Does Sean's performance change our offense?

Potatooooooes!!

So, for my very first topic I'd like to ask the football savvy people here an honest question. We saw how much better our offense performed when Gus turned Sean loose and let him throw. It seemed we picked up quite a few first downs with the passing game, almost always getting positive yardage except when penalized. Not to mention our impact plays. So my question is, should we have more of a pass offense than run? I'm obviously not saying go full air raid, but it just seems like we should reverse Gus's usual philosophy and pass/run something like 60/40. At the very least we ca use it to open up the run and make big plays, since everyone is stacking the box anyway. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus has said he tailored his current offense to fit JJ. If he decides to go with SW as starter for the rest of the season, he's going to change some things to better use SW's skills. However, I don't think you're ever going to see 60/40 pass from CGM at AU. Not ever.

I would like to see more passing but I'm not sure we have good enough wr's to go 60/40 with the passing.I do think the pass will open up the run game.

Gus offense has to have a solid run game. With SW at QB we have a chance to use the passing game to help the running game and vice versa. The balance will change with SW but it will still feature the run. ok how much improved I two weeks we can win the Ark. game with a little more improvement. Then we need to get better one game at a time.

I'll say this much, Arkansas Defensive Coordinator is currently changing whatever game plan he had in place for us.

Yep. i alluded to this a few days ago. People were wondering how Arky having two weeks to prepare for us would affect our success. I noted that whatever game plan they decide on for defense would likely have to change after the KY game because we were going to see a different offense all together. People wondered how much difference there could possibly be in preparing for SW versus JJ. I guess now they have their answer. IMO, this puts us near even with Arky on prep time now. They won't have to change their offensive plan, as nobody has to actually formulate a plan to play our defense, but their defensive strategy will likely go through major changes.

So what changes? I don't see any changes I'd make. I'm interested. A better question is what did LSU do to jj that they couldn't do to SW?

So what changes? I don't see any changes I'd make. I'm interested. A better question is what did LSU do to jj that they couldn't do to SW?

Ridiculous as usual. If you didnt see a different offense last night, then you are intentionally blind

Gus' usual philosophy is to whittle away with whatever is working, using tempo and misdirection to set up big plays. He has shown that he doesn't particularly care whether that means passing or rushing more. His offense at Tulsa passed more, and I think his high school teams did as well. His Arkansas State offense was more consistent with a 60/40 rush/pass. I do not think Gus would have a philosophical problem with a 60/40 pass/rush percentage or even a 70/30. That said, Gus' offense is no different than any other offense: it cannot succeed consistently in this conference if it is one-dimensional.

We tend to look at it as a 60/40 rush/pass percentage because of 2010, 2013, and 2014. When you have Cam/Dyer/McCalebb, Marshall/Mason/Grant, or Marshall/Artis-Payne/Grant, it just makes sense to rush more and take advantage of big pass plays. Those three combinations of talents would be completely wasted in a pass-heavy offense. I think Gus would ultimately like to be able to run to set up the pass OR pass to set up the run when either rushing or passing is struggling.

Ultimately, Sean White didn't look like he was running the offense any differently than JJ should have if he didn't struggle. The offense was just executing better.

Ridiculous as usual. If you didnt see a different offense last night, then you are intentionally blind

Try to be so smart you're stupid. I didn't say it wasn't a better offense last night (which was because of MANY other things besides SW at qb) I said how would you game plan different. And actually I wasn't talking to you because we both know you don't have an answer

What changes is you now have to contend with a QB who can make passes to multiple parts of the field, both from the pocket and on the move. Any DC who was planning for us in previous games could just stack the box and let our passing game, what little we had of one, defeat itself.

Try to be so smart you're stupid. I didn't say it wasn't a better offense last night (which was because of MANY other things besides SW at qb) I said how would you game plan different. And actually I wasn't talking to you because we both know you don't have an answer

Actually, we both know you have JJ worship syndrome and have tried everything in your little power to convince people that SW has done nothing at all better than JJ. You re suggesting that Arkansas can easily shut down SW the way LSU shut down JJ. That is laughable to be nice. SW stretches the defense to cover the entire field. Arky will have to go more man coverage against SW than they would against JJ. We've all seen JJs response to zone coverage. Your posts on this subject are tired and predictable. Please resort to more name calling all while blaming it on others as well. Its top notch. Oh, and please continue to jab SW for no reason every chance you get all while propping up your favorite qb. In case you missed it, you're pretty much alone on this one now.

What changes is you now have to contend with a QB who can make passes to multiple parts of the field, both from the pocket and on the move. Any DC who was planning for us in previous games could just stack the box and let our passing game, what little we had of one, defeat itself.

DC's were expecting that from the beginning. They weren't game-planning for Auburn's execution issues, they just took advantage of them. Cole is right, the only real difference is that the offense has demonstrated that it can execute what it intended to do all along.

DC's were expecting that from the beginning. They weren't game-planning for Auburn's execution issues, they just took advantage of them. Cole is right, the only real difference is that the offense has demonstrated that it can execute what it intended to do all along.

Thank you, why would you feel SW stretches the field more? If it was me I would still play cover 2 keep everything in front of me make the team drive down the field and crunch them in the re zone.

To the guy struggling with football concepts comparing arky defense to LSU isn't smart, defense is more about personnel than anything of course LSU is going to play more man, they have better d line and better cover corners....

Actually, we both know you have JJ worship syndrome and have tried everything in your little power to convince people that SW has done nothing at all better than JJ. You re suggesting that Arkansas can easily shut down SW the way LSU shut down JJ. That is laughable to be nice. SW stretches the defense to cover the entire field. Arky will have to go more man coverage against SW than they would against JJ. We've all seen JJs response to zone coverage. Your posts on this subject are tired and predictable. Please resort to more name calling all while blaming it on others as well. Its top notch. Oh, and please continue to jab SW for no reason every chance you get all while propping up your favorite qb. In case you missed it, you're pretty much alone on this one now.

This is how I'm dealing with trolls now. You quote and show where I suggested arky can easily shut SW down I'll stop posting on the board, if you can't back up your lie you stop posting. Deal?

Thank you, why would you feel SW stretches the field more? If it was me I would still play cover 2 keep everything in front of me make the team drive down the field and crunch them in the re zone.

To the guy struggling with football concepts comparing arky defense to LSU isn't smart, defense is more about personnel than anything of course LSU is going to play more man, they have better d line and better cover corners....

In comparison to Arkansas, LSU has better everything.

This is how I'm dealing with trolls now. You quote and show where I suggested arky can easily shut SW down I'll stop posting on the board, if you can't back up your lie you stop posting. Deal?

More name calling. Classic classless cole. You were responding to an entire thread based on Arkys game plan. When you said "they" it implies, since this is a discussion about Arky, that you you mean Arky. If you're solely talking about LSU, then you are making completely irrelevant points (not that that is new for you) about going back 3 games to an old opponent for game planning....

Alright, call me some more names. Its all you ever have. Go ahead and take the last attack word (as usual I have to step away from you because you never stop the drivel) so we can quit the thread derailment

It's weird. In theory JJ should stretch the field more. But he was so awful at every other aspect of the game that having that ability didn't mean anything for the offense. Right now SW is doing most things right. He's keeping the ball on the zone reads JUST ENOUGH to where he can pop an occasional 5-6 run from time to time which is a huge help in extending drives. No he doesn't have that cannon arm JJ has (the pass to Jason Smith was beautiful that got called back in the UL game), but he gets the ball to the WRs and only had a few bad passes last night. And most importantly he's not turning the ball over. Does JJ hit Tony Stevens in the end zone at the end of the first half? I would like to think so. But there's also a chance he doesn't see him and attempts to wedge the ball into the middle linebackers face mask.

There were a couple of plays, especially on 3rd downs, where I felt SW made a great play/decision/throw to save the drive. I don't think JJ would've made those plays.

The way I see it though, they constantly dared us to throw the ball because...well....we couldn't. Thus they loaded up the box like the doors of a Best Buy on Black Friday. Now they at least have to respect the pass, right?

More name calling. Classic classless cole. You were responding to an entire thread based on Arkys game plan. When you said "they" it implies, since this is a discussion about Arky, that you you mean Arky. If you're solely talking about LSU, then you are making completely irrelevant points (not that that is new for you) about going back 3 games to an old opponent for game planning....

Alright, call me some more names. Its all you ever have. Go ahead and take the last attack word (as usual I have to step away from you because you never stop the drivel) so we can quit the thread derailment

So they implies arky after I specifically say LSU? This is not an attack you really just can't comprehend. And yes I made it about LSU because it was the last game JJ played and the thread said compare the offense. But don't try to change the subject so you can't show me saying what you claimed, will you stop posting?

So they implies arky after I specifically say LSU? This is not an attack you really just can't comprehend. And yes I made it about LSU because it was the last game JJ played and the thread said compare the offense. But don't try to change the subject so you can't show me saying what you claimed, will you stop posting?

Already did. I said you SUGGESTED. By reading in a thread discussing what Arkansas will do for SW, when you say " what did LSU do to jj that they (implying Arkansas) couldn't do to SW.

This reads as though you are suggesting that Arkansas can do the same thing to SW that LSU did to JJ because there is no reason to bring LSU into how they wouuld gameplan for SW.

Either way, you're saying that DCs would prepare the same way for a qb that has a high completion rate, low interceptions and makes good decisions as they would a qb who has an average completion rate, high ints and very poor decision making. That is just plain not the case.

and calling someone a troll is an attack. Maybe not in your world of hate filled rap, but everywhere else.

We good? Now go delete your account.

But I didn't suggest that so....You should stop posting right? I can't help that you misread a post.

Lmao at hate filled rap....yeah I forgot I was black...thanks for the racial stereotype, it was all I needed to bring me down....lol

But I didn't suggest that so....You should stop posting right? I can't help that you misread a post.

Lmao at hate filled rap....yeah I forgot I was black...thanks for the racial stereotype, it was all I needed

Kids and their rap music these days. Society is going to heck in a hand basket, let me go on and tell ya.

Archived