10 questions/thougts

AubTiger14

1. Rodney Garner's defensive line looked like a high school team out there. They were getting blocked like it was a walk through practice for LSU. No disruption. Nobody clogging up running lanes. You look at our starting front 7 and almost every one of them was a 4 or 5 star. It's pathetic. Garner's also supposed to be this great recruiter and we have no depth up front. Zero.

2. Why are we the only team I've watched that gives up about 8 yards every time a team runs a bubble screen on us? Every time

3. We whiffed on Kiehl Fraizer and now Jeremy looks like another bust. Our last two good QBs were JC transfers. Is it scouting? Coaching? Bad Luck? How is Jeremy this bad?

4. Gus is too stubborn.

5. When's the last time you saw this team fired up? Excited to make a play? Showing some energy?

6. Why did we punt on 4th down with 2:00 mins left in the game? LSU was going to kneel anyway. At least try until the clock hits 0:00.

7. I think I would switch linebackers with any other team in the SEC. They literally bite on every single fake. No eye discipline or gap discipline. I miss Jake Holland.

8. Rudy Ford's missed tackle was embarrassing and sadly he's one of leading tacklers. That's how much fire this team has right now.

9. What can we do as fans to get Sean White in the game next week? It's time.

10. What exactly is offsides? Because after that game I'm confused now.

1. Rodney Garner's defensive line looked like a high school team out there. They were getting blocked like it was a walk through practice for LSU. No disruption. Nobody clogging up running lanes. You look at our starting front 7 and almost every one of them was a 4 or 5 star. It's pathetic. Garner's also supposed to be this great recruiter and we have no depth up front. Zero.

2. Why are we the only team I've watched that gives up about 8 yards every time a team runs a bubble screen on us? Every time

3. We whiffed on Kiehl Fraizer and now Jeremy looks like another bust. Our last two good QBs were JC transfers. Is it scouting? Coaching? Bad Luck? How is Jeremy this bad?

4. Gus is too stubborn.

5. When's the last time you saw this team fired up? Excited to make a play? Showing some energy?

6. Why did we punt on 4th down with 2:00 mins left in the game? LSU was going to kneel anyway. At least try until the clock hits 0:00.

7. I think I would switch linebackers with any other team in the SEC. They literally bite on every single fake. No eye discipline or gap discipline. I miss Jake Holland.

8. Rudy Ford's missed tackle was embarrassing and sadly he's one of leading tacklers. That's how much fire this team has right now.

1. I agree

2. Either muschamp is a bust or Johnson coached our players that badly that muschamp hasn't been able to break their previous approach.

3. It could be development. That was one thing that I never cared for with Gus. His ab instruction seemed inconsistent or even poor. I'm still not ready to give up on Johnson for 3 reasons. First, he beat white soundly in the spring which makes me think that white is either not talented or not ready. Second, if the issue is teaching, white would have a lot of similar issues and would be no improvement. Third, Johnson seemed to start getting more comfortable with how we were calling plays in the second half. It's possible that we may start seeing some improvement.

4. I agree

5. I agree especially on defense.

6. I asked the same question, but let's be honest... The game was over at that point.

7. I agree, but I think this is a teaching issue. Johnson messed frost and mckinzy up. It will take some time to undo his poor instruction.

8. If you were talking about being flipped over, I think that was Matthews.

9. See my previous answers for 3 & 4.

10. I'm assuming this was rhetorical???

I'll answer all 10 with one answer: leadership. JJ's no leader and we're missing Lawson more than can be tangibly measured. Even the coaches seem to be looking to Lawson for some coach-level leadership. Lawson not traveling with the team to the game yesterday was a huge mistake.

By the way, have you ever seen such half-you-know-what effort out of Duke? That has to do with JJ, as well, I believe. He appears to be biding his time, just trying to get through the season without injury until he can get to the draft.

"It could be development. That was one thing that I never cared for with Gus. His ab instruction seemed inconsistent or even poor. I'm still not ready to give up on Johnson for 3 reasons. First, he beat white soundly in the spring which makes me think that white is either not talented or not ready. Second, if the issue is teaching, white would have a lot of similar issues and would be no improvement. Third, Johnson seemed to start getting more comfortable with how we were calling plays in the second half. It's possible that we may start seeing some improvement."

My thought is that JJ looks like a QB..... heck, he looks like an NFL QB....6'-5" tall, 245 pounds, can throw the ball 70 yards, etc. etc....all the things a coach thinks he wants in a QB. Check the other guy out....looks nothing like a college or pro QB but has fooled people most of his young career.

Just wondering how long JJ"s HS career stats and stars are going to carry him....time to forget what he did in HS and maybe time to discount what he does in practice too while wearing an orange shirt and playing against a scout team.

As noted elsewhere on this board, there is probably not a Div 1 coach anywhere who would not have taken a look at his back-up QB by now with the kind of performance we have see at AU from JJ this year.

When you have problems like this on both sides of the ball you really have to ask the question about practice. Does JJ look good in practice because def stinks? Or does the defense look good in practice so it looks like JJ is doing the best he can? Overall, the bottom line is we need leadership on both sides of the ball. Someone has to step up or its 2012 and not 2008(atleast the def was decent). LSU is good, but you would hope to atleast be competitive on some level, which we aren't. Gus is smart, but i think this is a learning process for him as well. If we lose to MSSt will people really bail on this guy? What mistakes has he made vs. what he has been able to do so far? I say lets play SJST and then start the Gus or bust talk.

My two cents

We're thin in terms of experience at every position group. It's not just DL. Not saying any coach gets a pass, just pointing out that Garner's no worse than the rest.

Nor do we seem to be as good at executing them. That goes to coaching. Not sure how much we should expect out of Muschamp this early.

Not only did we whiff on them, but those two guys were Gus's hand picked golden children. It's pretty alarming. It might be bad luck, but until we have a high school kid succeed, it's a bad, bad trend.

4. Gus is too stubborn.

Agreed. White should have played by now. Even if he truly didn't play because he's not ready, that's on the coaches. Again, it's pretty alarming.

First half of the Louisville game. Then Jeremy kept throwing picks, Lawson and Matthews left, a mobile QB wore us out and suddenly it's the 2nd half of 2014 again (minus the quality QB play).

No idea.

I still have hope for Cass. Frost's ship has sailed.

Pretty much.

We've done our part. It's up to our stubborn coach now.

Maybe it's in that same nebulous area that holding is.

- Lack of technique, lack of tenacity, lack of coaching. NOT a lack of talent if you put any faith in recruiting services

- Poor recognition, lack of tenacity, lack of coaching (again)

- Yes, JJ being "groomed" for the job for 2 yrs and falling totally flat is beyond alarming. The fact that the last 2 JC transfers came in and had their only/best year before they got "coached up" is sobering.

4. Gus is too stubborn.

- Stubborn is good when results are good. I'll leave that as is.....

- Everyone, especially on D, is looking around for someone else to make the play. I feel for our DBs looking so feeble Saturday. No excuse for it but they were tired of having to hit a freight train that was untouched because our DL and LBs were getting blocked to the sidelines every play. Pathetic.

- Doesn't matter

- Don't miss Jake but abysmal technique is the norm now.

- Why isn't an LB the leading tackler? See above.

- Nothing.

- Bad misses by the refs but PLEASE don't bring this up in mixed company and sound like a whiner. We're so far away from having a bad call decide a game it's sad.

Why are we even talking about getting rid of gus? Does anyone not get that Auburn is ridiculed for the fact that they are perceived to get rid of coaches quickly? He just went to the National championship and has recruited at a high level.

Why are we even talking about getting rid of gus? Does anyone not get that Auburn is ridiculed for the fact that they are perceived to get rid of coaches quickly? He just went to the National championship and has recruited at a high level.

I don't think anyone said to get rid of Gus. We all pretty much feel that Gus can be stubborn, but that's a far cry from wanting him gone. We do, however, want to see some of his assistants get off their butts and start earning the FAT money that they are making. Maybe then, we wouldn't have to watch our 4 and 5 star recruits get pushed around like four year old girls.

Archived