can anyone explain grayshirting?

aubiefifty

Is this kid talented enough for us to bring aboard? This would be a cool story if we signed him and in a couple of years he intercepts a pass from a bammer QB and runs it back for the winning TD. This would be beyond funny!

Alabama has not failed one time to honor the "greyshirt". Many feel that with Riley Cole, he was more than likely told up front, but in his mind, all he heard was scholarship. When he came on his OV, it was mentioned again. He then went home and got pissed about the possibility. Kids often hear only what they want. We all know that. I hate that the kid signed elsewhere.

As for the process, I think it helps a kid that may be recovering from an injury, needs more weight, needs to mature more, and to eliminate a more than likely redshirt should he enroll on time.

That's funny! How many were, like Cole, promised scholarships and then had them downgraded to greyshirt offers in the final few days? Philon and the running back from Atlanta that refused the greyshirt and signed with Kentucky come immediately to mind. If I think about it I can come up with at least five or six more that were lied to by UAT. Lies are how the tide rolls.

Alabama has not failed one time to honor the "greyshirt". Many feel that with Riley Cole, he was more than likely told up front, but in his mind, all he heard was scholarship. When he came on his OV, it was mentioned again. He then went home and got pissed about the possibility. Kids often hear only what they want. We all know that. I hate that the kid signed elsewhere.

As for the process, I think it helps a kid that may be recovering from an injury, needs more weight, needs to mature more, and to eliminate a more than likely redshirt should he enroll on time.

That's funny! How many were, like Cole, promised scholarships and then had them downgraded to greyshirt offers in the final few days? Philon and the running back from Atlanta that refused the greyshirt and signed with Kentucky come immediately to mind. If I think about it I can come up with at least five or six more that were lied to by UAT. Lies are how the tide rolls.

In other words, whatever helps you sleep at night.

JP Wilson, Drew Davis, Bradley Bozeman, Christian Bell, are some that the greyshirt have worked quite well with. You have to look at it from the eyes of a 17-18 year old and not from our ages(45 here). Kids don't always hear "everything" that is said. Think about how many times you have told your own kids to do multiple things, and do it at once; ( dishes, trash, room, etc). Then only 2 of them get done. It happens!

The question isn`t about honoring the greyshirt; the question is about honoring the scholarship offer. Really big difference. If you offer a scholly and encourage the kid to not talk to anyone else, you damn sure better keep your word. This kid kept his, Saban didn`t as has been his history.

The question isn`t about honoring the greyshirt; the question is about honoring the scholarship offer. Really big difference. If you offer a scholly and encourage the kid to not talk to anyone else, you damn sure better keep your word. This kid kept his, Saban didn`t as has been his history.

bait and switch

: a sales tactic in which a customer is attracted by the advertisement of a low-priced item but is then encouraged to buy a higher-priced one

: the ploy of offering a person something desirable to gain favor (as political support) then thwarting expectations with something less desirable

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bait%20and%20switch

Archived