How do you think our 2016 will go? 9 wins seem plausible?

Auburn06

Like coaches know what they are talking about.

This is a poor attempt at sarcasm.

It was actually a pretty great attempt at sarcasm, because bird happens to be a coach.

Debatable imo

Some days I question it too.

Well there's your problem. You just aren't arrogant enough to be a good coach. ;D

oh he has that covered no problem

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was actually a pretty great attempt at sarcasm, because bird happens to be a coach.

Debatable imo

Well there's your problem. You just aren't arrogant enough to be a good coach. ;D/>

I'm definitely the outlier. It amazes me how arrogant some coaches are. I always say there is a thin line between arrogance and confidence.

Debatable imo

Well there's your problem. You just aren't arrogant enough to be a good coach. ;D/>

Damn right!

Debatable imo

Damn right!

Thank you

Since I'm one of the folks that peed WDE's leg for being negative and he responded by being reasonable and sunny (probably not just in response to me), I'll toss out some of my concerns.

On the OL, we looked dangerously thin on the edge. Leff and Golson looked good. James looked okay. Carr looked lost. That's a tough spot to be that thin. I like Coach Hand, and I think our first five will be good. I don't know that we're in position to compensate for injuries on the outside. Inside is less of a concern to me.

If White is the starter (and I think he will be), we're going to ask more of our WRs, and I'm not sure they're ready to match his level of play. Marcus Davis might be. I haven't heard a lot of sunny reviews on Tony Stevens. If our top two guys are Ryan and Marcus Davis, we're going to make the Amendola/Edelman combo look big. That puts a lot of pressure on freshmen to produce, and that's even more troubling given their position coach is coaching his first rodeo.

The DL looks great, but consistency is still the question mark. I don't even question the consistency of the rush. It's the run game that concerns me more. We were eaten up by read option and misdirection edge runs last year, and I saw a lot of the same hyper-aggressive pursuit at A-Day. If our Ends can't anchor the run, we're going to pay for that again this year. And just like last year, I thought Adams played amazing at times and way too upright at others. He wasn't alone. If we're going to be stouter against the run while playing a 4-2-5 most of the time (and it seems like we will), the defensive line has to make a larger share of the stops. Until they show they can do that, I'll be nervous.

I really liked Atkinson and D. Williams at A-Day. I've heard good things about Davis, and Tre looks legit. That's only four guys though. We might have solid front-line talent at LB (which would be an improvement), but we're still painfully thin there.

I won't even tough the QBs. I can't trust Jeremy. I'm the biggest believer in guys improving and turning it around. He just seems like the same guy I saw last year. Personally, I didn't think he looked any better against Memphis than he did earlier. He was just asked to do less. That leaves White and Franklin, and the latter has some of the worst mechanics I've ever seen. He makes Tebow look like a technician. I don't know how he'll ever be a consistent passer that way, which means we don't have a lot of options. Run the ball, a lot, or play White and pray he doesn't get hurt. I'm on board with Option Two, but it's a risk.

All that said, I saw more to be optimistic and excited than I did to the contrary. I sometimes just get tired of folks insisting on focusing only on the bad stuff.

Im pretty optimistic, but I do agree with most of these concerns. I also think the DEs have really got to start protecting the edge on the runs more consistently. To many times they were either getting ate up by double teams, or couldn't get off single blocks. Hell, a few times the back side end over pursued so badly the RBS would just run the direction the end was coming from for big gains. The ends would also get caught up in a weird inside stunt with no one having contain on the outside. Which I find puzzling for a 4-2 type defense. Hopefully they lock it down and turn everything in this year, but I will have to see it to believe it.

Archived