed guy that we stole out from under LSU.

But they all pale in comparison to what we saw out of Kenny Irons last year. This guy was a stud in Spring Practice. He looked like Carnell his Junior year. (Carnell danced a LITTLE too much this year) Kenny Irons is the real deal. He had to sit out this year because of his transfer from South Carolina.

From what I've heard, the coaching staff is very comfortable going into next year with the RBs we already have: Irons, Stewart, Smith, Lester, and Watson. Given that, CTT basically has said he doesn't intend to sign a RB this year unless he's a serious stud like Antone Smith.

We may see a three RB may lay next year with kenny Irons, Carl Stewart, and Tre Smith ALL rotating in the mix. With Borges system, it will be interesting to see which one comes out showing the best hands receiving wise. I expect Watson and/or Lester to be handling kick return duties.

We've seen that Borges' system isn't set on having one playmaker (i.e. in the backfield). I'm not too concerned with going after a lot of backs. Obviously, Smith would make a nice addition, but not entirely necessary.

Archived