Media Reasons For Shafting AU...This Time

aucanucktiger

In 1983, I remember the sports commentator for ABC's national news asking after 11-1 AU's 9-7 win over Michigan, "aren't national champions supposed to score touchdowns?" Despite the fact we beat 9 bowl teams by scoring plenty of touchdowns that year, that is the type of dishonest, misleading media statements that are a HUGE reason we got the shaft then and now. Anybody else remember Herbstreit declaring this year "if AU beats Georgia and Alabama, they will and should be number 2". After the Bama game, he said Oklahoma is the legitimate number 2 team in America. This is worse than spineless, it cynically assumes the viewing audience will not hold him accountable. Many of these irresponsible, bizarre guys have VOTES in the polls...and sometimes a Herbsteit has a microphone to spread the ignorance around...

But the next season in 84 BYU won the national championship without beating a ranked opponent.

yet if you are #5 and you beat the #1 team, you can jump to the top?

Screwed up, but it's simply a popularity contest

Miami and Florida State are constantly rated in the top 10 preseason polls whether they finsh 8-5 or 9-4 the previous year.

Miami and Florida State are constantly rated in the top 10 preseason polls whether they finsh 8-5 or 9-4 the previous year. --Auburn85

You forgot Texas, Oaklahoma and Texas. WOW! We already know the top 5 pre-season poll in January. :lol::lol:

next year's top five in no particular order:

usc, oklahoma, texas, michigan, and probably miami

heisman favorites?

reggie bush (herbie has a killer man crush on him which is only trumped by...), dan fouts' new boyfriend vince young, leinart (if he comes back), adrian peterson, and either teddy ginn jr. or devin hester (both of which are currently battling for the honor of lee corso's man affection)

the fact that all of this is about 100% accurate is a joke b/c you know what? none of us have any real idea what will happen next season. none. preseason polling is a joke.

Eh.. Don't bring up Herbie or Corso! They both make me sick! Everyweek I see them on Gameday, listening to their crap that they call knowledge... ugh. They are good TV personalities, but that is all. On the other hand, Mr. Trev Alberts is awesome! He was the only one to say that Auburn should be in the National Championship! :) He knows his stuff..

Florida and UT will be in or near the Top 5. The media loves the orange, and will use the blowout over A&M as evidence that they are back, and the 2 losses to AU were flukes. And the media really loves Urban Meyer and Chris Leak. I bet there isn't a SEC West team in the Top 10 to start the season, depending on the national popularity of LSU's new coach...

Not only will FL and TN be near the top 5 but FSU will always be near the top 5! No matter how bad FSU season was the previous year, they will always be in the preseason top 10!

I got flamed on the other board for suggesting that the SEC won't have a pre-season top 10 team next fall.

ESPN and the polls voters are building up the likes of USC, OU, Mich, Miami, FSU, Iowa, Ohio St, plus the new media darlings, Boise, Texas, & U of L (Petrino).

Maybe UT will slip in around 8 or 9.

Could be a big year of surprises in the SEC in '05. Spurrier will shake up the east. He probably won't win it, but he'll determines who will. Les Miles inherits the best returning talent pool in the West and Urban Meyer inherits the best returning talent in the East. AU & UGA are reloading and may be the teams to beat in each of the divisions. UT should play for the conference championship but SS will probably wax Fulmer before their kickoff.

Buckle up and hold on!

...almost 48 hours into the new year and I haven't had a chance to beat any dead horses yet, so here goes:

1) PLAYOFFS! Involving top four teams at least, preferably top eight

2) AVOID ALL HUMANS! ...and their biases, agendas, and frailities: Playoff berths based solely on won-loss records, defeated opponents' won-loss records, and opponents' opponents' won-loss records (I.e., three-deep "Strength of schedule")

Why not playoffs based on winning your conference? Take 8 conference champions and let them playoff. If you can't win your conference why should you be eligible to win the national championship?

Syracuse was still in the hunt with 5 loses.

Florida State won the ACC with 4 loses a couple of years ago.

This isn't the big dance like college basketball

Only 1 loss or undefeated teams

If they win their conference, they deserve the shot. Oklahoma played in the MNC game last year and didn't win their conference, shouldn't happen. Nebraska didn't even win the conference division several years ago and played in the MNC game, again shouldn't happen. Texas didn't deserve to be in the playoff this year, they didn't win their conference division, much less their conference championship. No way Texas should be in the playoff.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, WAC, MWC, and Big East. They also need to realign the conferences and make them all a minimum of 12 members with a playoff.

If they win their conference, they deserve the shot.  Oklahoma played in the MNC game last year and didn't win their conference, shouldn't happen.  Nebraska didn't even win the conference division several years ago and played in the MNC game, again shouldn't happen.  Texas didn't deserve to be in the playoff this year, they didn't win their conference division, much less their conference championship. No way Texas should be in the playoff.

135382[/snapback]

Pittsburgh won their conference. Is Pitt a better team than a 1-loss Texas team or Louisville? The problem with taking conference winners is eventually, you'll end up with a 3 or 4 loss conference winner in the playoffs and a 1-loss team sitting home because they failed to win their conference over an undefeated team. I agree with Auburn85, you take the eight highest ranked teams if you're speaking of an 8-team playoff format.

And how do you determine the rankings? Use polls, that's still bogus and nothing but opinion. In my opinion, the computers are even worse. If you win your conference, you deserve a chance at the playoffs. If you suck, you'll lose early and that's the end of it all. Bottom line is that if you can win it on the field, you deserve to be there, regardless what your record was in the regular season. This year was an exception with Pitt being in the BCS due to the defections of Va Tech & Miami to the ACC.

And how do you determine the rankings?  Use polls, that's still bogus and nothing but opinion.  In my opinion, the computers are even worse.  If you win your conference, you deserve a chance at the playoffs.  If you suck, you'll lose early and that's the end of it all.  Bottom line is that if you can win it on the field, you deserve to be there, regardless what your record was in the regular season.  This year was an exception with Pitt being in the BCS due to the defections of Va Tech & Miami to the ACC.

135392[/snapback]

Yes, the polls would still be needed to rank them. Pitt is not an exception because FSU won their conference two years ago with three losses. LSU won the SEC in 2001 with 3 losses.

If you suck, you'll lose early and that's the end of it all.

It's not so much that a sorry team makes it to the playoffs, it's the fact that a good team is left out because a weak conference winner makes it in.

Bottom line is that if you can win it on the field, you deserve to be there, regardless what your record was in the regular season.

Really? Would you consider Pitt and equal to Auburn. They both won their conference. The problem I have with selecting conference winners is that the conferences are not equal. Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia and LSU are better teams than Pittsburgh. Winning the Big East or Pac-10 is easier than winning the SEC, Big 10 or Big 12.

Obviously there is no perfect system and if the NCAA elects to go to a playoff system, I would rather see a 4-team playoff. Take the top 4 teams from the BCS and play them in three of the major bowls, rotated every year like they do the MNC game. #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3. The winners of both games play in the Championship game. It would require one extra week and the most games you would end up playing would be 14 in a 11-game regular season. Going by the current BCS rankings, USC would have played Texas and we would have played Oklahoma. I cannot think of a season, where a large majority of fans argued that the #5 team deserved to be National Champs. It's normally a dispute over 1 & 2 and sometimes #3.

my 2 cents

I understand your point, and no I don't think Pitt is better than AU. But if Pitt were to beat Auburn, then I would live with that fact. My problem with a 4 team playoff based on the polls, is you will more than likely have an undefeated Utah left out of the system. In this situation, they should be in in place of a once beaten Texas or Cal. Again, anytime you use polls to determine who goes, you're gonna have problems.

Again, just one man's opinion. I've hated the polls since the 70's.

But if Pitt were to beat Auburn, then I would live with that fact. 

135408[/snapback]

Again, it's not a matter of Pitt beating Auburn, it's a matter of an average Pitt team with 3 losses taking up a playoff slot. The point of even having a playoff system is to make sure that a "good" team is not left out of the running for a championship.

My problem with a 4 team playoff based on the polls, is you will more than likely have an undefeated Utah left out of the system.

Actually, the odds of a major prgram being undefeated and ranked #5 at the end of the regular season is very unlikely. It's rare to have 3 teams undefeated and I cannot recall one season, where the top 5 teams in the country were all undefeated going into the bowl games. There is a reason why Utah and Boise State were not in the top five. They both play in very weak conferences and their victories don't hold the same weight as a victory in one of the BCS conferences. To prove my point, no one outside of Utah is arguing that Utah should be in the Orange Bowl.

If you have a playoff system, there has to be a cutoff at some point. If you pick eight teams, one could argue that the #9 team was just as deserving as the #8 team so why not keep it simple and go with the top four. Can you name a season, where there was a huge outcry for the 5th ranked team being left out of the MNC game? Once again, the dispute is normally about the #1 and #2 team and sometimes the #3 team in the country.

The top 4 teams after the bowl games. Then a two game play off. 1 vs. 4 & 2 vs. 3. Then the winners play for all the marbles.

That would keep the bowls intact and add a play off & a true champion. Or as true as possible. Don't you think?

Speaking of media bias, does anyone think that Texas would jump AU in final poll? Say SC beats OU, they would more thank likely remain number one in all polls and AU wins they should finish #2. But with the love fest going on about Texas during their game and Mack Brown being such a crybaby at the end of the year could that happen? I watched most of the bowl games Saturday and the lack of promotion for the Sugar bowl would leave you to believe that there was not going to be a Sugar bowl. That coupled with a potential low viewer rating tonight could that spell trouble?

If they win their conference, they deserve the shot.  Oklahoma played in the MNC game last year and didn't win their conference, shouldn't happen.  Nebraska didn't even win the conference division several years ago and played in the MNC game, again shouldn't happen.  Texas didn't deserve to be in the playoff this year, they didn't win their conference division, much less their conference championship. No way Texas should be in the playoff.

135382[/snapback]

Pittsburgh won their conference. Is Pitt a better team than a 1-loss Texas team or Louisville? The problem with taking conference winners is eventually, you'll end up with a 3 or 4 loss conference winner in the playoffs and a 1-loss team sitting home because they failed to win their conference over an undefeated team. I agree with Auburn85, you take the eight highest ranked teams if you're speaking of an 8-team playoff format.

135388[/snapback]

EXACTLY! I am absolutely opposed to automatic berths for conference championship game winners.

Does anyone really think Kansas State, at 10-3 after the Big 12 Championship game last year, was more deserving at a MNC playoff berth than Oklahoma at 12-1? Even if Tennessee had beaten us in the SECCG this year, would a 10-2 Vols team be more worthy of a berth in a MNC playoff than an 11-1 Auburn? Does anyone seriously think that Pitt should get a hypotheitcal playoff berth overTexas or Georgia this year?

To repeat myself: Award playoff berths strictly on victories and strength of schedule (i.e., victories by defeated opponents, and their defeated opponents). Remove all human bias by ignoring human polls, and also ignore ridiculously convoluted computer schemes that end up with absurdities like Harvard rated above Auburn, as one computer had this year.

Or as I posted a while back:

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?s...50entry126150

Can you imagine the OOC Schedule if you took the conference champions to a playoff system. How many 1-AA teams can you schedule, heck can you schedule high school teams.

Preseason polls should be stopped

Too much biased in the media. In fact it's only opinion. We're 3 because it was most people's opinion. More people opinion was USC 1 OK 2

Archived