I got a dog!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like he is doing great.....Such a Colorado dog......snow and river.......straight in it.

Yet he was delivered to the rescue/foster service from Texas.

He's been coming around more and more in terms of progress with strangers and dogs. He's actually started to get along with other dogs, to a degree. It always depends on the other dog's age and size. He gets along with puppies and senior dogs. But if they're about the same age as he, and bigger he flips out.

His farts though. Omg. I came home the other day and it smelled like he crapped in the house.

We surrendered our Golden/Collie mix to the Golden Retriever rescue. We fostered him for about 4 or 5 months. Just found out last week he was adopted by a family with two more just like him. Feel very good about this. :cheers:

Looks like he is doing great.....Such a Colorado dog......snow and river.......straight in it.

He's been coming around more and more in terms of progress with strangers and dogs. He's actually started to get along with other dogs, to a degree. It always depends on the other dog's age and size. He gets along with puppies and senior dogs. But if they're about the same age as he, and bigger he flips out.

His farts though. Omg. I came home the other day and it smelled like he crapped in the house.

lol Heidi doesn't fart she's a diva also being a Fl dog she hate cold water

i had a chocolate lab years ago that would make you vomit. the only thing that helped is Science Diet food. Very expensive, but we used it until we put him outside fulltime.

i had a chocolate lab years ago that would make you vomit. the only thing that helped is Science Diet food. Very expensive, but we used it until we put him outside fulltime.

Now that's funny

He's on Earthborn Holistics, which is grain-free. About $30 for a 14lb bag and the cats are on Wellness(dry for one cat, wet for the other because he's a tailless Manx). So I definitely feel it in the wallet. But in the end, it's better for them in terms of ingredients/fat content. We were pissed when we found out about Blue Buffalo had been lying about their ingredients, thought we were feeding our pets quality food but it wasn't any better than grocery store food.

Dobby's main gas problem, which combined with his salmon flavored food, is the fact that he likes to eat other dogs' poop. It's infuriating when people don't pick up after their dogs.

We surrendered our Golden/Collie mix to the Golden Retriever rescue. We fostered him for about 4 or 5 months. Just found out last week he was adopted by a family with two more just like him. Feel very good about this. :cheers:/>

That's great news. I think one day we will get a full bred puppy to be Dobby's buddy. But we also intend on always trying to rescue an adult dog.

I'm so glad we were patient with Dobby because he was so standoffish toward me, that if we wound up "putting him back in the system", he may have never been adopted. Thankfully, the service we went through does strictly fostering so he wouldn't have been turned over to a kill shelter.

We almost turned him back in on at least one occasion, mostly because of me. I always wanted a dog to call my own, and then I got one and he was terrified of me and didn't want to be nearby. All I told my wife was that I wanted him to wag his tail at me, so I'd know he actually liked me...sure enough on the last week before we decided to turn him back in, he wagged his tail weakly at me.

Sadly, you can never tell what they've been living with. Combine that with personality and it can be a chore for certain pups..Glad you made it. Few things as great as a dog.

Sadly, you can never tell what they've been living with. Combine that with personality and it can be a chore for certain pups..Glad you made it. Few things as great as a dog.

He had very little, if any history. It's pretty easy to see that he was likely a stray/neglected. He has scars all over, nothing very significant. But that leads us to believe he probably had some bad encounters with other dogs.

He doesn't like men, and the way he reacts if I try to move I him in bed also leads me to believe that he was reprimanded by his previous "owner" anytime he got in bed. It took him a while to get used to sleeping in bed with us.

What's weird to me, is that he's barked at me exactly one time. And that was the first day we got him and I came home from work.

We surrendered our Golden/Collie mix to the Golden Retriever rescue. We fostered him for about 4 or 5 months. Just found out last week he was adopted by a family with two more just like him. Feel very good about this. :cheers:/>

That's great news. I think one day we will get a full bred puppy to be Dobby's buddy. But we also intend on always trying to rescue an adult dog.

I'm so glad we were patient with Dobby because he was so standoffish toward me, that if we wound up "putting him back in the system", he may have never been adopted. Thankfully, the service we went through does strictly fostering so he wouldn't have been turned over to a kill shelter.

We almost turned him back in on at least one occasion, mostly because of me. I always wanted a dog to call my own, and then I got one and he was terrified of me and didn't want to be nearby. All I told my wife was that I wanted him to wag his tail at me, so I'd know he actually liked me...sure enough on the last week before we decided to turn him back in, he wagged his tail weakly at me.

we were good with Connor but felt it was unfair to keep him crated for 10-12 or more hours a day. he was great with all people and animals, fully house and kennel trained but if you left him unattended he chewed up everything he could find. i couldn't trust him to leave him even in the yard alone and didn't like confining him. he also had cataracts that may eventually be about 2 grand$ to fix. we told the rescue about this and gave them the paper work from the Vet. showing the diagnosis and vaccines he had been given. we even gave the last two months of flea pills we bought. we are not going to get another dog for a while unless we just happen up on one that fits all our requirements( no puppies!). we still have the 8 year old shitzoo (sp) that is no trouble at all. that is enough.

I hear you on keeping him crated. We were able to adjust our schedules so someone is always home with him. As long as we pick up before we leave the house and he's had his walk, which is usually over a mile, we can leave him out of his crate.

We left him out one day and he got into my wife's box of tampons. We panicked and thought he ate a couple and rushed him off to the ER. They did X rays and induced vomiting to no avail. So they said if he ate any it likely passed into his lower intestine and to get him wet food. So I dropped wife and dog off at home and headed to the pet store. Wife did a little investigating and discovered he hadn't eaten any at all. So I got him a toy as consolation.

Long story short, we basically bought my dog a $500 toy.

I hear you on keeping him crated. We were able to adjust our schedules so someone is always home with him. As long as we pick up before we leave the house and he's had his walk, which is usually over a mile, we can leave him out of his crate.

We left him out one day and he got into my wife's box of tampons. We panicked and thought he ate a couple and rushed him off to the ER. They did X rays and induced vomiting to no avail. So they said if he ate any it likely passed into his lower intestine and to get him wet food. So I dropped wife and dog off at home and headed to the pet store. Wife did a little investigating and discovered he hadn't eaten any at all. So I got him a toy as consolation.

Long story short, we basically bought my dog a $500 toy.

:lol:

He had very little, if any history. It's pretty easy to see that he was likely a stray/neglected. He has scars all over, nothing very significant. But that leads us to believe he probably had some bad encounters with other dogs.

He doesn't like men, and the way he reacts if I try to move I him in bed also leads me to believe that he was reprimanded by his previous "owner" anytime he got in bed. It took him a while to get used to sleeping in bed with us.

What's weird to me, is that he's barked at me exactly one time. And that was the first day we got him and I came home from work.

Meh, natural for him to be wary if a man was his prev owner and not a good one...time and experience will sooth those wounds if they are there.

I SERIOUSLY pay attention to the people our pups like and don't like....as it turns out, they've been great judges of character and content.....So if my pups don't like you, I likely won't either....lol...They are great with the kids....every night they pile up and chill. Very protective and loving. We have grown to a rather large family, so they get a lot of attention and play.

Not too long ago, we lost a bulldog to a heart attack. Like cutting off a leg.. Love has a cost. He was a great little guy.

He's definitely a good judge of character. Some people he completely ignores, like the bum that hangs out(that keeps getting taken away by the police) at the park next to our complex, then he'll bark and get wild around a dude in khakis and a polo.

Sorry to hear about your bulldog. What led to us even getting a dog was losing our 4 year old cat(Gumbo) to heart failure(also talk about crazy money spent). One day wife came home and heard liquid-y sounds coming from his nose. Turned out it was fluid in his lungs. Poor guy, he was just born with a bad heart. Dealt with that for about 8 months, and it was rough. Administering meds to a cat via a pill shooter 2 times a day was taxing. He wouldn't take them any other way. Finally one day he had an episode and we knew it was time to put him down. We got him shortly after we started dating, so it was really rough.

These two were attached at the hip, Gumbo is the big one:

4593E5b.jpg

Odd thing is that Dobby exhibits some familiar traits to Gumbo. Loves his belly scratched, eats ravenously(although that's probably due to his original "owner"), and decides to get up and leave the room and pull a "grandpa" and get in bed early. No offense, Golf.

But one of the best things of all is that Stash has taken to snuggling with him on occasion.

Here they are sharing a heating pad:

Zc2DorJ.jpg

Hah, cool they get along so well......Like the names, Stash, Gumbo and Dobby..in Colorado, you give me a heating pad and I'm in!!!

We have Spike and Watson now...Spike was so named because he had a mini football toy and he would literally spike it in front of you to get some playtime. Watson was a three time loser at keeping a home so he was named after Watson Brown....Football coach...(sorry Watson)....He was a rescue and had some issues similar to Dobby..

Odd thing is that Dobby exhibits some familiar traits to Gumbo. Loves his belly scratched, eats ravenously(although that's probably due to his original "owner"), and decides to get up and leave the room and pull a "grandpa" and get in bed early. No offense, Golf.

But one of the best things of all is that Stash has taken to snuggling with him on occasion.

Here they are sharing a heating pad:

Zc2DorJ.jpg

Lol none taken and it's true. Smart dog

• 4 weeks later...
Guest NC1406

So how is the pup doing now? My wife works with a GSD rescue group and we foster dogs to prep them for adoption. its great you adopted.

I took ownership of my late mother's German Shephard called sweets. Sweets minds so well but she has this alpha-dog thing going on with the rest of my dogs and has already bit two of my dog's ears, breaking the skin and causing blood. Pretty scared that she will turn on my 22 month old and my three month old girls but I'm hoping( praying) it's only a dog thing towards other dogs. Any German Shephard owners on this board?

I took ownership of my late mother's German Shephard called sweets. Sweets minds so well but she has this alpha-dog thing going on with the rest of my dogs and has already bit two of my dog's ears, breaking the skin and causing blood. Pretty scared that she will turn on my 22 month old and my three month old girls but I'm hoping( praying) it's only a dog thing towards other dogs. Any German Shephard owners on this board?

one in neighborhood growing up. He would attack male dogs and cats killing some. Tore up trash repeatedly never harmed a person.

one in neighborhood growing up. He would attack male dogs and cats killing some. Tore up trash repeatedly never harmed a person.

Good. Lord knows I don't want to put a bullet into that dogs brain and I don't want to live with the regret of knowing I could've prevented the dog's attacking one of my kids. For now, she is just fine around the kids. She likes to sleep at the front door so that makes me feel pretty darn good home security wise.

Perhaps he just needs time to acclimate to new surrounding and people. I'm sure he's in a bit of a state of shock being thrust into a new environment. Keep us updated.

My condolences for your mom.

My new pup got out and ran away today...turns out my daughter didn't close the gate all the way. 4 month old beautiful golden retriever on the loose without her collar (wife had just taken it off to add a new tag). Unlikely to ever see her again. Sure hope we find her. She had just learned to go up the ladder in my daughters swing set and go down the slide. Great dog. My 4 yo daughter was her best friend. To top it off, my wife saw a dead dog just 1/2 mile up the road from our house. Same size and color. I went to clean her up and it wasnt her. Emotional day. Praying she is returned. She will be missed.

Archived